Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3L No Crank, No Start, Fuse Blow

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:13 PM
morgocon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3L No Crank, No Start, Fuse Blow

I really tried to not create another post - but could not find anything that matched that had a solution.
I parked my '99 F350 7.3 this afternoon to drain bad fuel (purchased in Northern Maine) from the main fuel tank - I'd been operating using my waste veggie oil tank with no problems until I had the time for this project.
Completed the process (34 gallons worth!) and was going to go fuel up, turned key on, waited for glow plug light to go out and attempted to start - no crank, 2nd try same. Checked batteries - 13 volts on the volt meter - used ohm meter to check all fuses - found 7.5 amp under hood blown - replaced - no change and fuse did not reblow. Found fuse #20 under dash - a 15 Amp blown - replaced and everytime I try to start it reblows. I was able to turn the starter over jumping across fender mounted solenoid (or relay). I'm pretty much at the end of my expertise (and energy for today) - tomorrow I'll probably whack the starter a couple of times to see if that makes any difference - I'm probably looking at a dead short somewhere in ignition system - right? Any ideas?

Thanks - Ric
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 12-14-2009, 07:23 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Welcome to FTE...I am not saying it is the starter but I had one act like that.When I whacked it with someone trying to start the truck fire flew out of it....It was toast.I hope it is that simple...

Old 12-14-2009, 07:35 PM
morgocon
New User
Barry - thanks for the response - "RiverRat" you canoe? Anyway in thinking about it - if I got the starter to spin by jumping the fender mounted relay - banging on it wouldn't be of any use, would it?

Ric

Old 12-14-2009, 07:45 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to FTE Ric. You can get a manual here.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...&VEHICLE=F-350

It shows fuse 20 under dash as starter motor relay coil. Also says gasoline only, so not sure on that. I'd start by looking at all cable, starter, relay coil connections. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

Dean

Old 12-14-2009, 07:51 PM
tnardo
Senior User
ok,. maybe my recent experience can help you. my truck wouldnt crank, no power to starter, no "fuses blown.... found a "maxi fuse" looks square and red says 50a , so its a 50 amp maxi fuse,new style, location 103? ignition switch so i stole the only other 50amp i seen location 110? and it started, look at the manual they r both lableled ignition switch, put a new 50a in the slot from where i stole the one and it wouldnt crank.... took it out and no prob...cheeeers

Old 12-14-2009, 07:58 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Originally Posted by morgocon
Barry - thanks for the response - "RiverRat" you canoe? Anyway in thinking about it - if I got the starter to spin by jumping the fender mounted relay - banging on it wouldn't be of any use, would it?

Ric
Raised on the Brazos River and if you are on the river all the time you are concidered a ''Riverrat'' were I am from.Maybe some of the others will have more.Good luck.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 PM
morgocon
New User
Originally Posted by DND58
Welcome to FTE Ric. You can get a manual here.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...&VEHICLE=F-350

It shows fuse 20 under dash as starter motor relay coil. Also says gasoline only, so not sure on that. I'd start by looking at all cable, starter, relay coil connections. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

Dean
Dean:

Thanks for the info! I tried to chase the Manual link but it wouldn't let me in without a password - I'll try to register using the root later on. Really appreciate your input and will follow up on the starter, solenoid, coil connections - thanks again.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 PM
morgocon
New User
Originally Posted by tnardo
ok,. maybe my recent experience can help you. my truck wouldnt crank, no power to starter, no "fuses blown.... found a "maxi fuse" looks square and red says 50a , so its a 50 amp maxi fuse,new style, location 103? ignition switch so i stole the only other 50amp i seen location 110? and it started, look at the manual they r both lableled ignition switch, put a new 50a in the slot from where i stole the one and it wouldnt crank.... took it out and no prob...cheeeers
Tnardo - once I'm sure my connections are good I'll try that fuse swap - kinda wonder what the other fuse does - don't you? Thanks for taking the time to share your experience - looking forward to acting on all this good advice!

Ric

Old 12-15-2009, 07:17 AM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 12-15-2009, 07:48 AM
morgocon
New User
Originally Posted by DND58
Dean - Thanks! That got me in - they sure don't give that info away, do they?!?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:33 PM
morgocon
New User
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
I replaced the starter motor relay coil & the starter, checked wiring - no obvious shorts (will check again tomorrow) #20 fuse still blows when I turn ignition to start and there is no crank. This driveway work isn't all it's cracked up to be (or the way I remember it!)

Ric

Old 12-15-2009, 07:44 PM
morgocon
New User
Exclamation UPDATE

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
I replaced the starter motor relay coil & the starter, checked wiring - no obvious shorts (will check again tomorrow) #20 fuse still blows when I turn ignition to start and there is no crank.

This driveway work isn't all it's cracked up to be (or the way I remember it!)

Ric

Old 12-15-2009, 07:51 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Auto or stick?

15 amp fuse 20 appears to be GEM or CPP on a 2000 (my manual doesn't go back to 99)

What was the fuse number of the 7.5 amp that was blown just out of curiosity?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:13 PM
morgocon
New User
Chris - thanks for any ideas!
It's an automatic. The 7.5 amp fuse was in the power center under the hood - farthest front, farthest passenger side corner.
Pardon my ignorance but can you decode "GEM" & "CPP" ?
Like Bill Murphy said in GhostBusters "just pretend I don't know anything about this stuff".

Ric

Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by morgocon
Like Bill Murphy said in GhostBusters "just pretend I don't know anything about this stuff".

Ric

Don't worry about the CPP (clutch pedal postion) sensor. The GEM is one of those computer type brain things that affects power locks and a bunch of other stuff. I'd suggest you pull the fuse panel under the steering wheel and look at the back side of it for any signs of moisture. Some of the 99's had issues with leaking windshields that would drip on the back of the fuse panel and cause problems, including issues with the GEM.

I'll try and dig more tonight in the wiring diagrams and see what else I can find.

Quick Reply: 7.3L No Crank, No Start, Fuse Blow