1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 f1 bed/fender question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 01:39 PM
terryb4471
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1950 f1 bed/fender question

Here is the problem. I ordered a new assembled bed from Northern Classic Trucks for my truck. I ordered the late 1950 bed. Come to find out I have the 48 to early 50 bed and the rear fenders are different. Northern Classic Trucks told me the beds mounted the same. The only difference was a cosmetic appearence. Well I'm finding out now that isn't true. My fenders are in good shape. Has anyone tried to fit the different bed fenders. I called Northern Classic Trucks back to confirm the difference and lady answering the phones had no clue. When she transferred me to one of the shop guys they confirmed it. She should not be giving out advice. They won't take it back because I had it primed. I live about 10 miles away and I'm thinking about taking them to court. Any susgestions?
Terry

Old 12-13-2009, 02:20 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Taking them to court for what? You'll spend far more in attorney fees than the cost of the correct bed. Move on. Cut your losses. Sell the parts you have and buy the stuff you want form someone more reputable and helpful.

The obvious question I have to ask is, why didn't you realize what you ordered was different than what you had? Or, were you just trying to save a buck buying the later, less expensive part? (Be honest, now) Every catalog from every parts vendor I've ever seen clearly identifies the differences between the early and late beds. It really is very apparent.

When they tell you the beds "mount" the same, that part is correct. They both sit on the frame, and are attached with bolts from the bed to the truck frame. The bed side and fender style has nothing to do with the actual mounting of the bed to the truck. That does fall under the heading of "cosmetic appearence"

No vendor of any part will take back a part that has been altered or modified. That includes prepped and primed for paint. So that is not uncommon, and not grounds for a lawsuit. Which brings me back to my original question, what are you planning to sue them for, exactly?

Old 12-13-2009, 04:10 PM
rpol7966
Junior User
I don't pretend to know all of the facts in your deal with Northern Classic Truck Parts other than what information that you have provided. If there is any issue, I tend to feel that you created your own mess. Simply put, it sounds like you ordered the wrong bed for your truck. That definitely is not the vendor's fault!
I have tinkered with old vehicles for many years and have paid some pretty high "tuition" on several mistaken purchases. Most all have been due to my own ignorance. I've learned that knowledge is the best ammunition in buying the parts for any project. You HAVE to know what you are buying and what parts are correct for any particular application.
I'm with '52 Merc, time to move on and use this as an expensive learning experience. You might try selling the bed to another F1 owner.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:37 PM
needhelp49
Elder User
unless your going for a true Restoration you can use that bed. sell off your early fenders and get the right ones. you can get new glass ones or look for original
that bed is a popular replacement because of the price.
but i agree unless they told you it would work on a early style truck with your fenders and you have that in writing good luck. but when they raise there prices to cover legal costs. you wont be vary popular

Old 12-13-2009, 11:39 PM
terryb4471
Freshman User
I recieved the truck from my uncle who died in April. So I'm no expert in restoring this trucks. I was never told that the fenders were different. I did ask why the beds were different prices. They told me that the late 50 was a smooth finish and less work was involved in making it. Why would I order the wrong bed even if it was cheaper? Yes I was trying to save money. The style of the bed doesn't matter to me since the truck isn't going to be original. But, if I knew the fenders were not going to work I would of spent the more money for the correct bed. You don't need an attorney to go to small claims court.
That was to explain how I go into this problem. Has anyone tried to mount the earlier fenders on the late bed?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:27 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by terryb4471
I recieved the truck from my uncle who died in April. So I'm no expert in restoring this trucks. I was never told that the fenders were different. I did ask why the beds were different prices. They told me that the late 50 was a smooth finish and less work was involved in making it. Why would I order the wrong bed even if it was cheaper? Yes I was trying to save money. The style of the bed doesn't matter to me since the truck isn't going to be original. But, if I knew the fenders were not going to work I would of spent the more money for the correct bed. You don't need an attorney to go to small claims court.
That was to explain how I go into this problem. Has anyone tried to mount the earlier fenders on the late bed?

It won't work - period. There is a 3/16 inch panel that projects outward on the early bed sides that the older fenders are notched to fit around. The new bed sides are smooth and the fenders are not notched. If you try to mount the older fenders on the newer bedsides, there will be a 3/16" gap between them on the top half of the seam.

And as far as sueing, there isn't judge in the world who is going to listen to your case for any more than about 2 minutes before he dismisses it. And here is what he's going to tell you:

You are a grown up now. And if you are going to go through the undertaking of restoring a vehicle it is your responsibility to know the vehicle and to know what parts you need. If you are waiting for others to tell you how to restore the truck or what parts you need, then perhaps you should leave the restoration to other people. If you order the wrong parts, it's your fault.

So, first you should have done a little homework. If nothing else start a thread here and say "hey I'm buying a new bed for my early 1950 F1 - is there anything I need to look for or be concerned with? Who is a good supplier." It wouldn't have been any harder than starting this one. We have that discussion here almost monthly, and I could have provided you with at least 4 links that would have answered those questions. Proactive??? Reactive???? Strike one.

Second, when the bed arrived it should have been very apparent that what you got is not the same as what you had, and there are significant differences between the two that a child of five could have ascertained might cause fit problems at the fenders. And you might have asked us or the vendor about it at that time. Strike two.

Then you had it primed without prefitting the parts to see if they all fit - holes lined up, etc. Strike three.

So, I'm sorry, but you didn't do you homework, dropped the ball, are trying to blame a vendor for doing exactly what you asked them to do and now want to sue.

It's my opinion that this situation typifies one of the things that is becoming tremendously wrong with this country. People taking uneducated, irresponsible actions, and then trying to skirt accountability by blaming someone else when it doesn't work.

The only thing I regret about this post is there isn't a smiley with a "crying towel."

Sell the bed and get the right one; or, sell the fenders and buy the right ones.

Good luck with your restoration!

Old 12-14-2009, 06:23 AM
JimBollman
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
Gee Julie tell us what you really think :-)

I agree, I have a stake bed and have no real reason to care about pickup bed differences but in reading this and a couple other forums for the last 2 months I knew the beds changed and that the fenders didn't interchange. I read that in probably the first week or two of getting up to speed on these old trucks.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:23 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Ok, ok, lets all calm down here, yes the bedsides and fenders are different....but....you can still use your early style fenders.

Yes, they do have a notch cut out of them to match the raised bedside panels, and yes, your new bed has flat side panels, but all of the mounting holes are in the correct position. We're talking about 3/16 of an inch here, the fender welting will cover that and no one will be the wiser.

Ideally it would be nice to find a great set of replacement fenders but sometimes thats expensive. My advice is to mock it all up with the fenders you have and some fender welting and see what you think. Its been done in the past, there is actaully a member or two on the board that has done it.

Its not the end of the world
Bobby

Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
If you are not satified with the fitup as suggested by Bobby, I would go out on the hunt for a set of the later rear fenders (before I let go of the set of earlier fenders). If you can buy a comparable set to your fenders, I would then sell your earlier fenders. With a little luck, you can come out close to equal. Given that the price of the two beds differs by almost $700 and you must have paid to get the new bed primed, going the other way of selling your current new bed at a loss and then paying the additional $700 for the earlier bed will cost you an additional $1000 or more. That is just my opinion. My 49 is the early bed and I installed a new original style steel floor in it (not rusted but badly dented). Not for the faint of heart!
Good luck with whatever you decide but I do think that you need to accept where you are at and move on. We are all here to offer any help/suggestions for the future, just ask.
As an aside, may years ago before Chuck started Chucks Trucks, I had 2 NOS front fenders from one side and Chuck had 2 NOS fenders for the other side. We got together and did a swap such that we both had a pair for our trucks. No $ changed hands.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:34 PM
terryb4471
Freshman User
Julies, I don't want to post every little question I have. I do try to search the forum for my answers. What ever happened to customer service. I asked questions on why the beds were different. All they had to do was tell me that the fenders are different, then I could have check it out. I'm far from whats wrong with this country. I'm glad I don't take you opinion when I stop people for traffic violations. I guess everyone should receive a ticket. I don't make uneducated or irresponsible actions. I'm sure when you get stopped you try the blame someone else or give some lame excuse for breaking the law.

Terry

Old 12-14-2009, 01:00 PM
blsd49
More Turbo

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Wow! Got to the last reply and had to go back and reread what Terry had asked. this is what I got from it: The vendors statement that:
"The only difference was a cosmetic appearence."

To bad it took 5 replies (thanks bobbytnm) for someone to offer some useful advise.
I agree that now it is time to move on but that doesn't mean that the vendor was without fault.

Merry Christmas
Brian

Old 12-14-2009, 01:33 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually (IMOHO), the later bed is better looking than the earlier one and simpler made thus the price difference. I used the later bed and 51/52 rear fenders on my 48 and it came out very well. Sell the original metal fenders and buy a couple of 51/52 Bebops fiberglass fenders for the rear. You can probably sell your rear fenders for more than the price of the fiberglass fenders and all will be well (and they won't rust to boot!)...

Here's my 48 with the later bed...

Old 12-14-2009, 01:39 PM
vbarker
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When calling with a question about a product, the first thing to do is ask for the technical folks (not the person answering the phone). The person answering the phone may be just that,,, a person to answer the phone. Every company has issues. I do agree with Bobby. It can be fixed probably with minor cosmetic fabrication. Work with what you have and see what the outcome will be. Good luck Terry.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:07 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
Actually (IMOHO), the later bed is better looking than the earlier one and simpler made thus the price difference.
What?!?!?!?

Vern, is the senility setting in? (just kidding). I'm just the opposite, I love the art deco styling with the rounded stake pockets, and raised bedsides of the earlier beds.

Its all good
Bobby

Old 12-14-2009, 02:24 PM
vbarker
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bobby, probably so, after all I am getting old, LOL. My buddy has a 52, we are using the 48 bed and 52 fenders. It is going to work fine, but will do as stated a little cosmetic fabbing.

Quick Reply: 1950 f1 bed/fender question