Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carburetor Problems

Old 01-13-2000, 01:53 PM
jcheyn
Junior User
Carburetor Problems

I am rebuilding A 2 barrel Motorcraft (2150) carb and have problem. In trying to remove the butterfly plates off the main assembly I broke both screws that hold the plate to the shaft. The screws are 3/16" hex head. They appear to have screwdriver slits milled into the back side.

Question 1: How do I get the screws on the other plate off without destroying them?

Question 2: Once I get the plates off how do I get the shaft out?

Question 3: How do I fix this once I get it apart?

Old 01-13-2000, 04:58 PM
Phillip Guidry
Posting Guru
Carburetor Problems

First off, what prompted you to want to remove the shaft ? The kit may come with replacement screws (hopefully in your case),but the shaft should only be removed for renewal. Sure there may be a little felt seal that goes next to the base, but it doesnt stop the vacuum leaks that occur there from worn out parts.Ok, to fix it, grab the other end with lock pliers and hopefully you can back the screws out. If not drill through the screw from the front side with a smaller bit and hopefully the drilling motion will turn the screw out the back end.Once that's done, be sure to mark the plates for l/r & up/down & back/front for the future. Now you can pull the flaps out of the shaft & pull the shaft out the body.When you put it back together, tighten the new screws and split the end open just like the old ones so the can't back out.
Phillip

Old 01-13-2000, 07:28 PM
jcheyn
Junior User
Carburetor Problems

>First off, what prompted you to want
>to remove the shaft

I'm an idiot... Actually I just didn't know the thing wasn't supposed to come out. I plan on just getting the broken screws out, replacing them, and then leaving it alone. Thanks for the help.