Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Give it to me STRAIGHT!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 01:18 PM
kbbrown123
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Give it to me STRAIGHT!

Hey everyone. Just bought 2002 Mercury Mountaineer 4.0L V6 97k miles, it was well maintained with all records its a real nice ride with lots of bells and whistles...however, already have some issues to discuss. I would appreciate anyone and any comments about the vehicle, the good and the bad. But more so the bad, i want to know of things to be aware of or common "expensive" issues these things have and tell tell signs of issues before they get WAY bad.
1st issue: When i turn on the rear air and put the thermostat all the way COLD or HOT there is a loud ticking noise, like the locks unlocking, but with the thermostat in the middle or so there is no noise. I have seen a few things about blend actuator or what not. Will it be expensive to fix or something i can do? Any tips would be great.
2nd concern: I dont like the idea of a sealed transmission, a piece of equipment that i cannot maintain. But does anyone have anything to say, negative or positive, about this transmission? I have read a few "horror" stories, but maybe someone here can give me a little relief that they arent so bad.
3rd issue: The plastic piece on the back liftgate where the emblem is is cracked, i have read this is real common apparently, any suggestions on the best most inexpensive way to replace or repair?

I appreciate everyones input, site like this are so helpful. I hope someone can give me some answers, and i hope not everyone tells me this car i crap. Im hoping for it to last a while, its the "new" family car we needed four doors due to our new addition. So please, anything and everything is appreciated. thank you

Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
The ticking rear A/C is common, live with it

Tranny is not sealed, just has no dipstick, works well if looked after and schedule regular changes.

Plastic crack, common aesthetics problem, replace or live with it..

Look after the vehicle and fix the little things, will last for yrs, and yrs.... check my sig (also have 92 480k)

Old 12-08-2009, 09:12 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Temp noise could the the blend door actuator if noise is under the radio area. I dont know of have a rear air noise problme, never heard that one.
Transmission is good, needs to have oil changed every 60k miles. Drain plug on bottom. Has a pump- fill plug in the center of it. you use a weed sprayer or similar to pump oil back in thru the drain hole stand tube.
Rear door crack is common, forget it. It cracked due to thermal expansion of the steel door different than the plastic cover. Can happen in winter when going from garage to outside cold area, or washing car at carwash on cold day.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:27 AM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the 4.0 you got is the SOHC, read up on timing chains and guides. There are many posts on that subject.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 AM
kbbrown123
New User
YEa, the noise is in the driver side rear cargo side panel area. When you turn the rear ac temp control all the way hot or cold it starts ticking kinda loud like someone is holding the unlock button or something. Is there something i need to repalce back there? It doesnt sound "healthy" to live with and use... And how hard is draining and filling the transmission with a garden pump sprayer? Can you take it to a shop and have it flushed? Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:44 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes you can take it to a shop, and yes you can have it flushed, but no, you do not want to have it flushed. what you want is the pan dropped, the filter replaced, if equipped, and then new gaskets and it needs to be refilled. If you want to flush it, do it yourself. The proper way to flush is to disconnect the trans cooler, turn the vehicle to pump the fluid out, then refill, and repeat. This method wastes a lot of fluid (about 12 quarts of Merc V), and is only needed on a neglected trans. One that has been serviced every 30,000 (not the 60,000 listed above) does not need to be flushed unless the torque converter has failed.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:13 AM
kbbrown123
New User
Thanks for the info. So if the tranny has been taken care of, all i need to do every 30k miles or so is drop the pan, change the filter and gaskets, and refill? The previous owner i believe had it flushed(complete fluid exchange) routinely, the last record of it was at 90k miles. I just need to know how to take care of and maintain it properly so hopefully it will last, i've heard different stories, and numerous do's and donts with this "sealed" transmission. How about the rear diff, I did not see a record of it ever being serviced. Shouldn't the fluid in the rear end be changed about every 30k as well? Thanks again for the help.