1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case oil- Mercon V OK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 03:34 PM
hamster
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case oil- Mercon V OK?

Got a 01 F250 w/Powerstroke and the manual says to use Mercon oil in the transfer case. It also says that Mercon and Mercon V are not comapatable.

Ford don't make regualr Mercon anymore and they sold me the Mercon V which I didn't realize until I got home. I called them and they say that it will run fine in the transfer case however, it says on the back of the bottle, 'Do not use in transfer cases'.

Has anyone had an issue with changing over to the Mercon V? Do you just drain out as much as you can or did you flush it out before installing the new oil?

I just don't want to take any chances on it not working and doing damage to the case.

Sorry if this is a repeat, haven't been on here in a while. That's why I have a Ford, so I don't have to waste my time looking for answers to problems that pop up ;-).

Don

Old 12-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Very interesting...

I looked through a few years worth of owner's guides and they all say Mercon ATF up to '08, where they switch to "Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid". Seeing as the '08+ trucks use the same t-cases as the '07 and earlier SDs, I'd suggest trying to get your hands on this Motorcraft stuff.

If it were me I'd simply go to wal-mart and get some Mercon/Dextron and use that. Way cheaper than dealer prices, and they are certified to be Mercon compatible.

And yes, there is no flush for a T-case. Drain, fill, and drive!

Old 12-12-2009, 04:43 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Supposibly Ford changed the formulation of the Mercon V but I would trust the writing on the bottle over a guy behind the parts counter, I'd return it. I changed the fluid in my 04' and used 2 quarts of Amsoil's ATF which is universal and a full synthetic ATF. I hear Mobil1 ATF is good stuff also. I don't see any reason to use Ford oils and fluids in my truck when the aftermarket meets or exceeds there specs. I'm pretty shure Castrol still makes and sells Mercon because I have some I got some after the switch.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:17 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just switched mine out with M1 ATF.
Runs fine.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:03 PM
hamster
Junior User
Thanks guys, that's what I've always liked about this forum is you can get a quick and decent answer.

Makes me feel better about my decision to not use it even though they said it was what they use now. Of course they are a dealership and have no problem selling you a new transfer case if yours goes bad. I just happened to be near there one day and didn't feel liked driving anywhere else to go get some.

I'll see what else I can find that matches up.

Don

Old 12-13-2009, 07:36 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
I used this write up
Welcome to guzzle's Transfer Case Fluid Change Web Page
And this fluid

Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2009, 02:55 PM
hamster
Junior User
I like youir little transfer pump, didn't know they made such a thing. There have been many times in the past that I could have used a pump like that, but glad I don't do that sort of thing for a living anymore.

I like the part in the write up about not using air tools, does this mean I shouldn't hammer the plug into an aluminum case with my 1/2" impact? ;-)

Don

Old 12-13-2009, 04:40 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by hamster
I like youir little transfer pump, didn't know they made such a thing.
I bought one for my rear differential's lube, but for lightweight ATF you could use a shampoo bottle dispensing top and some clear tubing with a tie-wrap.

It would just take a bit longer, but you're only pumping two quarts.

...does this mean I shouldn't hammer the plug into an aluminum case with my 1/2" impact?
Yea, that's what it means. Of course, if you want to........

Pop

Old 12-13-2009, 10:02 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mercon v and mercon is compatible ford had a message about it a few years ago

you can use mercon v instead of mercon just not the other way around

Old 12-13-2009, 10:06 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also the bottles usually say mercon/mercon v

Old 12-13-2009, 10:57 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Right, Mercon is history. And to the guy that asked about using an impact on the drain plug...............you can't be serious.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
How sad that our 2000 F250 doesn't look like that now it full of crusty rusty flaky no black coat on steel it peel off.

What I learn about any type of ATF. They have different chemical and friction which could harm to transfer case. It best to follow bottle and manual book in drawer on truck.

Mecron V should be ok.

Originally Posted by SGnAZ

Old 12-14-2009, 10:00 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I like youir little transfer pump, didn't know they made such a thing.
I use Amsoil oils a lot and they sell a pump that screws right on several of their different bottle sizes. Pump kit was under $15.

Use an allen wrench on the plugs. I used a wrap and a half of teflon tape (for pipe fittings) on the plugs just to make shure they are sealed.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:15 AM
mackstruck
Senior User
I like youir little transfer pump, didn't know they made such a thing. There have been many times in the past that I could have used a pump like that, but glad I don't do that sort of thing for a living anymore.

Don

You can buy a simular pump for about $10 in the Wal-mart boat/marine section. It is marketed as a gear lube pump. Just cut off the fitting that screws into the boat engine and you are done. It will fit any oil or gear lube bottle on the market.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Capt Skup
New User
About that little pump sold at Walmart, yes it is a pump to service outdrive lower units. You don't have to cut off the steel fitting at the end of the tube, just make sure the washer does not fall off and into the case. I just insert the end an inch into the case fill hole and pump away. Sure beats spilling the new fluid all over the place. Thnk I might try the Mobile1 this time around.

Quick Reply: Transfer case oil- Mercon V OK?