Sponsored by:

6.0 Turbo Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Country Traveler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 Turbo Diesel

I have a 2000 Excursion with V10 engine and it treats me well. I am in the market for another one and looking toward a 2005 Excursion. I was contemplating one with a 6.0 Turbo Diesel. I am becoming aware that this engine is plagued with problems. Should I steer away from the diesel and look for another V10? I am concerned with reliability. I do tow an 8900 lb travel trailer. I assume the mileage would be better, but do the diesels break down a lot? What are your experiences with them. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I too am in a similar boat. I have been looking at a beautiful 04 Limited 6.0. If I ever do it, I will buy an extended warranty for the motor. A guy i work with has an 05 EB 6.0 he bought new. He was having EGR issues early on and finally asked the dealer what he could do to fix it. The service manager told him to go to some website for the answer but he could not tell him to do it. So he went home and researched it. The site was to simply unplug the EGR. That was 60,000 miles ago and zero problems since other than a FICM. He also gets 20mpg on the highway (trip). I get 12.5 on a trip and 9-10 otherwise.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:57 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
When I was buying my Excursion back in 06, I had 6.0s everywhere I looked. Couldn't find a 7.3 to save my life in a 2 hr radius. I finally broke down and went from Madison, WI to Elk River, MN to get a unit. Salesman told me that the 6.0s were good. Problem was that 7.3 drivers were hanging on to theirs for dear life and would drive them into the ground and then some. 6.0 drivers were off lease and wanted something new. Hmmmmmm... Yeah, right.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:35 PM
msuforeman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have first hand experience with the "Oh No Six O," this is the reason I looked for a 05 V-10. It has been a awesome vehicle the 20k miles that I have owned it. Yes, the mileage is not that good but I do not worry about it stranding my wife and 3 kids on the side of the road. A piece of mind means alot to me.

Brian

Old 01-08-2010, 02:02 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
I avoided the 6.0 due to the problems with the EGR and cooler along with the head gasket issues. I'm sure the diesel guys will chime in soon and give you their perspective - including their recent repairs. I went with the V10 as it has plenty of power for towing my boat and I didn't feel like dealing with the known problems of the 6.0.

Now - to be fair the V10 has some issues. Exhaust manifold studs can rust and break off and can be a bear to remove and repair. You can also run into spark plug issues where the plugs are over tightened and can strip out the aluminum heads. Later V10's should have the problems resolved (03 and above I believe) but it's still something to be aware of.

For the 6.0 I had a list of modifications to make it as reliable as possible and the additional expense wasn't worth it. EGR delete, custom tune, ARP head studs, coolant filter and the list goes on. You're on the right track - do your searches, seak out the opinions and then make the best decision you can. As a side note - your travel trailer weighs in at 8900lbs and my boat is over 10000 - and I've got the 3.73 gears. Tows like a champ.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Country Traveler
Senior User
I also found some more reading on this on this site. Got some work cut out for me. It's hard to decide. Please keep comments coming.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:54 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
please look at the v10 vs psd thread, the which oil to use thread, the this truck is a pos thread

I too have first hand experience with the 6oh AND the 7.3....

on my 2nd 6oh with 110k miles....
I liked both of them so much because

I got tired of being stranded by my 02 7.3

Old 01-09-2010, 01:15 PM
roadhammer dave
Junior User
If you would like some straight-up information about the 6.0, check out powerstrokediesel.com. Lots of great information from someone who works on these engines everyday. It can be a very reliable engine if set up properly. It seems that the biggest issue with the '05 engine(I think that's the one you were looking at) is excessive heat. This is easily taken care of by opening up the exhaust.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:43 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my 6.0. 190k and going strong. Every once in a while I'll get a code that says "EGR Flow Malfunction", P0400. I pop out the EGR, hit it with carb cleaner and a tooth brush, put it back in, and hte code goes away. I idle a lot so that doesn't help.

Other than that the only thing that has gone is the alternator. Regular maintenance with top shelf fluids helps. I was using Mobil 1 5w-40 full synthetic, but this next change I'm going with Delvac 1 5w-40, 100k oil. Motorcraft filters all around, and nothing but. Prime the glow plugs absolutely every time I start it, diesel kleen in the white bottle during the summer, silver bottle during the winter. Take care of a 6.0 and it'll last you. This thing has to last me, until I can afford the f650 XUV. I can't imagine driving anything smaller, or that runs on gas.

The 6.0's may be a little more picky when it comes to upkeep, but look at what you get for extending that effort. I am not scared to punch it off the line and smoke some little sports car off the line.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:51 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
You will love the 6.0 no matter what all the V 10 Folks say its a good Engine Just do your home work before you buy it with the Oais and such.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:03 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
You will love the 6.0 no matter what all the V 10 Folks say its a good Engine Just do your home work before you buy it with the Oais and such.
Nickie,

He already OWNS a V10...

BTW...to the OP...I'd request an OASIS report (and not an oais as Nickie typed) on ANY Ford vehicle you are looking at. It tells you how it lived its life under the factory warranty system and probably any Ford performed repairs at that...

As far as the 6.OH being unreliable...I don't own one and can only go by what I have read...I can tell you that I have read a bunch of posts from unhappy owners...seems more so than any other motor...

I also know that there are many others that are very happy with their 6.OH's that never post...

So it is up to the individual...For me and my family...given what I knew about the 6.OH and the fact that I rely on my truck to get me and my family to some pretty remote areas...I opted for the vernerable V10 and thus far I have not regretted that decision...not saying that she can't break down...but from the standpoint of probabilities...the 6.OH had/has a higher probability based on what I have read.

I tow a 9000# 35' hitch to bumper TT all over the country...I've been thru the Rockies twice with my V10 and as far east as Bar Harbor Maine...logged over 22,000 TOWING miles since summer of 2006 when we visited Yellowstone area and crossed the Big Horns/Rockies in the summer heat of mid-July...

I talk to a lot of fellow campers in campgrounds...those that you sit with and talk to in a campground as opposed to here on the net...will tell you that they get 9-11mpgs towing with a 6.OH...so don't buy the 6.OH thinking you will get huge mpg gains...the lower power 7.3L is the KING of mpgs...but then again...its HP is only in the low 200's so that is why they make good mpg numbers. Those that are getting higher mpgs are running programmers on the 6.OH...problems may be associated with higher boost levels and engine pressures with the 6.OH and a tuner/programmer...when towing my family in the middle of a 110 mile stretch on I-70 in Utah two summers ago and the outside temperatures were well over 100° between ANY service stations...I wanted to know I was going to make it to the next exit!

If you do move forward with the purchase of a PSD Ex...just make sure the motor has a good history.

In all of my travels...I have yet to find the limits of the V10/4.30 combo towing my 17,000# combined load...so from a power standpoint...I'm not looking for more power and you already have the best SUV comfort wise on the market...just make sure you do your homework before you buy is my only advice.

Good luck,
Joe.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:03 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
I have a 2004 Ex 6.0 and it is a great truck and engine. Yes I have had many

problems with my 6.0-EGR, EBP, turbo, 1 injector, transmission, cps. It's

first 40K of miles were a pain in the butt! Since then I have had zero

problems, I am sitting at 73K miles. The 6.0 really is a very strong running

motor! I was in your shoes about 3 years ago and decided on the 6.0 for fuel

mileage and ease of towing anything! I have been averaging 16-20 mpg's for

the last 3 years or so which blows away any HD gasser I have owned. The 2

main issues are the emissions system and the TTY head bolts. We are

starting to see more and more high mileage 6.0's now so I wouldn't hesitate

as long as the OASIS report comes back clean!!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:27 PM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of the 6.0 problems were do to the Low sulfer fuel,,,with the EGR and turbos coking up,,,now with the Ultra Low Sulfer Fuel suposedly the EGR and turbo coking issue have gotten much better. I heard this from the guy at Powerstroke.com,,in his videos(think it was him),,So now we just have to worry or Not the Head bolts stretch,,and or the Head gaskets leak,,EGR cooler springs a leak,,,lol,,anyway I have an 06' F-350 6.0,,just turned 48k recently,,,the 6.0 has been flawless,,,Runs like a bear,,,I dont Baby it,, Never Have,,,Never will,,,and Im thinking she LIKE'S IT that way!!
To Many people drive them to easy,,trying to get good mileage,, short trips to the store,,not warming the 6.0 up completly,,,Low boost pressure,,does not exercise those variable vane's in the turbo,,and it can rust up,,Gotta bring that Boost up,,25-29 psi atleast once every time you get her warmed up,,well thats my theory any way,,,worked for me so far!!

I do run the Diesel Kleen when I can afford it,,,that stuff is like $18 bucks a Jug now,,,and it's not even a gallon !!!! YOWZA !,,,use to be $11 or so.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:35 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
I can tell you that I have read a bunch of posts from unhappy owners...seems more so than any other motor
I can tell you that I meet many techs who feel that the 6.0 is better for them since they make more money off them.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by m350
Some of the 6.0 problems were do to the Low sulfer fuel,,,with the EGR and turbos coking up,,,now with the Ultra Low Sulfer Fuel suposedly the EGR and turbo coking issue have gotten much better. I heard this from the guy at Powerstroke.com,,in his videos(think it was him),

I do run the Diesel Kleen when I can afford it,,,that stuff is like $18 bucks a Jug now,,,and it's not even a gallon !!!! YOWZA !,,,use to be $11 or so.
I don't think that is a site. What guy are you talking about? How does the ULSD or LSD affect the EGR and the turbo?

IF the ULSD is so good, what do you buy $18 jugs of snake oil for?

Quick Reply: 6.0 Turbo Diesel