Factory 1986 Bronco with a 360?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 PM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Factory 1986 Bronco with a 360?

Details on this supposed Factory Ford Bronco,

Model Year: 1986 (it looks totally like a '86)
Engine: 360 V8
Transmission: Automatic (couldn't get a good look under it)
9" Ford rear end
Part time transfer case (with floor shifter for T-case, and front manual locking hubs) not sure what model of transfer case
Build date: Febuary 1986 (from what i read off the Vin sticker, and the Vin code doesn't even work on any Vin decoders)

yep, your all going to say the same thing i said to the used car sales man at a local used car lot,

"impossible for a '86 Bronco to have a factory 360 V8, 1976 was the last year Ford used the 360 and 390 in a vehicle, which was there F-series trucks"

(Mind you this is all coming from a sales man who is a older man, he has to be in his late 50s or early 60s, thus he ain't no 20 year old like me! thus he should know his stuff more than a 20 nothing)

but the used car sales man says different, and even the local auto parts stores told him that 1986 Ford Bronco's don't have 360 V8s, and they had no idea what he was talking about, and he then called up a local Ford dealer, and a guy there knew what he was talking about, and the dealer told him it was a speical order Bronco, with a 360 "Truck only engine"

the story is this Bronco is a special order, thus it has a truck only engine, i was thinking like a commercial only engine and i told the sales man at the used car lot that, i said i had heard of speical Ford U-haul engines. And i have heard about '70s and i guess '80s Ford F-series U-haul trucks with speical commercial engines, as i have heard of some dentside (73-79) F-series owners asking about these strange engines, as they own a retired U-haul truck and they can't figure out what engines they have, as no normal F-series had these engines,

thus my father is interested in this '86 Bronco, and he might be able to get it off the used car lot for a good price, and the truck actually wasn't for sale, as its one of there plow trucks, thus they kind don't want to part with it, but are thinking it over as they have more than one plow truck,

also the other strange thing is the next oil change sticker on the front windshield (that doesn't look very old) reads next oil change at 40,000 Kms! or about 25,000 Miles! and the truck was owned by a older man, and it was traded in at a local Dodge dealer ( i know, i know, what the heck was he thinking!) thus this small used car dealer got it from the Dodge dealer for a song to plow the snow on the lot, and i know the oil mileage sticker doesn't mean it has low mileage, but combined with everything else, and the great condition the truck is in, the truck could have low miles! and it runs great, and the drivers door shuts like new, and overall seems to be in great shape, even the interior looks stock and there isn't much wear, not even on the front or rear seats,

also this 360 has a 4 barrel, and appears to have a Duraspark II igntion, and a 9" Ford as the rear end, (not sure about a '86 having a Ford 9" ??? i am more into pre 1979 Fords) also i looked the engine over, and it doesn't look like a Windsor 302 or 351, it could be a 351m i guess or a 400? but i am just going by what i am being told, and i do know Ford did have commerical truck engines that weren't available in normal F-series trucks, thus maybe one of those speical commerical engines has the same engine size as the older 360, thus i know Ford stopped putting FE 360-390 engines in vehicles in 1976, and i won't debate that fact, thus could a speical commerical Ford engine have 360 as the engine size?

and it has a part time transfer case, i would assume its not a NP-205, also i didn't get a very good look underneath, as it was very wet with ice and slushy snow

its also a automatic, and i wrote the vin number down, but no decoders are coming up with anything, i even tried the vin decoder on FordFleet.com

Thus can anyone tell me about a '86 360 Bronco? and anything about special order Fords? maybe this truck has one of those U-Haul type engines? also i understand owners often change things, and basically any older vehicle could have any engine in it, but the sales man at the used car lot says he confirmed its a speical order and it came with a 360, i thought maybe a 351w but no, he says 360???

also i will update this thread if my father buys this '86 Bronco

but so far it seems really good rust wise, and it was oil guarded and the interior is nice, and it does have a blown heater core (as steam comes out the heater vents) and it comes with a working plow,

-Brent

Old 01-06-2010, 10:58 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
No. FE motors stopped in '76.

If it started as a 351W and was overbored .050, it would be 360.64 cubes, but that's not what he's saying if I understand your post.

Does the intake manifold go under the valve covers?

How many bolts in the valve covers?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:09 PM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
i know all about '76, and i told him that,

i forgot to look at that 360-390 intake trait, i can't believe i forgot about that!

i have a '71 302w in my truck, and i have been around more Windsor V8s than anything, thus i often forget all the traits of other engines,

also i am thinking it could be a speical order Bronco with a "commerical" only engine, thus it may share the 360 engine size only, as there are owners of old retired U-haul trucks, and they got these odd engines that where common in U-haul Ford trucks,

thus i am thinking its not a FE 360, but some kind of commerical Ford engine?

i think maybe Number dummy could clear this all up, but i am afraid nothing can be had from the vin, and i am thinking i might have wrote the vin down wrong, as the sticker had some small blemishes and dirt on it,

and before anyone shoots me, i totally understand the fact there is no FE 360-390s after 1976, i am just telling you what i was told, and thus i am thinking its BS, but then again, this truck wasn't for sale, and they don't really want to sell it, thus why make something up if your not looking to sell it??? as i know commonly people make things up at selling time to make more money or gain more interest, oh ya it has a 351c (meanwhile its a 351m or 400)

-Brent

Old 01-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Shelby1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It could be a commercial 360,Ford has been know to put non mainstream stuff in their vehicles. Case in point, Before I retired I worked for a large turf/farming operation ,when they decided to go back to full row crop operation,they had to buy trucks to haul corn/grains/cotton and other bulk crops . They bought 3 trucks,a 68 F-600 that had a 73 390, and 2 mid 80's F-600's one 84 and one 85 if I remember correctly both had 360's according to stickers on the left front valve covers. When I went to get parts for these trucks ,got part for the 390 no problem ,for the 360's a totally different story,none of the parts house's listed a 360 in that year of truck,neither did the dealer , all the dealer had was a listing for commercial motor, the type that are used on pumping and power generation (later they bought a power generator that had a 360 in it) I had to have the dealer order the parts that I needed tru the commercial parts end of their system.
These motors did not have part of the intake manifold under the valve cover like the FE blocks,don't know what they were based on but they were tagged as 360's.
In a F-600 these motors were on the weak side, but in a Bronco it should be about right.
Good Luck!
Kenny

Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM
American Thunder
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FE motors are awesome. And 360s have steel crankshafts. But in an '86 truck? Maybe if the guy worked on the Ford assembly line and special built it or something. Otherwise, no way.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 AM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
yep American Thunder, i know the FE 360-390's where last used in 1976 in Ford trucks

and thanks Kenny! at least someone has heard about these commercial engines, i know U-haul Ford trucks from the 70s had special commercial engines, thus i am thinking maybe Ford used the 360 size, and i understand it has nothing to do with the FE engines,

anyone else have any info on these engines?

and anyone here about special order Bronco's???

and if so what strange options did they have? also i wonder how rare this combo is? and how many of these commercial engines made it into 80s Bronco's?

also if it was a commercial used vehicle, say by a large company, i hear often they will only use them to a certain amount of mileage, then they will sell them off before they get to high of mileage, thus not taking such a huge loss on the work truck, thus maybe back in the late 80s big companies got rid of these vehicles a lot sooner than they would today, also i understand most smaller companies will keep a truck in till it no longer runs, but a big corporation company will often sell these vehicles off with lower miles, thus recouping there cost,

anyways, i will keep this updated, and hopefully they sell this truck, and if anyone has any info on these non-FE 360 Ford V8 engines and Special order Bronco's, please share it on here

-Brent

Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
track down the guy on this website called NumberDummy, give him the vin and such i am sure he can locate more solid information. he used to work for ford if i recall.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
yep i know NumberDummy would solve all this fast,

here is the VIN (Might even be wrong, i tried my best, there was some dirt on the door post, thus the sticker was kinda hard to read, and the Vin number on the dash was difficult to read (some dirt and grime on the windshield area where the Vin was)

1FMFD15H4GLA58471

-Brent

Old 01-07-2010, 02:31 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Since Ford was bound by Federal Motor Vehicle standards, including emissions standards, in 1986, how could they install a 10 year old motor in a new vehicle and sell it?

This is all a guessing game until you id it via the above suggestions or some other way.

As for the "commercial" engines, those were designated "FT" and were given different CID numbers despite being identical to the FE in bore and stroke. 331, 361, 391 and some others. Steel cranks with bigger snouts, huge flywheels, iron front covers with engine mounts, engine mounting bell housings, small capacity heads, low compression pistons, beefy rods, governed carbs and ignitions. The U-haul variant was a 330, and mixed some FT with some FE, can't recall, but Ford never put one in a Bronco.

Look at the manifold, count the bolts, measure across the intake manifold, report your findings. Take a picture and post it. Do a tear down and measure all components and post them.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 PM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Since Ford was bound by Federal Motor Vehicle standards, including emissions standards, in 1986, how could they install a 10 year old motor in a new vehicle and sell it?

This is all a guessing game until you id it via the above suggestions or some other way.

As for the "commercial" engines, those were designated "FT" and were given different CID numbers despite being identical to the FE in bore and stroke. 331, 361, 391 and some others. Steel cranks with bigger snouts, huge flywheels, iron front covers with engine mounts, engine mounting bell housings, small capacity heads, low compression pistons, beefy rods, governed carbs and ignitions. The U-haul variant was a 330, and mixed some FT with some FE, can't recall, but Ford never put one in a Bronco.

Look at the manifold, count the bolts, measure across the intake manifold, report your findings. Take a picture and post it. Do a tear down and measure all components and post them.

thanks for the info on the commercial engines, but the Bronco isn't in our possession, thus we can go ripping its engine down, and even if it was, we wouldn't rip the engine down, also if they want to sell the truck and they let us have a second look at the Bronco before my father buys it, i will be sure to remember to check the intake, and see if its like a FE 360-390 style intake and i will count the valve cover bolts and bring my camera along for sure,

also i am thinking maybe this older guy working at the used car lot slipped up by one number, and thinks its a Commercial "truck only" 360, but its really a Commercial 361 engine or possibly its just a standard 302w or 351w or 351m/400 and he is really slipping then, or lying for some reason, considering its not really for sale thus why lie about it, i think there might be some confusion involved, but i will do more investigating

but thanks for the info on the Commercial engines, and i know, i know, i know, i know, i know, i know!

Ford never used the FE 360 or 390 after 1976!! i know, i know, i know already!!!! people please stop repeating this! doesn't anyone read the previous posts? i know, i know, i know!

did i mention, i already knew the fact that Ford never used the FE 360-390 engines after 1976, also i forgot to mention that Ford never used the FE 360-390 engines after 1976, just thought i might also add, i know Ford never used the FE 360-390 engines after 1976

there, i think everyone can get the picture! i know already! and i have already posted i know about this fact a few times, including the very first post in this thread!!!! i wasn't born yesterday, i may have been born in 1989, but i ain't know dummy and i know a lot about Ford Trucks, and i am always welcome to learning more, but when i state the fact i already know something, and i clearly say that in a few posts, it gets annoying to have people keep mentioning that fact over and over and over,

and i know all about emission standards, and there is no way they could install a 10 year old engine! and i clearly said they think its a commercial only 360, and it isn't a FE engine, but i am thinking its a 361 commercial engine, and the older salesman is slipping a bit in the memory,

also it could have a (NON-FE!) Ford 361, as i know Ford built a lot of unique speical order vehicles for companies back then, thus its possible, but i can't say for now, i will do some more investigating if and when we have a second look at this truck, its all about if they want to sell it or not, as they need it as a plow truck, thus they only have three plow trucks, and two other people are looking at the other two, thus they need to keep at least one, then when the spring comes, they said they would be more willing to sell it

thanks to all for the info, but i do get angry when people keep repeating information, considering i clearly stated i already knew FE 360-390 engines where last used in 1976,

and any more info on speical order Broncos and these Ford Commercial engines would be great, especially the 361 sized one

-Brent

Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 PM
vtjvt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nevermind, I deleted my rant on people who know everything

Old 01-07-2010, 10:46 PM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by vtjvt
nevermind, I deleted my rant on people who know everything

never said i knew everything, as i am more than welcome to learn anything new, and i have learned plenty off this website, and i always enjoy learning more and more, i just hate when people keep repeating info over and over again, and if they actually read every post in a thread, then they would have understood this, and i would have no problem, and i don't want to debate anyone about a '86 having a FE 360, as i understand and know 1976 was the last year for the FE engines!

but if you actually read my first post, i actually state i know about the FE 360-390 engines being last used in 1976, thus why are people bringing this up, over and over again?

as explained in my original post, i told the used car salesman a '86 Bronco can't have a 360, as Ford last used the 360 in 1976, thus i really don't understand why people have to keep telling me about how a FE 360 can't be in a '86, also did the title to this thread state FE 360? no it did not! the used car salesman said it had a 360, and i already explained why it can't to him, and he said different, that's why i am here! to ask questions!

and now i find out there is a 361 commercial engine, thus maybe this older car salesman has the number wrong, and thought it was a 360, instead of a 361,

or it could just be a standard '86 Bronco engine,

but please, can we all get over this no FE 360 in a '86 Bronco, and if you have any info on this generation of Special order Broncos or the FT 361 commercial engine, then post away!

-Brent

Old 01-07-2010, 11:39 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
An FT and an FE will look pretty much the same.

If you know there were no FE's after '76, why do you think this is some factory special?

Why do you think a used car salesman would be on to anything. Half can't tell the difference between a 4, 6 or 8. I've had them tell me I didn't to mix oil in the gas on a two-stroke bike with a "20:1 Premix Required" sticker on the fuel tank.

Why do you think there is a "special order Bronco" with an outdated, out of production engine?

Post the VIN, that will help.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:06 AM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
HOLY COW BAT MAN! DOES ANYONE READ ANY PREVIOUS POSTS? AND WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND FOR MEMBERS IN THIS SECTION OF THE SITE? READ EVERY COMMENT, THEN YOU WILL GET THE FULL PICTURE!

i know there isn't a FE 360 after 1976!!!, i told the dang car sales man this, he insisted that it does have a 360, and he even confirmed it with a Ford dealer, I said no way, no 360s in Fords after 1976, ( I have stated this countless times already)

i know, i know, a used car salesman word is as good as nothing, and i think its fishy also, hint hint, read my previous posts and you will see i don't believe its a 360 at all, and i barely think it could even be a "SPECIAL ORDER BRONCO" with a "commercial-industrial" 361 V8 yep a three sixty one! not 360!

and i repeat, i do not, i repeat, i do not think this is a Factory special FE 360 in this 1986 BRONCO!!!!!! how does my previous posts%2

Old 01-08-2010, 02:36 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
OK, one more time for people who just don't get it: What is it you are asking?

Quick Reply: Factory 1986 Bronco with a 360?