2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

How do I Identify Towing Package?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:53 PM
5.4 Shelby
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gpfarrell
The website is easy to find... finding a way in is tricky. You'll need a dealer that has access to the website to share their login & password, and it's not a big deal... but they aren't supposed to do that... so it's a little tricky to find a way "in". But I bet you'd really like it!
Yeah, I found the site, but, was not able to get in, of course.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:57 PM
5.4 Shelby
New User
Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby
Update:

The one I have trying to buy seems to have too large a gap between what I think it is worth and what the dealership thinks he needs for it. I told him thanks anyway, I am looking on.

So I called the guy I bought my Mustang from. 2 hrs from where I live. He is going to a Ford factory sale next week. He already has the list. There is a Black 2009 Limited equipped better than the 2008. The 2009 apparently included standard HD Tow on the Limiteds. Plus it has the 20in wheels, power running boards, sync, second row heated seats, rubber floor mats and an extra year of warranty.

All for (his estimate) 2000 more than the 2008. It is an auction, so if he gets outbid, I may not get the car. I'll give him a price limit. If he can get the car and still make enough money to make it worth his while, he will buy it. If not, I'll wait til the following week.
Update:

Well the above car auctioned for more than I told them I would pay. I found a white one (my wife's color preference anyway) equipped as well plus it has the load leveling suspension. I made an offer. After a few counter offers, we arrived at a reasonable price.

It is 3 1/2 hours away, so I have not seen it in person yet. Likewise, they have not seen my trade-in either.

Assuming there are no problems with that, I am picking it up on Tues. Looking forward to starting a new thread "my new ride".

How do you guys feel about the LL Susp? Is it nice or does it negatively affect towing? Does it lower the vehicle when parked or does it just level it out under load? I was thinking the older ones lowered the vehicle when parked.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:40 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby
Update:

Well the above car auctioned for more than I told them I would pay. I found a white one (my wife's color preference anyway) equipped as well plus it has the load leveling suspension. I made an offer. After a few counter offers, we arrived at a reasonable price.

It is 3 1/2 hours away, so I have not seen it in person yet. Likewise, they have not seen my trade-in either.

Assuming there are no problems with that, I am picking it up on Tues. Looking forward to starting a new thread "my new ride".

How do you guys feel about the LL Susp? Is it nice or does it negatively affect towing? Does it lower the vehicle when parked or does it just level it out under load? I was thinking the older ones lowered the vehicle when parked.
When they leak they lower. I see a lot of older Expys-2002 and older with the 'lowrider' feature. Bladders dry out and crack.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:35 AM
chuck s
Elder User
If you have the airbag suspension you need to turn it OFF when setting up the WDH for your trailer. "Towing level" is only a symptom of good weight distribution and the air bags will level the truck without removing the overload from the rear suspension. Once setup you can turn the air bags back on and they'll take the last quarter inch out of level.

I use the Equalizer (brand) WDH with my 5000 pound camper but her weight stays pretty constant and only varies by a couple hundred pounds depending on water and other items. A car trailer will vary by a couple thousand pounds if empty or full so you will probably want a WDH that can be set and marked for different weights. These usually have chains for adjustment. Reese Dual Cam is worth a look. Set it up loaded and mark the chains where they hook up; then the same unloaded.

-- Chuck

Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 AM
5.4 Shelby
New User
Originally Posted by chuck s
If you have the airbag suspension you need to turn it OFF when setting up the WDH for your trailer. "Towing level" is only a symptom of good weight distribution and the air bags will level the truck without removing the overload from the rear suspension. Once setup you can turn the air bags back on and they'll take the last quarter inch out of level.

I use the Equalizer (brand) WDH with my 5000 pound camper but her weight stays pretty constant and only varies by a couple hundred pounds depending on water and other items. A car trailer will vary by a couple thousand pounds if empty or full so you will probably want a WDH that can be set and marked for different weights. These usually have chains for adjustment. Reese Dual Cam is worth a look. Set it up loaded and mark the chains where they hook up; then the same unloaded.

-- Chuck
Thanks Chuck. I will keep all this in mind when I do set it up. I prob wont be towing until at least April. I will have plenty of time to read up on setting up and towing w/ WDH. I will also look into the Equalizer and Reese set ups. I have always been a Reese guy in the past. My aftermarket hitches, receivers and hitchballs have always been Reese.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:01 AM
chuck s
Elder User
You need to weigh the tongue. Conventional trailers need 10% - 15% of their total weight on the ball to tow safely. Too light and they fishtail. (Called "sway" to not scare folks too much!)

A 1000 pound trailer needs 100 to 150 pounds on the ball. Put a 3500 pound load in it and you now need 450 to 675 pounds on the ball. Empty won't need WDH but loaded will.

Do you tow the empty trailer much?

-- Chuck

Old 01-17-2010, 11:20 PM
5.4 Shelby
New User
Originally Posted by chuck s
You need to weigh the tongue. Conventional trailers need 10% - 15% of their total weight on the ball to tow safely. Too light and they fishtail. (Called "sway" to not scare folks too much!)

A 1000 pound trailer needs 100 to 150 pounds on the ball. Put a 3500 pound load in it and you now need 450 to 675 pounds on the ball. Empty won't need WDH but loaded will.

Do you tow the empty trailer much?

-- Chuck
I dont owna car hauler yet. I doubt I will haul it empty much. typically the trailer will have the car in it. To and from driving destinations and track events.

I'm sure I will haul it for other uses such as moving people and, therefore, will be empty on the way home. So obviously, will need to figure out the above issues (tongue weight, etc.).

I have a Bass Boat, but, again, not much unloaded trailer for that.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:01 PM
5.4 Shelby
New User
I bought it today. Beautiful White 2009 Expedition Limited. Got home late. Truck is dirty (drove 3 1/2 hours home from dealership). Not gonna get it cleaned up tonight and pics taken. Hopefully in the next day or 2. Then I will start a new ride thread. Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:15 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
can't wait. always glad to see someone else get into one of these awesome vehicles