1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing a Vibration in my Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:18 AM
GregN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chasing a Vibration in my Excursion

I know this is the wrong forum, but I posted this in the Excursion forum with no reply. Since the Ex has the same chassis as the Super Duty, I figured that I would re-post over in this forum.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...in-the-ex.html

Well, I bought this Ex a little over a month ago and finally got around to replacing some stuff.

I have a slight vibration between 50 and 60 MPH. The vibration is the same weather I am accelerating, in Neutral, Coasting down (well, a little bit worse when coasting down), in 2WD, in 4WD, turning, going straight, hot or cold.

I have replaced the following:

Rear Driveshaft U-Joints
Tires and Rims
Upper and Lower Ball Joints
Wheel Bearings
Steering Stabilizer
Cleaned and Greased the Hubs
Greased everything greasable up front

I still have the exact same vibration as when I started. I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel as well as in the body of the vehicle. I am thinking that it may be in the steering linkage. If there is a loose joint then the wheels would be allowed to jiggle a little bit. I am at a loss. What else should I check?

Also, When doing the ball joints, I noticed that the tie rod ends were quite stiff. How stiff should these be? I can't move them by hand, but they will move a little bit when moving the free end of the tie rod.

Any help will be much appreciated. I am taking it in for an alignment on Friday, and if I can't figure this vibration out, I might have them take a quick look into it.

Would a stuck slide pin in the front brakes do this? Both sides on my truck are siezed at the current moment.

Thanks in advance,

Greg <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

Old 12-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
The brakes shouldn't cause it unless your rotors are badly warped. Also if this were the case you'd likely be feeling it below 50 MPH.

Do you have manual or auto hubs? Are you sure they are unlocking when you are in 2WD?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:20 AM
GregN
Senior User
Yeah, I thought the same thing with the brakes. I do need to fix that issue anyways.

I have the Manual/Auto stock Ford Hubs with ESOF. Yes, they are unlocked. I have checked it by hand before driving. I have also tried shifting into 4WD while moving at 55 mph to see if it made any difference at all...Nope. I have also locked them in by hand then taken a test drive. No luck.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Okay, that's what I figured.

My best guess would be an alignment or steering linkage issue. I'd have the alignment shop check it out and see what they think.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:29 AM
GregN
Senior User
Crazy001-

Thank you for the reply. You have just confirmed my suspicions. I will just have to bite the bullet and let someone else troubleshoot my truck. I hate when I can't pinpoint an issue, but I hate throwing parts at a problem with no results even more. Money is tight right now, so it would probably just be better for a pro to do it.

Thanks again.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:05 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anxious to see results, my truck has lots of odd vibration, but with my front end having all those issues I havent even thought about looking somewhere else on the truck. Perhaps its a rear axle bearing? Sounds like the one place you havent looked.

Also, could be a broken belt in the tire. Just because they are new doesnt mean theyre good

Old 12-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Good thought, but if he's feeling it through the steering wheel I doubt it's coming from the rear end. And you're right that tires can be defective from the factory, but he implied that this was present before he changed tires.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:52 PM
GregN
Senior User
Yes, this same vibration was there with the last set of tires, I rotated those tires and still had the vibration. I then put on a set of rims and tires from my 1999 F250 that had 30 to 40K miles on them and still have the same vibration.

I am ruling out tires and rims at this point.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Downriver Thunder
Posting Guru
I had a vibration similar to yours in my old 00 X. Ended up being a bad torque convertor.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:36 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
I wouldn't think he'd experience the vibration when he's in neutral if it was the torque converter.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
spinella
Postmaster
does the ex have a one or two piece driveshaft? some have shimmed there carrier bearings with 1/4" or 1/2" washers. just a thought, again i'm not sure what kind of driveshaft you have. did you also try turning your driveshaft 180 degrees?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 PM
joe chevy
Elder User
could he safely jack up rear put jackstands under axle
and give it a whirl
possibly narrowing down a bit
like maybe to what spinela is getting at

Old 12-01-2009, 06:01 PM
spinella
Postmaster
i just went back and checked out the thread the op posted. i see that there is no carrier bearing. man that must be a big one piece driveshaft. i would still try rotating the shaft 180 degrees. post back with your results.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 PM
be250
Tuned
hi, what about the spindle bearings [ inside the spindles ]?? you replaced the front wheel bearings ? have you cked the power steering fluid? barry

Old 12-01-2009, 08:50 PM
GregN
Senior User
I have pretty much ruled the driveshafts out. I removed the rear driveshaft and took it for a quick spin in 4WD (using the front Axle to pull the truck). Same vibration.

I don't have spindles since it is a 4WD. The front wheel bearings are unit bearings that bolt onto the knuckle. I have checked that I have power steering fluid, but I haven't changed it yet.

Well, I think I have found the issue. While I was under the truck checking the Engine and Tranny mounts (Which are still good by the way) I had my girlfriend move the steering wheel back and forth. It looks like I have a bad tie rod end. The end that is on the Tie Rod connecting the drag link to the tie rod. When it moves back and forth there is some left to right and up and down movement (about 3/16"). I will order these parts put them on and have an alignment done. Hopefully I will have some final results by next week.

Thanks for all the replies and the help.

Greg

Quick Reply: Chasing a Vibration in my Excursion