6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Remote By-Pass Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 AM
ssharber
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote By-Pass Filter?

Have any of you installed a Remote By-Pass Oil Filtration System, such as Amsoil's? I am interested in installing one mainly for keeping the oil as clean as possible between 5000 mi changes. I have read where people have installed these and they noticed a dramatic difference in how clean the oil remained, in addition to filtering the oil particles down to 4 microns or less. I did a search of the forums and didn't find much, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. Since this is where I do most of my posting/reading, I decided to place it here. I trust the people here and feel any advice I get will be good advice.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Greyman
Senior User
I installed a remote filter on my tranny from Dieselsite, but haven't done my motor. If I was going to go farther than 5,000 I might, but with the regen's you get too much fuel in the oil to go farther safetly, imo.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
i think the cost vs benefits dicate that you don't spend your money on this mod for this motor..just my 2 cents

Old 01-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Tim Vipond
New User
Originally Posted by ssharber
Have any of you installed a Remote By-Pass Oil Filtration System, such as Amsoil's? I am interested in installing one mainly for keeping the oil as clean as possible between 5000 mi changes. I have read where people have installed these and they noticed a dramatic difference in how clean the oil remained, in addition to filtering the oil particles down to 4 microns or less. I did a search of the forums and didn't find much, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. Since this is where I do most of my posting/reading, I decided to place it here. I trust the people here and feel any advice I get will be good advice.
I have a few customers that have installed the AMSOIL Remote By-Pass systems and like them because they don't have to change their AMSOIL as long as the oil analysis tells them it is good for continued use. Here is what AMSOIL states for filtration: "Higher Efficiency
AMSOIL EaBP Filters have an efficiency of 98.7 percent at two microns." And "• Remove Particles Less Than One Micron."

However in your case, the 2007-2010 Ford diesel 6.4 L is prone to excessive fuel getting into the oil, so following Ford's recommended oil change intervals may be the best for you. You can always have your oil analyzed to see if you have this problem, if not, then you could go with a bypass filtration system. Sometimes you can smell diesel in your oil or notice that the oil level on your dipstick is rising due to fuel dilution. Here is a Tech Sevice Bulletin describing the fuel dilution problem: https://www.amsoil.com/dealer/techse...on_Pickups.pdf

If you decide to install the AMSOIL by-pass filtration system, here is a parts list, instructions and photos. https://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters...4L_Galinak.pdf .

Old 01-10-2010, 05:08 PM
hornet825
New User
Hey ssharber I just got finished installing an Amsoil kit on my 08 F250. Bought it for my previous truck an 03 6.0. I am also interested in the added protection of the extra filter and not trying to extend the oil change interval. The kit went together very easily, just needed about 10 extra feet of hose. I couldn't find anywhere in the engine compartment to mount it so I mounted it on the passenger side frame rail.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:22 PM
ssharber
Tuned
thank you so much hornet, finally I got an answer I was looking for. I come here to help others and get shot down mostly and I come here looking for advice or suggestions and everyone feels im wanting to install something so i can extend my oil changes or they dont read the post and dont understand why im asking the question. I, too, am only interested in keeping the oil as clean as it can be, and ive seen the difference in how clean the oil is after going thru one of these units. I think the oil filters let too much deposits go by and thats why I wanted one of these so I could trap those smaller ones that end up under your journal bearings and in other places and eventually lead to engine wear. what with how much we pay for these engines i dont think its too much money to put in a filtering system that will take out more particles than the full flow one does, especially with almost 4 gallons of oil. Thanks for your input, I appreciate your comments very much.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:37 AM
hornet825
New User
No problem ssharber I couldn't have said it better myself. I plan on keeping my truck for along time and I see everyday how much better a bypass system ontop of a fullflow system is, compared to just a fullflow is. Alot more internal wear thats forsure. Talk to you later.