1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Retry on first post - fender question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:56 PM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Retry on first post - fender question

As a newbie I think I have something to learn about posting to the forum. My first attempt never appeared. Here is a second try.

About two weeks ago I purchased a 51 F1 pickup, sight unseen. Yes, I know there is a hazard in doing that. I trusted the description and the pictures on an eBay ad. The seller agreed to the sale and to keep the truck in his storage until spring arrives.

From the photos I can see that the old beast will need fenders, at least on the right front corner. I have checked a couple of vender sources, BOTP and Mac's, and I see that they sell fibergalss replacement fenders. Are there any other choices (steel?) and what are the pitfalls / advantages / disadvantages to the fiberglass parts? This will be my first attempt at a restoration. My skills and resources are limited. I am not interested in having a show truck, just an occasional driver / cruiser that is safe, reasonably reliable, and presentable.

Thanks in advance to any and all who may offer a reply.

Respectfully yours,
Rob Blubaugh (brit_wheels_fan) - Rensselaer, Indiana

Old 01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Rob. Congratulations on your 'new' truck. For replacing the fenders on your '51, your choices would be aftermarket fiberglass or used, original steel. No one makes new metal fenders for our trucks. I have not seen your truck, or know what exactly is wrong with your existing parts, but most times, the fenders are repairable, unless they are totally crumpled from accident damage. A lot will depend on what's wrong with them and what your skill level is for sheet metal work, or that of people you know.

Advantages/disadvantages to fiberglass is they are not steel, and therefore not original. To some people that is a big deal, others couldn't care less. They very commonly need considerable 'massaging' to make fit correctly, and may develop cracks over the years from stress and vibration. On the plus side...they don't rust. ;-) They can also be an affordable and easy alternative to paying someone a couple grand to do metal repairs for you, if you don't have the skills or tools to do it yourself. It just depends on what you want to achieve from your truck, and how you want to get there. There have been many discussions about metal repairs and fiberglass fitting very recently here on the forum. You might start with a search on the subjects.
Good luck with your project. We're looking forward to seeing pictures of your rig.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:27 PM
hamz52
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard to tell but if that is your truck in the picture it sure looks alot like it has F2 or larger front fenders...If so it will make replacing them alot easier. I have 2 fairly nice ones that I can't hardly give away.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I looked at your garage pic and couldn't positively tell if they were F1 or F2+. But they did look like they weren't in that bad of shape. All the F-Series truck fenders rusted out there.

You'll be very hard pressed to find a set of F1 fenders in better shape than those - and for under $500-$700!!!!!

I wouldn't do the fiberglass thing. You'll spend as much time tring to get them to fit right, and then keeping them from cracking from rocks in the back, as you will fixing the metal ones.

When youget more pictures, post them! And we can tell you about all the cool stuff on your truck!

Welcome to FTE!

I'd plan on fixing those. It's not that difficult and lots of folks here who have don eit can help you out.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:20 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Welcome to the board!!

who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and stumble upon a good parts truck for next to nothing with good fenders on it (hey, a man's got to have his dreams....lol).

Enjoy the ride
Bobby

Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 PM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Thank you 52 Merc, Hamz52, and Julie. I am happy to see that I can now post messages. As I had indicated, I had some trouble on an earlier attempt.

I have no experience in doing metalwork or welding. The fibergalss option seemed a good one, but now I am questioning that based on your comments concerning installation and the problems with cracking. I am yet to see the old truck I have purchased so I cannot tell the full extent of the rust damage. In the photos is appears to be extensive, but I recall that the old 51 my father had was badly rusted and my mother - with no tools, no shop to work in, and no experience at all did a decent fix up of that old truck when it had about 200K miles on it. The result looked good at first, but eventually the bondo she plugged into window screen mesh that was stuffed into the rust holes fell out. - To be expected. She had to paint it twice because the first paint that she acquired was not all all the correct color. The second time she got it right. She used a sprayer from an old Kirby sweeper doing the work outside under some shade trees. On the second spray she borrowed a neighbors air compressor and a proper spray gun. She did this about 50 years ago. Mom was a city girl from Manchester, England and could do just about anything when she made up her mind to have a go at it. SURELY, if my late mother could do it - I can too! This is part of the legacy that has finally prompted me to acquire a 51 Ford pickup.

I have done some mechanical restoration work on MG and Triumph cars I have owned, but body work is one part I have left alone. Perhaps the Ford pickup body work can be a project for a course that I might take at a community college.

Again, thanks for your replies. I can see that this is going to be a challenge but I think it is going to be enjoyable. I have a feeling there is a solid support group right here on the FTE web site.

Respectfully yours,
Rob Blubaugh

Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 PM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Thanks bobbytmn! Your reply came through as I was writing a thank you to the others who have replied.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:53 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Actually, the community college body shop class is an excellent idea. It will give you basic instruction for metal work, welding, and finish work, and give you enough knowledge to really have some fun with your truck. (Or maybe enough to be dangerous. LOL)

That's a great story about your Mom! With a little proper instruction, I think you should be able to do at least as good as she did. ;-) Cheers!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:00 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Also want to congratulate you on becoming a proud owner of the better design of the Bonus Built era trucks.

As for your fenders, to me, they appear to be from an F1. Looks like someone along the years decided to turn them into a sculpture and used a ton of bondo on them. In case you're not aware, there's an upper and lower fender on each side. The upper fender is the majority, while the lower fender is a small portion.

First thing that I'd do is to take the fenders down to bare metal. You'll then see what the issues are and will figure out a repair choice.

Just to let you know, finding any decent/workable 48-52 F1 fenders is hard. Finding a good pair of 51/52 fenders is even harder. Less 51/52 trucks were produced than 48-50. Supply and demand drives up the price. I've sold decent upper fenders only with the bottoms completely rusted through (at the running board area) for $200 a piece. A good set of lower fenders would usually sell for $150-200.

Fiberglass fenders are one-piece and will require some finessing to fit. If it were me, I'd keep looking for a decent set of original steel fenders. Check Craigslist for the surrounding areas, as well as eBay. You might come upon a parts truck with better fenders. Keep the fenders and sell the rest. You'll make your money back, plus some.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:16 PM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Wow! The the quick response to the posting is encouraging! In response to Julie's and Hamz52's comments wondering about whether this truck is an F1 or F2, I have posted to 'my garage' the four photos of the truck that were part of the eBay ad. I thought I was getting an F1 pickup, but I am happy with it what ever it is! (Getting anxious to go and have a look at it too.) Please, if anyone would be inclined to look at the photos, I would be happy for you to tell me any other information that you can determine from the pictures. The owner (seller) did not indicate that it was a 5 Star Cab. I told him months ago (it has been on eBay off and on for almost a year) that I thought it was. I have been watching 51 Ford pickup listing for quite a while and I think the double blade trim on the side of the hood, the keyhole lock on the passenger's door are indications of a 5 Star Cab. I believe other features of the deluxe cab were a dome light, dual horns under the hood, bright trim around the windshield (can't see from the photo if it has that), trim panels on the doors, two tone colors on the seat material, and a toolbox above the gas tank. I have not seen the inside of the cab so I don't know what I'll find there. My dad's old 51 had these features. (Can't believe he was able to purchase anything deluxe. He never had two nickles to rub together in those days.) The seller of the truck I have bought says it has a "personal fan" in the cab. I recall my dad's truck had one of these and it had funky little rubber fan blades. (A fascinating thing for a small boy to play with!) Hey, U'm having fun with this old truck before I have collected it or even seen it.

Thanks again for all the replies. The FTE forums are impressive!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:04 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks like an F1 to me........aside from the front fenders, it looks like a pretty staight old truck.......t/m

Old 01-11-2010, 06:12 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I am not the that familiar with the 5 star details however Julie is. That said, all trucks had the passenger side door lock. The 5 star also had a drivers door lock. The five star also had the chromed vent window frames I believe.
It sounds like you are ready to tackle some projects on the truck. If at all possible try to get it running and driving and enjoy it some before going after the cosmetic/sheet metal projects. I did and you will be glad that you did,

Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Yep, It's an F1. The only Extra Cab options I can see in the one picture is the extra hood moldings. I'm sure we will pick up more as th ephotos flow in around March.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great as is. Make it road safe, fix only what needs fixing and enjoy it. I wish I could be doing the same. I had a bad wiring condition so, I'm not practicing what I'm preaching. But it was necessary to be safe. I'm doing the paint and pretty stuff last. Try not to let is snowball.

congrats and good luck.

bob

Old 01-11-2010, 11:07 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would repair your metal fenders if they are repairable if I were you but I would not spend a lot of money on replacement metal fenders (like $500-700 bucks). Although I respect the opinions of others here who prefer metal to fiberglass fenders I am of a different opinion. I'm running four fiberglass fenders and glass running boards on my 48 F-3 (converted to F-1) and will be using front fiberglass fenders on my 49 F-1. I have had no issues with cracking or installing them and I do not have a lot of experience with fiberglass. I think it depends a lot on where you get them. Check with Bebops.

Before:

After:

Quick Reply: Retry on first post - fender question