Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

what trans is better

Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
Hitokori is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Red face what trans is better

ok i am kinda at a cross road here i originally thaught that the zf trans will be a cheaper upgrade to get over drive because for 1200 dollars i can get every thing i need to put it in with the trans.... but the AOD has a lower OD its like .67 and the zf's is like .76 so the AOD would be more economical, and easyer to install. TCI Auto 438905 - TCI Pro Super Transmission Overhaul Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com that is sappose to be a rebuild kit and shift kit. Think its any good? and if i go with the aod are they electronic kick down or mechanical (having the cable from the trottle body to the transmission) because my truck has the mechanical. and what stall torque converter would be the best? uhm... oh and my truck is 2wd so no offroading it that makes a difference i think.. i know my cross member has c6/aod/m5 on is so would i have to get another driveshaft aswell? and how much does the aod normally run in price and how strong are they lol the highest amount of hp that i will have behind it will be a 347 stroker in about a year so if the aod wont hold 330hp or so i will be able to upgrade it then. i think thats all my questions if i have more ill be back tomorrow

Old 12-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Pickupmanx2
Postmaster
Pickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to behold
Phew!!! Ok, are you looking for cheap, or better OD ratio? Is your truck currently an AUTO or MANUAL trans? The more info you give us, then we are more apt to help you when we have a better idea of what you
A) Already have, year/drive/engine/tranny
B) What is your ultimate goal ie; best OD ratio, easiest/cheapest install, least amount of fab work, or what you have laying around and want to use.

Joe

Originally Posted by Hitokori View Post
ok i am kinda at a cross road here i originally thaught that the zf trans will be a cheaper upgrade to get over drive because for 1200 dollars i can get every thing i need to put it in with the trans.... but the AOD has a lower OD its like .67 and the zf's is like .76 so the AOD would be more economical, and easyer to install. TCI Auto 438905 - TCI Pro Super Transmission Overhaul Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com that is sappose to be a rebuild kit and shift kit. Think its any good? and if i go with the aod are they electronic kick down or mechanical (having the cable from the trottle body to the transmission) because my truck has the mechanical. and what stall torque converter would be the best? uhm... oh and my truck is 2wd so no offroading it that makes a difference i think.. i know my cross member has c6/aod/m5 on is so would i have to get another driveshaft aswell? and how much does the aod normally run in price and how strong are they lol the highest amount of hp that i will have behind it will be a 347 stroker in about a year so if the aod wont hold 330hp or so i will be able to upgrade it then. i think thats all my questions if i have more ill be back tomorrow

Old 12-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
The AOD can be built to handle just about any power level and a late model trans in stock form is more than capable of handling a 302 or 351 with as little as a shift kit, but if milage is your goal you don't want a high stall non lockup converter you want a stock style TC. The TV cable is not a kickdown cable either it modulates line pressure in the trans based on throttle position so it has to be connected and setup correctly, but that's not hard to do either. With a performance motor in your future you may want to look at buying a built transmission or building it yourself if you have the tools and skills, this place Ford-AOD.com the ultimate AOD Transmission Perfromance Website is a good source for all things AOD.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
ok my truck is an 88 302 automatic.... and i want the better transmission with OD rebuilding the AOD isnt a problem coz i have rebuilt like 3 chevys in the past and the way i figured the zf instal is going to cost me a little more than 1200... plus lots of work because for some reason my truck doesnt have the cut out on the trans tunnel.... must be rare or somthing lol and the automatic i can build and put in with not much work or modifing so what stall converter would be the best and how exactly does it work ive looked all over and cant find any clear meaning i have a race car but its dirt track and i use manual trans in it lol so i dont know much about performance automatics.... i can get the trans at a junkyard for like 200-300 depending on the tail shaft length.... how long does it have to be 10.25 or 11.25 inches? or does it matter?

Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
im not going to be doing any towing with this truck and soon after i swap for the newer front clip in trashing the rear bumper for a roll pan or a bumper off a bronco... im going for a dayly driver that i can still have fun with so im guessing that a 2000-2400 stall converter would be the best? or am i wrong and im still kinda unclear on how they work