1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

what the difference between the 7.3's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:37 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ok hows this. engine serial #576009 and below had lightening holes in the connecting rod pins. engine serial #576010 has a larger radius and no lightening holes. the counterweights are larger on serial# 576010 and above to counteract the extra weight in the connecting rod pin b/c they have no lightening holes.

Note: THE "LARGER" CRANKSHAFTS MAY ONLY BE USED IN CRANKCASES WITH SERIAL #'S HIGHER THAN 571930!!!!!!

the crankcase: the lower section of the crankcase has been modified to allow larger crankshaft counterweights to clear the crankcase. the serial # break for this change is 571930. this change occured on the crankcase prior to the crankshaft and can be used with either crankshaft listed above.

the camshaft: obviously the SD had no mech fuel pump so the fuel pump eccentric lobe was eliminated.

Rings: the intermediate ring width was increased from 0.137" to 0.185" to increase ring tension in the bore in the SD's starting with the E99. The intermediate ring has a larger chamfer on its inside face and increased width to dristinguish it from the prior second ring..... NOTE: THIS INTERMEDIATE RING CANNOT BE USED ON EARLIER(OBS) PISTONS!!!!!

Pistons: the SD piston has a deeper intermediate ring groove to accommodate the new icvreased intermediate ring width... NOTE: PISTONS AND RINGS CANNOT ME INTERCHANGED DUE TO INCREASED AND NARROW INTERMEDIATE RING WIDTHS!!!

Valve cover gasket and UVC harness: the SD harness used a single 9 pin connector on the UVC harness vs the two 5 pin OBS harness to reduce the number of connections and improve reliability

Engine harness: similar to the UVC, the engine harness also has two 9 pin connectors using larger wires and terminals for the glow plugs.

Manifolds and up pipes: the manifolds and up pipes were changed up for use of a common up pipe between "E" and "F" series i believe. On the OBS they were model specific.

Water Pump: water pump seals are dynamic seals. During engine cranking, seepage past the seal occurs. A reservoir was been added to the housing to allow the small amounts of seepage past the seal to accumulate and evaporate.

Thermostat housing: to provide clearance for the IC pipes and improved serviceability the SD has a shorter housing and has a thicker flange with a new seal

Water pump pulley: SD pulley is smaller for faster pump speed and less drag. i believe these mount the same and may be able to be used on an OBS with a different belt as an underdrive pulley?? haha

Single Mass Flywheels: the OBS had the "dual mass" flywheel. SD's had a single mass flywheel and used a 6 speed manual tranny(ZF6) instead of the ZF5 5 speed that the OBS had

17*HPOP: the SD used the 17* HPOP to make up for the use of the larger split shot injectors that the SD's had. the E99 used a 15* HPOP and had 120cc split shots vs 140cc split shots that came in the L99-03's that had the 17* HPOP.

Of course there are IDM's, wastegated turbos, HPOP rez, FPR, quick connect HPO Lines and fittings, fuel bowl that bolted to the HPOP rez, etc which were different from the OBS and SD. feel free to add to this list!!!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:52 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Some good additions in that list!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:57 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Some good additions in that list!
there are truely a lot more differences between the OBS and the SD than ppl ever think about. LoL. lots of the parts can be interchanged, but i don't think many people really ever think about the differences that are not interchangeable. LoL. b/c nobody cares if its not interchangeable!!! haha.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:18 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
adding to the list. just found this.

the crankcae was redesigned starting with engine serial number 375549 with thicker valley walls to increase stiffness to the assembly which reduces radiated engine combustion noise. the crankcase was also modded in the tappet shelf area. i knew about the tappet shelf difference, but not the thicker valley.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:38 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when you say "SD" do you mean super duty? Also" can you give me some info on electric fuel pump set ups? pros cons etc... thanks

Old 12-23-2009, 04:16 PM
cowboy20109
New User
answer to both questions

the biggest difference is that the 99 and up are intercooled....yes you can chip the 94.5-97 psd

Old 12-23-2009, 08:03 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagodragon
when you say "SD" do you mean super duty? Also" can you give me some info on electric fuel pump set ups? pros cons etc... thanks
Yes, its super duty. The electric fuel pump is more reliable and a lot easier to change if it quits. There are kits sold by ventors but some do it themselves.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:35 PM
gunnar7.3-9
Junior User
im new to this stuff but my boss isnt, before we chipped my truck he did a bunch of research and i can say im 100% happy with my TS chip and wide opens tuning. but thats just my opinion. hope it helps!

Old 12-23-2009, 10:37 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Welcome to the forums!! i haven't heard from anyone using Zanes tunes, but i can't see them being too bad. i of course use a TS style chip from Tony Wildman with his tunes on it. i love the tunes, but i have a couple things i want him to adjust on it to do with the idle and how the truck acts in certain settings. overall a great chip though.

the electronic systems are much better systems all around when we do them on our trucks. we switch to an electonic pump on the frame rail with a 2 micron pre filter and like a 150 micron post filter. some ppl use a 10 micron post filter, but i feel that is overkill. you then delete the factory fuel bowl and plug the factory mechanical pump hole in the valley. then you reroute how the fuel flows on the engine(i can tell you how to route them if you want) and use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on the return line so now its a regulated return fuel system. the pros are better fuel filtration, fuel flow, reliability, and it opens up the valley a lot. cons are simply costs and putting it together. i bought mine from dieselsite b/c i didn't want to take the time to find all the fittings and everything to do it. so i bought the dieselsite CPR fuel system which also utilizes a fuel cooler to help things out some as well.. i like the CPR system a lot.

Also yes, SD means super duty. the biggest difference between the OBS and SD is not the intercooling. its the combination of the electric fuel system, split shot injectors(quieter engine and more power), and the PCM allows the engine to run smoother, start smoother, and drop to idle smoother. oh yeah and the HPOP and IC as well. all are important differences between the two engines

Old 12-25-2009, 11:43 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Travis, I tried to rep ya for that comprehensive list. But I cannot yet. Somebody please rep him. Heck, everybody rep him. That is an awesome list that I am sure took plenty of time to research. Thanks again for all of your research, Sam.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Hmm as quiet as the Super Doodies are I would think they had a DMF setup still, considering the Dotches of the same time hda DMFs also.

interesting.
The SD's are much quieter as well.
The Split shot injectors and sidewalls like mentioned make them much quieter.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Hmm as quiet as the Super Doodies are I would think they had a DMF setup still, considering the Dotches of the same time hda DMFs also.

interesting.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:35 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Talyn

interesting.
William, no 2nd gen dodge i have torn into had a DMF in it and my brother has 3 24v dodges, a '99, a '01, and an '02.

Sam, thanks for the comments there. i actually did no research on that. i have the book that all the ford diesel mechanics got when the SD's came out on the PSD. it lists in there all the differences, how to work on them, special tools, wiring schematics, torque specs list, etc. its the book that they use for when they gotta take their tests on the new trucks. i have read that book about 50 times now b/c it somehow doesn't get old to me. i can post pics if anyone wants. its got a pic for most of the stuff i mentioned up there. LoL. So yeah, the ford mechanics should be much smarter than they are, but i guess since they work for money instead of fun and don't care about the customers trucks like we care for our own they don't turn out to be all that great b/c they are trying to do things as fast as possible. this book is pretty dang good. gonna go read it again now....

Old 12-27-2009, 10:26 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Travis, I want one.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:38 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 95_Dually
Travis, I want one.
pics or the book??? LoL

Quick Reply: what the difference between the 7.3's?