Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting a Debate again, Bilstein or Rancho?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Starting a Debate again, Bilstein or Rancho?

Need to upgrade the shocks for better handling on the road. Searched the forum and still have the question, what is better, Pneumatic or Hydraulic?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen many complaints about the Bilsteins but I have never seen a complaint about the Rancho 9000XL adjustibles. Bilstein people think they are the greatest, I have the 9000XL's and I love the flexibility in the ride! I think they are great shocks!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Husky44
Senior User
I like my Ranchos, but I've got no experience to compare the Bilsteins to them. Decision factors for me:
1) Never read anyone complaining about the Ranchos, did read several comments that the Bilsteins were too stiff
2) Rancho has adjustability, so I can dial them in the way I want
3) Found a way to get Ranchos for approx the same price as Bilsteins, so I bought them!

I don't think the Bilstein is a bad choice though, at least from a reputational perspective.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:22 PM
WhiteZombie
Senior User
rancho anything is garbage. bilsteins are great. only the stainless ones. bds is good as well because they are made by bilstein

Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Saw both on E-bay for $275. Will Check Napa, Autozone, etc here in town tomorrow. Where's the best deal?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:56 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
shockwarehouse.com has 4 Bilsteins shipped to your door for about $250 or so if you enter the code 'five' at checkout.

Rancho 9000XL's for $275 shipped to your door is a good price from when I was checking and bought my Bilsteins back in 2007...at that time they were going for about $380 for a set of 4 (right at $95/shock)...that is what factored most into my decision.

I MOSTLY tow with my Ex and the Bilsteins are an excellent choice for my application...I'm sure the Rancho's would have done a fine job too...at the time I bought...I simply couldn't imagine over $100 more better though so I went Bilsteins and have no regrets...

If the prices are near the same today...the choice I feel is a flip of the coin in performance...UNLESS you want/need the adjustability option that only the Rancho 9000XL give you of these two choices.

Good luck...I can't imagine needing more data on this topic! JK...LOL

Joe.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:16 AM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Scoob5555
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Love my Ranchos. If you want the truck to do double or triple duty (daily, work stuff, towing) I'd go for the adjustability of the Ranchos. In fact I did for those reasons. It helps that the roads here suck and I knew I wanted something that could go soft for daily stuff. No complaints and no regrets.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Also wonder about longevity, if seals on the Hydraulic go bad and lose oil vs just going with the Bilsteins. The Ranchos on Ebay just had a minimum bid of $275, no guarantee there...

Old 01-05-2010, 02:27 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Shocks become a debate similar to what oil you should use.... I've had Ranchos installed on my Bronco now for several years and love them. Good control and it's a bit firm but it is a 1974 so short wheelbase with a lift. They do great on small trails and out in the sand. I know people who have both shocks and both tell you their setup is the best.

Key thing for me is the adjustability. My Ex is my daily driver which also tows the boat. I don't want a stiff ride all of the time just to get good towing performance. The Ranchos with the adjustable will get you good performance towing, offroad and on the street. No one is going to debate the quality of the Bilsteins - they are great shocks with a good reputation - but they are not the only game in town. My only complaint is with myself for not doing the Ranchos last year when they were giving away the wireless Myride controller for free with the purchase of 4 shocks!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:31 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
I'd still like to hear about how the Edelbrock IAS shocks perform on the Excursions. There's not to many opinions on these shocks.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:56 PM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
I'd still like to hear about how the Edelbrock IAS shocks perform on the Excursions. There's not to many opinions on these shocks.
Bilstein and Rancho manufacture shocks, not carbs, manifolds and air cleaners. JMO

Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 03-6L-X
Bilstein and Rancho manufacture shocks, not carbs, manifolds and air cleaners. JMO
That's definitely a good point but I'd still like to hear from somebody that has actually tried them.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't comment on what I've not had, but here goes:

Stock shocks - Booooooooooo !
Rancho RSX's - better than stock but still not there...
Rancho 9000xl's - the BEST !
the adjustability was the selling point for me...
@ 4 they were too firm for daily driving and too soft for towing....
@ 1 they were perfect for unloaded and could bounce the air press to max on the tires !
@ 9 they towed FIRM !

I didn't change them that much once I found what worked best for ME and MY situation.

good luck with your decision....

worst words in the English language:
"I wish I had...."

Old 01-06-2010, 01:18 AM
ke6zmy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2 cents.

I bought heavy duty Bilsteins in November. They are coming off this week. Bilsteins seem to get their rep from the foreign car market. I also heard good talk about them on a similar forum to this one. Then, as it turned out, one of the members sells them.

I did buy them. They were ok at first. But they have continually become more and more disappointing as the days go by and I use them more and more.

I recommend against them.

I saw a note above where the 9000XLs are to be had for $275 delivered. I would like direction on that. The best I can find them is for $320 at;

Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, LOWEST PRICES on Rancho RS9000XL Shocks

So, $275 would be a steal.

Quick Reply: Starting a Debate again, Bilstein or Rancho?