Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Lost my keys

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:26 PM
King0581
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lost my keys

I lost my keys the other night and it had my keyless entry remote on them. Where is the best place to get a new remote. I gotta get a new key made soon also, before I either lock it in the truck or lose it.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:37 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Seen a bunch for sale on E-bay for cheap but don't know how that works, reprogramming and all. I've heard the keys are like 20.00 bucks from Ford because of the security chip in the key.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:43 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't seen an SD with the PATS chipped key. You can get the non PATS key, my dealer had them for <$5 each. As for the remote, best place as mentioned earlier is ebay. Reprogramming involves turning the key from off to on 8 times then clicking the button on the transmitter...

Old 12-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by camodown
I haven't seen an SD with the PATS chipped key.
Excursion's came with the PATS system.

Originally Posted by big poppa
Seen a bunch for sale on E-bay for cheap but don't know how that works, reprogramming and all. I've heard the keys are like 20.00 bucks from Ford because of the security chip in the key.
For my Lightning, my F150, my daughters Escape, my wife's Excursion, and my F250 I've purchased all my extra PATS keys or keyless entry fobs off of ebay.

For programming a keyless entry fob for your vehicle, just use the following directions:
  • Insert a key in the ignition and without starting your car, turn the key from OFF to ON eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the ON position.
  • The doors will lock/unlock to confirm that programming mode has been entered.
  • Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on the transmitter. The doors will lock/unlock to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure must be repeated.
  • Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. The doors will lock/unlock to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed.
  • When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn the ignition to OFF, or just wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.

Also, IIRC, if you are adding a new fob to your collection but still have a working fob, both fobs (even the old programmed one) need to be programmed at the same time in order for them to both work.

Stewart

Old 12-09-2009, 09:00 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
I got the PATS system in mine, the dealer warned me when I bought my truck about loosing a key. Great info there Stewart...

Old 12-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Thanks Mike.

Just for grins and giggles, here's the procedure for programming your own PATS key.

You have to have two working PATS keys in order to do this yourself, otherwise you need to go to the dealership or a properly equipped locksmith.

Ford:
98-04 Crown Victoria, 00-04 Excursion, 99-04 Expedition, 98-07/04 Explorer, 99-04 F-Series truck, 04 F-Series Heritage (old body style), 98-04 Mustang, 99-04 Ranger V6, 98-04 Taurus & 99-04 Windstar mini-van.

Lincoln:
02-04 Blackwood, 98-04 Continental, 99-04 Navigator & 98-04 Town Car

Mazda:
99-04 B-Series P/U with V6 engine

Mercury:
98-04 Grand Marquis, 98-07/04 Mountaineer & 98-04 Sable

1. Place first already programmed key in the keyway. Turn the ignition from OFF to ON (RUN) without starting the vehicle, for at least 1 second and then switch to OFF.

2. Within 5 seconds, insert your second already programmed key in the keyway. Turn the ignition from OFF to ON (RUN) without starting it, for at least 1 second and then switch to OFF.

3. Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition lock cylinder to OFF, insert the new key into the keyway. Turn the ignition from OFF to ON (RUN) without starting it, for at least 1 second and then switch to OFF.

The theft indicator light should go on for three seconds, after which the key will start the vehicle. Repeat this process, from the beginning, for each new key to be programmed.

Stewart

Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Good to know Stewart but I have my own alarm with remote start, isn't the key with the chip in it just for, per say, that the truck will only start with my key in it?? Sorry Lee, I hope were answering any questions you might still have, don't want to trample all over your thread??

Old 12-09-2009, 09:40 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
You might also try checking the local craig's list under parts or put an add there for the remote. I got mine from a salvage yard a number of years ago. I bought the truck used and it didn't come with one.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by big poppa
Good to know Stewart but I have my own alarm with remote start, isn't the key with the chip in it just for, per say, that the truck will only start with my key in it?? Sorry Lee, I hope were answering any questions you might still have, don't want to trample all over your thread??
Yep. It really is just a Passive Anti-Theft System.

Stewart

Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ahhhh.... I knew I forgot to add the Excursions had PATS... I didn't forget the Excursions..don't worry haha.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Yep. It really is just a Passive Anti-Theft System.

Stewart
OK, cool.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 AM
King0581
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had seen them on ebay but was just wondering if anyone had tried them. How would I know if I had a chip in my key? My truck is an '03. Comparing my truck key to my 4runner key that I know has the chip in it, it doesnt look like my key has any chip in it. I already had the programming info saved for just an occasion like this, but I didnt think I had a chip in the key to worry about. I may have to call my dealer and see what they say and then give Ed a shout. Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 AM
kevinwilly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a couple of the factory remotes, I think. They came with the keys on the new steering column/igniton that I bought.

I dont have keyless entry (or even power locks).

If you want, I can take a picture of them. They're yours for shipping if they will work for you.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:45 AM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got one off of Ebay when I first got my truck and it has worked fine.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by King0581
How would I know if I had a chip in my key?
PATS keys have a fat plastic body containing the chip. Here's a picture of one with a translucent body so you can see the chip.

Here's a picture of a typical OEM black PATS key.

If your key looks like this, it's not a PATS key.

Stewart

Quick Reply: Lost my keys