Sponsored by:

New waterpump-still leaking at bolt.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Benjitis
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New waterpump-still leaking at bolt.

Replaced waterpump and have had it on and off 4 times in the last week due to it leaking at the lower bolt by lower radiator hose. Tried sealing with new gaskets and permatex gasket dressing, then tried with waterpump sealer on new gaskets, then tried blue rtv permatex on new gasket, finally tried with aviation permatex formagasket on a new gasket. The SOB leaked at the same lower bolt every f'ing time. And i noticed this last time around that all the bolts were slightly loose after a short drive, and i torqued the bolts to factory specs. Now what? New gasket no sealer. Threadlocker on bolts, etc.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:53 PM
cwlightning03
Freshman User
What I always do is use a small bead of weatherstrip adhesive on the water pump where the gasket rides. Place the gasket and let that dry for about 15 minutes, then put a VERY thin layer of either Permatex RTV or Right Stuff (not GREAT STUFF :-) ) on the opposite surface of the gasket. Then I like to use liquid teflon tape (thread sealer) on the bolts (make sure the threads are clean) and torque them down. If you use RTV on both sides of the gasket, it likes to split and slip out sometimes.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Benjitis
Freshman User
Thanks!! I'll give that a try in the morning