Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3L No Crank, No Start, Fuse Blow

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:47 AM
andrewc53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a no start problem on my truck about a year ago. Nothing on the key and as I remember a blown fuse. I had a few other issues as well blinking over drive light and heater control stopped working right, and a anti lock break light. The shop replaced the under dash fuse box and fixed everything. A Curtis

Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 AM
morgocon
New User
Forgot to mention that -Theft system has always been strange - door locks don't work, "clicker" never worked, even with fresh batteries - I've since misplaced it. When hooking batteries back up after doing anything electrical, alarm system siren goes off, it shuts off when I activate ignition with key.

Ric

Old 12-16-2009, 07:06 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
When you say alarm system siren, do you mean the horn beeping, or do you have an aftermarket alarm siren in there?

The GEM (Generic Electronic Module) is tied into the RKE (remote keyless entry) but no alarm sirens. It is tied into a bunch of tranny stuff, so it could cause the no start issue. While we're on that topic, make sure the gear shift is in Park and maybe try starting in Neutral to make sure that's not the problem.

Any signs of water stains under the dash somewhere?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 PM
rmwitt
New User
NO Start ford x

After checking the batteries, cleaning the batteries, I finally called the tow truck. The tow truck operator got into my car to start, and nothing; he then moved the gear shifter lever through all positions, and held the lever as far as possible into the 'park' position....it started immediately. it appears that there is not a good connection when the gear shifter is in park. I have not fixed it, but I simply move the gear shifter whenever it won't start, and then it starts!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:43 AM
morgocon
New User
Originally Posted by F350-6
When you say alarm system siren, do you mean the horn beeping, or do you have an aftermarket alarm siren in there?

The GEM (Generic Electronic Module) is tied into the RKE (remote keyless entry) but no alarm sirens. It is tied into a bunch of tranny stuff, so it could cause the no start issue. While we're on that topic, make sure the gear shift is in Park and maybe try starting in Neutral to make sure that's not the problem.

Any signs of water stains under the dash somewhere?
Chris:

If the factory security makes the horn blow, I must have aftermarket because it's definitely a siren - and LOUD! To bad it doesn't work under normal conditions.

I got so focussed on the fuse blowing that I didn't bother to shift into neutral to try it.

The dealership has it now - it had to go for a cruise control recall appointment today anyway, so I had AAA take it in for me. I'm working outside on it and the cold was starting to get to me - I really appreciate your input.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:46 AM
morgocon
New User
Originally Posted by rmwitt
After checking the batteries, cleaning the batteries, I finally called the tow truck. The tow truck operator got into my car to start, and nothing; he then moved the gear shifter lever through all positions, and held the lever as far as possible into the 'park' position....it started immediately. it appears that there is not a good connection when the gear shifter is in park. I have not fixed it, but I simply move the gear shifter whenever it won't start, and then it starts!
As I indicated to Chris - the whole fuse blow thing steered me away from a neutral switch problem - thanks for your input - and as a fellow new bee - Welcome to FTE. I've never seen a forum with friendlier or more responsive members. It's a terrific service and community.

Ric

Old 12-21-2009, 06:30 AM
morgocon
New User
Thumbs up Resolution Update

Problem resolved Sorry to be so long in posting - snowstorm came through, friends over, etc. etc. Finally had AAA take the truck to the dealership where it had to go anyway for a cruise control recall fix. Of course when it got there it wasn't just the electrical anymore - it wouldn't pick up fuel either. They found the short near the driver's side front leaf spring assembly (I never saw it) and after dropping the tank they discovered that the fuel pick up hose/tube/screen had become disconnected and unable to draw fuel. That part made no sense to me, however I have my truck back and it's running well (after triple heating the glow plugs on these cold mornings) - thanks to all of you for your input, I learned a lot and hope to be able to help with someone elses issues in the future - a warm happy merry to all.

Ric

Old 12-21-2009, 07:20 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Thanks for reporting back.Glad it is fixed