1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48-52 Reverse Hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Jeff Olsen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48-52 Reverse Hood

Hello everyone. I am a newbie on posting but have been a member of the site for sometime.
My question is in regards to reverse tilt hoods for the 48-52. Has anyone done this on the site successfully? I have seen the kits online for sale but not specifically for my year of truck. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
HI JEFF!

Welcome to FTE!

Has anyone ever done this....You mean THIS????

Name:  C Outside View April 2009 1.jpg
Views: 3717
Size:  75.1 KB

No, why?

Ok I'm just being a smart butt.

I have done it, I have tons of pictures, and a MS Word write up on how it was done and lessons learned.

You don't have enough posts to send PMs yet (you need 25) so write me an e-mail at babbiebuddie@***.net and I'll send you the whole kit and kaboodle!

PS It's all the original steel btw.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:20 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Jeff.
I have never seen a reverse open kit for the 48-52 Ford truck hoods, and if you did, I think you'd have some fundamental problems with them. Unlike the later trucks, the early effies have a very narrow hood front, and the hood is set well back of the header panel. This would have serious stability issues with a narrow hinge in the front, and a whole bunch of weight up top trying to tip over, one way or the other. Problem number two would be devising a hinge that would lift up the front and carry the hood over, and in front of, the header panel. All while trying to keep the hood from tipping over sideways. A difficult proposition, at best.
After typing all this and thinking about it, I suppose it may be possible to incorporate the header into the hinge design, attach it to the hood and build a structure underneath to support the whole deal off the fenders. But it's late, and now I'll have to sleep on this. Hmmmm, I may be on to something. ;-)

Old 11-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Jeff Olsen
Junior User
Julie,

That is way more than I was thinking. Pretty cool though and I am interested in how you got that accomplished. I will be emailing for more info.

Wayne,
Great points that I did not think of. The kit I saw was from Sac Vintage. Right now it was a thought because I like the look of the hood tilt, but your point of clearing the header is a good one on our year of trucks.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:11 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts

Is this more in line of what you are asking, it's just a picture I got off the net and not sure how much different it is to the ones used on the 53-56's but the picture proves it has been done.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Jeff Olsen
Junior User
Exactly....... thats what I would like to do.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:57 PM
jmerson
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tilt hood

Jeff,
The latest catalog from Sacramento Ford has a kit for the '48 and up Pickups. I live about 40 minutes from them and know one of the counter guys fairly well if you need any information I would be glad to get it for you. I also am redoing a '48 and have thought about doing a tilt hood but until now there haven't been any kits on the market. Last week I bought a '54 F 100 with a tilt hood and it seems to work smooth. It's listed in the Dec. issue of Cruising News for N. California.I go up to Sac a lot so don't be afraid to ask if there is anything you want to check on.
Jim

Old 11-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Jeff Olsen
Junior User
Jim,

If you are in the area and think of it I would appreciate knowing what they think of their kit (Honestly). I figure over the phone not knowing anyone they would give the standard anwsers. Again thanks for the offer.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:06 PM
jmerson
Senior User

Tilt hood

Jeff,
I'll give James a call tomorrow and see if I can get names of any or all of the orders they have shipped. I don't even know James' last name but I've been buying from him for about 5 years or longer. I bought an AirRide system from him and when they changed models a few years later he was able to get me an upgrade. He has been working all through his college years. He finally graduated and now can't find an engineering job so is still working there. I was just up there about two weeks ago to show him a '54 F-100 I picked up at a GoodGuys show in November. If you ever do contact them ask for James and mention my name.
Jim Emerson
Stockton,CA

Old 12-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Jeff,

Jim is having log on problems and wants you to contact him. You are not set up to recieve e-mails and don't have enough posts for Private Messages yet. So if you could write to him please do at:

jmrson@caldsl.net

Old 12-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Jeff Olsen
Junior User
Will do. Thanks Julie.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:56 PM
jmerson
Senior User

Tilt hood

Jeff,
I've been having a hell of a time logging on to this site and I'm not sure why. I had a little brain f--t and hooked up my laptop and was able to get through. Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. Anyway now that Julie was so kind as to relay my messages to you I'll try to get up there Monday or Tuesday for sure and check out the kit. I wanted to be able to give you a call if need be for any information when I'm up there. James is a really good young man. Freshly graduated, newly married and working two jobs until he can land an engineering job. With all of this privacy BS I don't know how much information he can give you about the customers but maybe he can call them and have them get in contace with you.
Well something will be getting done soon.
jim

Old 08-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Newly
New User
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
HI JEFF!

Welcome to FTE!

Has anyone ever done this....You mean THIS????

Attachment 19106

No, why?

Ok I'm just being a smart butt.

I have done it, I have tons of pictures, and a MS Word write up on how it was done and lessons learned.

You don't have enough posts to send PMs yet (you need 25) so write me an e-mail at babbiebuddie@***.net and I'll send you the whole kit and kaboodle!

PS It's all the original steel btw.
This is awesome. I sent a email. Hope you still have the same email address.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Here's mine.

:Happiness - 3 pedals and a 5 speed"

Old 08-03-2014, 07:43 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Newly
This is awesome. I sent a email. Hope you still have the same email address.
Julie is no longer on this site and doubtful that the email works. 48 Steel has a great reverse tilt hood. I did mine a totally different way but it only works on a '51 or a '52 because of the grill.

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: 48-52 Reverse Hood