Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting a Debate again, Bilstein or Rancho?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:39 AM
EX40
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ke6zmy
My 2 cents.

I bought heavy duty Bilsteins in November. They are coming off this week. Bilsteins seem to get their rep from the foreign car market. I also heard good talk about them on a similar forum to this one. Then, as it turned out, one of the members sells them.

I did buy them. They were ok at first. But they have continually become more and more disappointing as the days go by and I use them more and more.

I recommend against them.

I saw a note above where the 9000XLs are to be had for $275 delivered. I would like direction on that. The best I can find them is for $320 at;

Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, LOWEST PRICES on Rancho RS9000XL Shocks

So, $275 would be a steal.
Agree with you on the Bilsteins. They were ok at first. Probably because stockers were on their way out. But now the just feel too darn stiff. I know this is a huge truck but I'll be switching to Ranchos in the spring. My vehicle is a family hauler & have towed a 7x14 trailer abt 2 times in the three years I've owned it. So no need for best towing shock for me.

Post up if you find a good deal on the Rancho.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:47 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
My 2 cents.

I bought heavy duty Bilsteins in November. They are coming off this week. Bilsteins seem to get their rep from the foreign car market. I also heard good talk about them on a similar forum to this one. Then, as it turned out, one of the members sells them.

I did buy them. They were ok at first. But they have continually become more and more disappointing as the days go by and I use them more and more.

I recommend against them.

I saw a note above where the 9000XLs are to be had for $275 delivered. I would like direction on that. The best I can find them is for $320 at;

Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, LOWEST PRICES on Rancho RS9000XL Shocks

So, $275 would be a steal.
I'm curious as to what you don't like about the Bilsteins. Ride quality, stiffness, etc?

For the $275 - it's an ebay auction - $275+$45 shipping. The link to 4wheelonline looks good - they even have a package deal to get the Myride controller. That's more of a toy than anything - but it would be nice to control the ride while in the truck to get a good feel for all of the settings.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 AM
ke6zmy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I'm curious as to what you don't like about the Bilsteins. Ride quality, stiffness, etc? "

TDAPPLEMAN

I don't like my neck being snapped and my back being compressed when you go over a bump where you need a good shock.

I don't like the lack of control on the freeway at 70mph as you go through a turn.

I have the Airlift bags. I have the Hellwig anti-sway bar. The ride was still good at 80,000 mile. But by 85,000 miles I knew I needed new shocks. I went with the Bilsteins because I want the best when it comes to safety and performance. Bilsteins are not it.

I have had others tell me to rebuild my suspension. Well, a shock manufacturer will know what needs our vehicles have and they will build a shock to meet those needs.

IMHO

Old 01-06-2010, 10:22 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Ke6zmy - good to have another viewpoint available. The stiffness/harshness is exactly what I am going to avoid.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:45 AM
03-6L-X
Elder User
One still needs to look at all the componets involved with the suspension.

You can have factory sway bars and need new shocks.

Replace the shocks and not upgrade the suspension bushings from stock to poly the ride is going to feel a little stiffer going in a straight line, but the cornering is not going to be there.

Tires and their pressure will also effect the ride too (IMHO need to be "E" rated and 60-65 PSI).

There is alot of cause and effect involved here. JMO

Old 01-06-2010, 01:38 PM
ke6zmy
Senior User
I suppose.

Except that the ride was fine at 80,000 miles - we needed new shocks at 85,000 miles.

If the ride was fine at 80,000 miles, there no broken parts, it came to a point that new shocks were needed at 85,000 miles, then, w/ new shocks, the ride should be fine again.

That is how it has been with all of my other vehicles since 1971. I can not see how so much has hanged to make that process different with todays vehicles. Not for guys (& gals) like myself. Perhaps a lambo, or a ferrari, or a high end porsche, or some other leading edge - high tech- vehicle. But for me, a guy who buys the average ford, the process is not different.

1. You have a certain ride.
2. You need new shocks.
3. You put on new shocks.
4. You get the ride back.

Not from my experience with the Bilsteins.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:57 PM
03-6L-X
Elder User
I suppose.

Except that the ride was fine at 80,000 miles - we needed new shocks at 85,000 miles.

If the ride was fine at 80,000 miles, there no broken parts, it came to a point that new shocks were needed at 85,000 miles, then, w/ new shocks, the ride should be fine again.

That is how it has been with all of my other vehicles since 1971. I can not see how so much has hanged to make that process different with todays vehicles. Not for guys (& gals) like myself. Perhaps a lambo, or a ferrari, or a high end porsche, or some other leading edge - high tech- vehicle. But for me, a guy who buys the average ford, the process is not different.

1. You have a certain ride.
2. You need new shocks.
3. You put on new shocks.
4. You get the ride back.

Not from my experience with the Bilsteins.
Not to doubt you. Are you a gasser or a smoker? Have you lifted? How have they gone from good to bad?

Now for one of those "Years ago stories", Volvo 242, IPD Sway Bars, Bilstein Shocks, drove it like a bat out of .... After about 80k thought the shocks were not doing what they should be took it to the shop, the rubber bushing in the suspension and sway bars were a little loose from wear, replaced with poly, it was like having a new ride.

I plan on changing out all of the rubber with poly this spring. Regardless of shock you use, change the rest.

Bilsteins are a very stiff shock, JMO. Don't sell them either.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:26 PM
ke6zmy
Senior User
Smoker, 7.3L

Old 01-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdappleman
Thanks Ke6zmy - good to have another viewpoint available. The stiffness/harshness is exactly what I am going to avoid.
Exactly what I need to avoid, my wife has a bad back...

Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Husky44
Senior User
Originally Posted by tdappleman
For the $275 - it's an ebay auction - $275+$45 shipping. The link to 4wheelonline looks good - they even have a package deal to get the Myride controller. That's more of a toy than anything - but it would be nice to control the ride while in the truck to get a good feel for all of the settings.
FWIW, I placed my Rancho order initially with 4wheelonline. I didn't get the responsiveness I've come to expect from other suppliers, and read some other negative feedback on them, and decided to cancel my order with them. They WERE good about cancelling and refunding me--to their credit--as they have provisions in their purchase terms to charge a cancellation fee. They didn't even bring that up, so I didn't have to fight with them on it.

I called Summit, because I do a lot of business with them and their service is awesome. They price-matched the 4wheelonline price, and gave me about $40 worth of Summit Bucks back. Just a suggestion if you're looking for a good price on the Ranchos...

Old 01-07-2010, 03:22 PM
ke6zmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Husky44
FWIW, I placed my Rancho order initially with 4wheelonline. I didn't get the responsiveness I've come to expect from other suppliers, and read some other negative feedback on them, and decided to cancel my order with them. They WERE good about cancelling and refunding me--to their credit--as they have provisions in their purchase terms to charge a cancellation fee. They didn't even bring that up, so I didn't have to fight with them on it.

I called Summit, because I do a lot of business with them and their service is awesome. They price-matched the 4wheelonline price, and gave me about $40 worth of Summit Bucks back. Just a suggestion if you're looking for a good price on the Ranchos...
Well, I took your advice, called SummitRacing, they price matched and I even got an additonal $1.95 savings. No Summit Bucks, though.

Thanks for heads up!!!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 04:00 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the heads up on Summit matching prices - I've had great dealings with them and Jegs and would much rather avoid problems.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is Summit one of this forums supporters?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:22 PM
hhcobra
Senior User

I don't think Summit is a supporter!!!!
Ke6zmy, Let us know if you want to get rid of the Kilsteins!!!

Fred

Old 01-07-2010, 06:46 PM
ke6zmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by hhcobra
I don't think Summit is a supporter!!!!
Ke6zmy, Let us know if you want to get rid of the Kilsteins!!!

Fred

I got the Bilsteins from shockwarehouse, a supporter of another forum (not to be mentioned ) and I have contacted them via email and phone and I am awaiting for them to contact me. If they do not then I will let you folks know.

I am sorry, I should have contacted a supporter for this order. I just took a look at the vendor list and I suppose Rock Auto might have been a supplier to ask. I will keep it in mind in the future.

Quick Reply: Starting a Debate again, Bilstein or Rancho?