Sponsored by: DP Tuner

muffler delete and more?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:47 PM
jasonch
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
muffler delete and more?

i did the muffler delete way back this year, should i have cut the cat off of there when i done it, it did not seem to make a difference. i was wondering i thought i read that i should of in another thread.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:56 PM
joegebff
Gone Fishin for Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have removed the CAT also.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 PM
jasonch
Senior User
there is not any sensor plug in there are there? I think I will have to call the muffler shop and have this done, they will probably make me cut the cat off before i bring it up there. There should not be any problems doing that, should not tear anything up, right?(driving it with the cat off and the exhaust that short)

Old 12-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by jasonch
there is not any sensor plug in there are there? I think I will have to call the muffler shop and have this done, they will probably make me cut the cat off before i bring it up there. There should not be any problems doing that, should not tear anything up, right?(driving it with the cat off and the exhaust that short)
No sensor. Only problem I can see is if your state has emissions laws.

Some states require a cat. Well...they require visual inspection of a cat...doesn't mean you can't gut it and slide some exhaust pipe through the center of it.

Why would a muffler shop want you to cut stuff apart before you bring it there? doesn't that negate the purpose of taking it to the muffler shop?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:07 PM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Smokin'

Why would a muffler shop want you to cut stuff apart before you bring it there? doesn't that negate the purpose of taking it to the muffler shop?
My first thought as well.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:31 PM
nrskel78
Freshman User
some states make it illegal for a muffler shop to cut off a cat converter without replacing it with a new one. if you bring a vehicle in with it already missing they can do whatever you want but you still have to deal with your inspection station if your state requires them

Old 12-03-2009, 10:35 PM
nrskel78
Freshman User
shouldnt hurt driving it to the shop with the exhaust off of it. once drove a 79 f150 with open headers 12 miles to the exhaust shop. other than thinking i went deaf before i got there it didnt hurt the truck

Old 12-04-2009, 05:52 AM
jasonch
Senior User
Originally Posted by nrskel78
some states make it illegal for a muffler shop to cut off a cat converter without replacing it with a new one. if you bring a vehicle in with it already missing they can do whatever you want but you still have to deal with your inspection station if your state requires them
the case where i live. they will not cut a cat off.

thanks fellas!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by jasonch
i did the muffler delete way back this year, should i have cut the cat off of there when i done it, it did not seem to make a difference. i was wondering i thought i read that i should of in another thread.
I also did the muffler delete a week or so ago, didn't seem to make much of a difference. The shop Here in Florida would not remove he cat! he wouldn't even sell me a piece of pipe to replace the cat with myself.
I drove it few days, and just took the cat off and knocked the ceramic out myself. now it looks stock. but what a difference it made.... Sounds great, you can really hear the turbo whistel. Sounds tuff at idle too.
At highway speeds the cab is just as quiet as stock...unless the windows are down and your next to a jersey wall.
Good luck, you will love the sound.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:24 AM
jasonch
Senior User
thanks, i dont know why i didnt do it sooner. i think i am going to napa to buy some exhaust hose, am gonna try and do it myself.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:33 AM
hardknox00001
Junior User
Originally Posted by Franko72
I also did the muffler delete a week or so ago, didn't seem to make much of a difference. The shop Here in Florida would not remove he cat! he wouldn't even sell me a piece of pipe to replace the cat with myself.
I drove it few days, and just took the cat off and knocked the ceramic out myself. now it looks stock. but what a difference it made.... Sounds great, you can really hear the turbo whistel. Sounds tuff at idle too.
At highway speeds the cab is just as quiet as stock...unless the windows are down and your next to a jersey wall.
Good luck, you will love the sound.
How hard is it to gut the cat as described here?

Old 12-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by hardknox00001
How hard is it to gut the cat as described here?
Not hard at all, Just take out the front two bolts holdind the front of the cat on, and the rear is a reg muffler clamp. Having a torch to heat up the flange where the clamp was came in real handy....once its off just stand it up on end, stick a crow bar down in the cat and use a hammer to knock the ceramic out. once you get a hole all the way through the ceramic it starts coming out in chunks.
You will love the sound, and your top end will have more giddy up!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:21 PM
jasonch
Senior User
mine will be coming off next week, hope it sounds good.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:32 PM
itsjustdan26
Elder User
I dont have a CAT on mine. I have the Fed Emissions. So doin a muffler delete, would it sound different?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by itsjustdan26
I dont have a CAT on mine. I have the Fed Emissions. So doin a muffler delete, would it sound different?
Asolutely...the cat will hush the sound more than the stock muffler.
My truck was still quiter after the muffler delete (cat still on) than my Buddies 01 F350 with stock muffler and no cat.
After hearing mine without the cat, he's doing a muffler delete himself.