Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Broke down. Had to get towed home

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 11:00 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Angry Broke down. Had to get towed home

Not a good day for me, but reps to riverrat41 for the help getting me home. Started off the day by pulling the bed to fix a broken bed issue. Got that done and went to leave. Made it about 400 yards and the truck went from a slight miss, to rough running, to bad romps, to loud knock, no power, engine sounding like it's not firing on all cylinders, then it stalled.

When it started sounding bad I pulled over so all this occurred at idle under no engine load. No CEL and no codes. Checked under the hood for anything obvious. Oil is about 1 qt low (in the hash marks), good fuel stream out the drain valve with the key on. Unplugged ICP, saw oil in the plug, started truck and it started up like nothing was wrong. Let it idle for about 30 seconds and the above symptoms came back. When the engine was revved, white smoke and fuel smell.

Barry took me home, we grabbed my trailer and AE and went back. Went to start the truck to pull it up on the trailer and it would not start. (I had kind of expected it to long enough to get on the trailer). Only codes were from me unplugging the ICP and some wastegate code. I did get it to start briefely (about 4 seconds) one more time and the loud knock and rough running was immediate, then it died. Checked blowby with it running and no bad news there.

Lots of white smoke while cranking (temps in 40's and glow plugs are fine). You can hear the engine spin and occasionally sound like it's trying to start, but won't.

Over 2200 psi ICP while cranking, engine rpm registers, and I'll attach a live data recording while cranking.

I'll be pulling valve covers tomorrow. What input do the rest of you have?

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Ford-PowerStroke 12-26.pdf (7.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 12-26-2009, 11:33 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possibly a bad IDM? do you have a GPR LED indicator in the cab? glow plugs may be fine , but is the GPR O.K.? Any fuel or oil in the Degas bottle? does the white smoke smell like raw diesel? Charge batts tonight. check degas bottle in the a.m. cycle glow plugs 3 times, verify that GPR is working, try to crank.

Edit:
It could also be a bent pushrod, but lets rule out a cracked injector cup by looking in the degas bottle for fuel and or oil.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:42 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribing..good luck Chris, hope its something minor. Maybe under the valve covers tomorrow.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:51 AM
throwdown
Senior User
subscribing...........

Old 12-27-2009, 07:01 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
No LED Brandon, but GPR issues wouldn't have had the truck start fine in 45 deg weather then act rough 400 yds down the road, then cause it to stall.

I didn't crank it much, but thanks for the reminder on the batteries.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:10 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems. Hope you get it sorted out. Here is some info on smoke: PowerStroke diagnosis

Old 12-27-2009, 07:35 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
it all sounds lack of fuel related..does it knock while cranking???

sorry to hear about your troubles...

Old 12-27-2009, 07:37 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
it all sounds lack of fuel related..

sorry to hear about your troubles...
Yep, that's what I think, also what the AE report points to... if all the numbers reported in fact are true.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:47 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
it all sounds lack of fuel related..does it knock while cranking???
Yes it knocks while cranking. Appears to have good pressure at the bowl with the key on. Wish it wasn't so cold outside. (Don't know how you Northerners deal with it.)

Old 12-27-2009, 07:54 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
we just put more cloths on lol....
injector knock or internal???
just cause the bowl fills up..doesnt mean you have all the fuel you need...remember Lisa last year??? full bowl every time,High ICP,smoke,, even in 40* it is still posable to gel or even wax up...

Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
just re read the start of your day...is it posable you pinched or cracked a fuel line when doing the bed???? maybe loosend up some dirt in the tank??

Old 12-27-2009, 08:04 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
I'm thinking it's a loud injector knock. The pinched fuel line is a possibility that I was going to check if I can find enough cloths to put on to get outside. 30 deg here now, but will be 50 today.

I've got a clear inline filter after the intank mods so if it's a dirt issue, it will be easy to spot. I've been hoping it's just a pinched fuel line, but the fuel pump has not been making any loud noises.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not much more to add to the conversation that hasn't been said before. My first thought was fuel related as well. Diesel shouldn't gell at that temp. That sucks. Sorry!

Old 12-27-2009, 08:14 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
could be a return line pinched...being it happend so close to doing the bed, i think it would be something twards them lines..i wish you luck...

dont mean to brag but its been near 0 the last 2 weeks...its 40 and windy today and im loving it..but its going back down in the twenty's tomarrow and stay there and below for the rest of winter...

Old 12-27-2009, 08:31 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Well, it looks to be one of those ID ten T errors. Fuel line is pinched under a bed rail. When it warms up a little, I'll replace that piece of line, then loosen the bed and remove the pinched hose so the bed sits level.

I watched the first time we set the bed down to make sure the line was not pinched, but we had to loosen it and re-align it and I did not check it then.

The good pressure at the bowl, combined with the fact it would not start after sitting for an hour threw me, but it looks like several of you were right. I was just too pi$$ed to think straight.