Rookie diesel owner/ anti theft ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:36 PM
rackhound
Freshman User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rookie diesel owner/ anti theft ?

Hello!
I finally pulled the trigger and bought my first diesel!
I found a 99 f250 4X4 CrewCab shortbed srw and the best part it only has 38,600 mi.
I'm in the process of reasearching anti theft, kill swith ect. Here in AZ we have a big problem with auto theft.
Has anyone had the revelco installed? I looks good but a little spendy.
I got a quote for $460.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:18 PM
bigunred
Elder User
It looks good, but I am always leary of a company that lists all the reasons they are the best and everyone else is wrong.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:48 PM
jfmaz
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I left the glove box door open on my F350 a few weekends ago, then didn't start it for a week. Obvioulsy, battery was dead. disconnected the battery and charged it up. Truck is new to me of a couple of months. Anyway, re-connected the battery and the alarm went off - horns blaring. I didn't even know it had an alarm system, previous owner didn't tell me. I disconnected the horns, tried again - could hear the horn relays clicking on and off - then found a small button under the dash and pushed it a few times - horns stopped. Disconnected -reconnected the battery again and tried to start the truck with the horn relays clicking, no start. Pushed the little button under dash, horns stop, truck starts. Looks like I have a security system, but will probably never know how to activate / deactivate it unless I disconnect the battery every time I stop!! HA!!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:33 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,774 Likes on 1,154 Posts
welcome to FTE!
I live in a rural town and most of the time I take the keys out of my truck!
When I lived in Glendale someone tried to steal my '90 F250 IDI, they didn't know where the glow plug switch was so they didn't get it running. they did tear it up pretty good.
all I can say is if you live in the valley put it inside.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:52 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome Aboard.
Craig

Old 12-18-2009, 07:44 PM
kstones63
Senior User
rackhound,
I thought that I had the lowest mileage 99 out there. Mine is an F250 4wd, PSD, cc, swb that only has 55,000 miles on it. I have only driven mine 5,000 miles in the past 2 1/2 years.
Sounds like it was parked way too much, just like mine.
You will love that deisel. Are you thinking about any performance upgrades?
Welcome to FTE.

Kevin

Old 12-19-2009, 07:39 AM
bigunred
Elder User
You could always take it to a car stereo store, the most likely would be able to set you up with new remotes.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 PM
ChuckDinAZ
Freshman User
Get a chip with an anti-theft tune on it also you can get a Cyclops. Cyclops Theft Avoidance Module

Old 01-22-2010, 09:52 PM
rackhound
Freshman User

Back on line. My internet connection has been on the fritz for a few weeks. Thx for the ideas and info on alarms and tuners.
Does the no start feature on a tuner work to prevent a hot wire?
I may be inclined to get a tuner with a no start feature instead of the ravelco.
Thx!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:58 PM
ChuckDinAZ
Freshman User
It basically commands the ECM to not fire the injectors, if they dont provide fuel it dont start. What part of AZ are you in? I can show you how mine works, even with the key mine wont start.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Super Steve
Laughing Gas
That cyclops looks pretty neat. My truck is paid off so I want to get rid of comprehensive insurance so I can save some cash. But, every night a couple of F250's are stolen from Phoenix and taken south to the rez to pick up border buddies, so I want to make mine theft proof. I have a big lift and big tires so mine isn't the most desirable since it has a high center of gravity, but I still worry.
Does a remote turn that cyclops on and off so it operates like a normal relay?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Ex18C
New User
Ravelco

I have the Ravelco system installed in both my wife's 2002 Excursion Diesel and my 2005 Excursion Diesel. I put them in after a guy I work with had his 2004 F-250 stolen from a Wal-Mart in Surprise 10 days after he bought it. On the store security tape it clearly shows a scout car drive by his truck very slowly. Then about a minute or so later another car comes by and let's an individual out and that individual got into my friends truck with a screwdriver. His truck was gone about 10 seconds after the subject entered the vehicle. His truck was found stripped and they never caught who did it.

Overall I like the Ravelco. It's nothing flashy and you will forget the plug in your truck a few times during the first week until you get used to it. I would also make sure your turbo has stopped cooling before removing the plug. The installer came up from Tucson, however there will be someone new in Phoenix starting up I believe this week. Total cost for both was just shy of $1000 and included a spare plug, id stickers for each. Not sure where you are but I hope this helps. Contact me if you have any questions.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:28 PM
rackhound
Freshman User

Thanks for the input!
I bought 2 ravelcos on E bay thanks to a heads up from an FTE member. Put them in my f250 and my wifes Excursion. Took about 3 hours for each install.
Now I have the Ravelco, Jimmi Jammers door plates, viper car alarm, and I never park it without a Club on the wheel. I guess am I little paranoid but I know at least a dozen people who have had their SDs stolen in the Phx. area.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Super Steve
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by rackhound
I guess am I little paranoid but I know at least a dozen people who have had their SDs stolen in the Phx. area.
I know of at least a hundred.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
I never leave mine out of sight! Now hearing about this has me even more interested in checking out some protection! Mines not the prettiest, but a person never knows who will want what!

Quick Reply: Rookie diesel owner/ anti theft ?