Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

3 yrs sitting

Old 12-06-2009, 12:26 PM
xcalvillo1
New User
xcalvillo1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
3 yrs sitting

I have a 96 F-150 EB 5.0 that has sat for about 3 yrs and I don't know what else to do as far as maintenance. Its up and running but I want to make sure I dont miss anything. I have done plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil change and filter, and coolant. As far as transmission fluid it looks good and brake fluid as well. should i still change those out? also, looking in the maintenance manual it also says to change the gear oil in the rear end. I have no clue how to go about that. Should i also change out the fuel filter even though it was changed before it sat. My deployments kept me from doing what i wanted to do with the vehicle.Thanks and Semper Fi

Old 12-06-2009, 12:32 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Thanks for your service shipmate. I would change any and all liquids and lubes in your truck. You'll have to remove the rear diff cover to dump the gear oil. After replacing the diff cover, you remove the screw in plug from the driverside top of the pumpkin. Check your owners manual of consult someone who knows to make sure you replace the old oil with the correct oil.

Tim

Old 12-06-2009, 12:33 PM
zxwut?
Posting Guru
zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.
Flush all the fluids, new thermostat, pcv valve, filters, flush gas tanks.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:38 PM
xcalvillo1
New User
thanks ill have to get on all that stuff

Old 12-06-2009, 01:18 PM
doug6644
Freshman User
doug6644 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just a little advice, remove the plug from the rearend BEFORE removing the cover. If it won't come out, you don't want to drain the fluid until you can be sure you'll be able to refill it.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 PM
xcalvillo1
New User
got it thx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.