1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

2000 F-150 Problems

Old 01-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F-150 Problems

I have a couple problems with my '00 F-150 extended cab. If you can give me any help to fix these problems, I would much appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

1.) The dome light stays on for extended periods of time. There is also a problem with the door being ajar. The problem occurs when the passanger door is opened and shut. When the door ajar light is on, a hard stop can make the dome light come on and usually goes right back off.

2.) The passanger side power window doesn't have power to go up. You can press the button to make the window go down, but you can't roll it up unless you hotwire the motor. The motor is good. The switch is good. And from either drivers side switch or passanger side switch the window only goes down, not up.

3.) The transmission will not shift with the overdrive on. In order to get it to shift properly you must turn overdrive off.

4.) The door lock switches are not working. Although you can hear the mechanism engaging there is no actual result. I've had the door panel off, and the only thing I can guess is there is not enough power to the locking mechanism.

Well if anyone has any suggestions, i'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:56 AM
greenmachine53
Freshman User
The dome klight issue can be remedied by spraying wd40 or something simaliar in the door latch, the switches get stuck and this should fix it. If it doesn't you will need to replace the swiches.

The door lock problem sounds like the actuators are weak and will have to be replaced.

It also seems that the window motor might a problem or look for a broken wire in the door.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
I will give the WD40 a try. How do you replace it if it doesn't work??

I was hoping there was something easier than replacing the lock mechanism. Thanks.

I cannot find a broken wire in the door. And the motor is good, it can be hot wired to run up and down just fine. It has also been changed.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:09 AM
greenmachine53
Freshman User
Did you check the wires in running to the door. I've seen them break in the jamb itself. You'll have to move the rubber cover to inspect them. If the wd doesn't work the easiest way to replace the switches is to remove the door latch assembly, it would also be a good time replace the door lock actuators

Old 01-04-2010, 02:10 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
I'll pull the rubber and see what I can come up with.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 PM
TheTinian
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Prozon
I have a couple problems with my '00 F-150 extended cab. If you can give me any help to fix these problems, I would much appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

1.) The dome light stays on for extended periods of time. There is also a problem with the door being ajar. The problem occurs when the passanger door is opened and shut. When the door ajar light is on, a hard stop can make the dome light come on and usually goes right back off.
Can't help you here, Never had it happen to me. But it sounds like a loose wire.

2.) The passanger side power window doesn't have power to go up. You can press the button to make the window go down, but you can't roll it up unless you hotwire the motor. The motor is good. The switch is good. And from either drivers side switch or passanger side switch the window only goes down, not up.

Mine did the same thing. Its the drivers switch, which controls the passanger as well. The contactors in the drivers side switch get full of dirt. Especially if youve ever had mud/water come in the door.
Ford wants $150 for a new switch.
Take yours off, take it apart (carefully), spray WD-40 in it. Work the button back and forth and you will see all the gunk come out of it. Keep doing it a couple times. That worked for mine. It started off just not going up, then it woudn't control the window at all.
3.) The transmission will not shift with the overdrive on. In order to get it to shift properly you must turn overdrive off.

It doesn't shift at all???

4.) The door lock switches are not working. Although you can hear the mechanism engaging there is no actual result. I've had the door panel off, and the only thing I can guess is there is not enough power to the locking mechanism.

Door actuators are weak. My Passanger side doesn't work at all.

Well if anyone has any suggestions, i'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Seem's like its pretty common...

Old 01-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
The dome light/door ajar issue was solved by spraying WD-40 on the latches.

Would the drivers side switch effect the passanger side switch? I replaced the passanger door's switch and it did not help.

What I mean by the overdrive thing, is that when it gets to second or third gear, it won't shift past it. It just stays revved real high and will not shift further until you turn overdrive off.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:08 PM
TheTinian
Posting Guru
The dome light/door ajar issue was solved by spraying WD-40 on the latches.

Would the drivers side switch effect the passanger side switch? I replaced the passanger door's switch and it did not help.

What I mean by the overdrive thing, is that when it gets to second or third gear, it won't shift past it. It just stays revved real high and will not shift further until you turn overdrive off.
Yep. The drivers side switch is what powers the pass.
Trust me, I did the same. Changed the pass switch and all....

As for your tranny, might be a shift selenoid problem. Any lights on?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
The engine is dead, so the CEL light is on. But for the mostpart, I think the CEL light is just the misfires and what not that come from half the engine not working.

How can I check a shift solenoid?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:01 PM
TheTinian
Posting Guru
The engine is dead, so the CEL light is on. But for the mostpart, I think the CEL light is just the misfires and what not that come from half the engine not working.

How can I check a shift solenoid?
If the engine is dead... why are you worried about a window switch????

Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
The engine still runs. Maybe dead wasn't a good word choice. In my honest opinion, the engine needs thrown away. The truck is not mine. It is my dads, just trying to help him out. I fixed the door thing.. going to check out the window switch once I get a chance to get over there.

At least he can have the appearance and functions of an operational truck even if the engine is crap.