2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning a K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:46 PM
04stx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning a K&N filter

I put an CAI on my truck witch includes a K&N filter, however, I didn't find the information on how to clean the filter when it gets dirty . They did include the oil, now if I only knew how to apply it when needed. Thank for any information you can provide.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM
CameronA710
Junior User
If it's new you shouldnt need to clean it for about 6 months give or take. You can buy a cleaning kit from any autoparts store. There are instructions with the kit, but just spray it with the cleaner and let it soak for about ten minutes then rinse with the hose. Once it's dry just apply the aeorsol oil evenly around the filter. I'm sure others have different methods of cleaning them too.

http://www.modtopperformance.com/Per...aning_kit1.jpg

Old 01-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
x2 with what he said

the cleaning kit is $15 at almost all parts stores.

use it, and blast that filter with your garden hose and let it sit out in the sun for a few hours to dry out afterwards.

ONLY USE THE MINIMUM AMOUNT OF OIL YOU HAVE TO when re-oiling the filter. too much oil will cause it to entrain and the MAF will get gunked up...and then the truck will run like crap until you clean it

Old 01-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Gearbanger 101
Senior User
No need to spend $15 on a cleaning kit. Regular old Ivory dish soap works just as well. Run it back and forth through a bucket of dish soap and some scalding hot water a few times to cut the dirt and oil residue, then rinse it off with some more hot water and repeat as necessary and you're good. You can blow it dry with some compressed air, but don’t hold it so close that you’re going to damage the cotton elements. Otherwise, if you’ve got the time, just let it drip dry.

When the time comes for you to re-apply the oil, don’t over-oil it (make sure it’s fully covered, but not dripping wet) and only saturate the outside layers of the filter. The engine vacuum will handle drawing it through to the other side when the time comes to cover the remainder.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 AM
04stx
New User
Okay, thanks everyone. I now have a few options and a much better understanding on what I need to do to clean the filter. I do plan to check out the cleaning kit, however, after looking it over if it looks like nothing more then and rinse and dry solution I may try the ivory soap solution.

Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:19 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When you oil it. Let it sit on a work bench or a table for a couple with rag underneath it,that way any excess oil will drip out and onto the rag instead of into the filter housing.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 PM
04stx
New User
1ATony,

Thanks for the advice, did you mean to say a couple or hours? The other thing I was curious about is that whether I needed to oil the filter when I first purchased it prior to installing it?

Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 04stx
1ATony,

Thanks for the advice, did you mean to say a couple or hours? The other thing I was curious about is that whether I needed to oil the filter when I first purchased it prior to installing it?
The one I had for the Mustang came pre oiled, and so did the one for the ATV. I'm 99% sure they all come with oil already on them new. I did buy a valve cover breather and that had to be oiled.

The directions said to oil it and let it sit for a like an hour or so then to put the vent on.

If you let it sit for a bit, it the excess oil won't find its way onto an sensors.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:15 PM
04stx
New User
1ATony,

That's what I thought but was not sure (filter pre-oiled), however, I will do as you mentioned and let the filter sit for an hour or so after I clean it and put fresh oil on it.

Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:43 PM
PSWP
Freshman User
I think before you get too far down the road with your K&N filter you should check out the link below. This is actual test data so you can understand what you are doing to your motor by using a K&N or any other reusable filter. Bottom line: our trucks do not require the amount of air flow that these filters allow, and more air flow through the given element area = more dirt through the element. By washing the element you only damage it. It would be nice to see the ISO test show results from reusable filters that have been washed several times. Good Luck.

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

Old 01-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Gearbanger 101
Senior User
The filters do in fact come pre oiled. The filter when pre-oiled is pink and looks like it was soaked in transmission fluid. The filter element itself when dry (clean) is a white in colour.

The filter itself isn't what catches and traps the dirt, but the combination of the filter and the oil together. As stated above, improvements (horsepower gains) seen from a filter alone may in fact be negligible, but there's no question that the oiled cotton filter element utilized on the K&N filters much more efficiently than the stock paper filter a factory vehicle is saddled with.

What also needs to be considered is the considerable increase in surface area between the stock Motorcraft paper unit and the K&N. In some cases, K&N filters have been known to encompass 4 and 5 times the filterable surface area over a stock paper unit.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
one in my stangs more a greyish color than a white when its "cleaned" till i respray it with red oil...

Originally Posted by 04stx
1ATony,

i tend to let mine sit for 2 hrs after its been oiled... instructions say 1.. but i go for 2 just to be on the safe site...

Originally Posted by 1ATony
If you let it sit for a bit, it the excess oil won't find its way onto an sensors.
wouldnt believe how many people ive heard say k&N ruins the maf from that... most times i think its more user error of over oiling the things than it happening from right outta the box...

btw when you go to clean it dont make the mistake i did and clean it in the bath tub... i got yelled at for the red ring stain around the tub lol... it eventually came up.. but had a pink tub for a couple days lol

Old 01-14-2010, 09:59 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Sparky83
one in my stangs more a greyish color than a white when its "cleaned" till i respray it with red oil...

i tend to let mine sit for 2 hrs after its been oiled... instructions say 1.. but i go for 2 just to be on the safe site...

wouldnt believe how many people ive heard say k&N ruins the maf from that... most times i think its more user error of over oiling the things than it happening from right outta the box...

btw when you go to clean it dont make the mistake i did and clean it in the bath tub... i got yelled at for the red ring stain around the tub lol... it eventually came up.. but had a pink tub for a couple days lol

Shawn you rock.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:43 PM
PSWP
Freshman User
"The filter itself isn't what catches and traps the dirt, but the combination of the filter and the oil together. As stated above, improvements (horsepower gains) seen from a filter alone may in fact be negligible, but there's no question that the oiled cotton filter element utilized on the K&N filters much more efficiently than the stock paper filter a factory vehicle is saddled with."

So I take it, you did not look at the test report. K&N is less efficient. Take a look at graph 5 "Dirt Passed v.s. Total Test Time". It states "Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt" What part of this shows that a K&N is more efficient that a stock paper filter? Sorry, I will stick to my stock Motorcraft filter.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:06 PM
04stx
New User
I guess I need to check out the link on the effectiveness of K&N filters. I was under the impression that K&N provided at least the same engine protection with a increased air flow. If this is not the case I will need to rethink whether I want to continue using it.

Quick Reply: Cleaning a K&N filter