1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

WTF Part 2!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 AM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
WTF Part 2!!!

My damn death wobble is back. Every piece of rubber in the front end is brand new. I put a steering dampner on it and thought that fixed it but yesterday going 65 on the smooth freeway it happened again. When it happens I can barely brake and steer. The truck bounces so bad it threw everything out of the console! The tires are balanced and up to pressure. What the hell could be causing this?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Lanny Sutton
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How old are your shocks?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:16 AM
TheTowingCowboy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could it be wheel bearings? Cause I know if a wheel bearing is really bad it will wobble really badly at speeds and be hard to control? Or if you put a new one in and didn't align it right, then you also got a problem. But, thats from my knowledge of semi's. I also heard once, that this guy, his rotors were so warped that it made him vibrate go down the highway. But yeah, hope you can get it fixed. Don't need ya dead.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 PM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
It's not all the time. The brakes look great. The shocks are old I'm sure but the severity of this couldnt be the shocks. I cant describe how bad it is. I lose all control. All I can do is try to keep the truck straight and gently apply the brakes. It would bounce you out the window if you didnt have your seatbelt on!

Old 11-23-2009, 01:56 PM
triskadek
Senior User
do you get wobble if you jack up the front end and move em by hand?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:25 PM
tbone heller
Senior User
I have fixed many of them with a set of new shocks when I was the front end guy at the Ford dealer. I have driven some that were down-right scary.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:18 PM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
No wobble if jacked up. T Bone...You really think bad shocks could make it jump around this bad?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:22 PM
1976F250HiBoy
Senior User
wow, shakes so bad it empties the console? holy **** I think id certainly leaver parked till i found out what was going on. I apologize im no help on this one.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:38 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

I know what you are talking about death wobble describes it perfectly lol my truck did the same thing I chased it for weeks changing front end parts shocks ended up being my BFG,s I put new ones on the front and it went away also got beads put in the tires for balancing instead of the regular tire weights that usually fly off over time.

I agree with hiboy park it till you find out what it is.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:52 PM
tbone heller
Senior User
Originally Posted by bleeds blue
No wobble if jacked up. T Bone...You really think bad shocks could make it jump around this bad?

If the shocks are old, replace them. They don't cost that much & most come with a lifetime guarantee. If it is not the shocks, it could be the tires. You can try rotating them & see what happens.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:32 AM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
Good gravy. You know how much tires are!!! I have the 35 BFG all terrains. If it was the tires wouldnt it do this all the time. It's a once in a while thing. Not constant.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:54 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
I know you said that you replaced all the rubber in the front end. But i had this exact same problem with my truck, and it was just as bad as you described it. It ended up being the track arm bushing were all worn out, so i replaced em with poly ones and havent had the shake since. Maybe you over looked one?

Old 11-25-2009, 04:33 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Good gravy. You know how much tires are!!! I have the 35 BFG all terrains. If it was the tires wouldn't it do this all the time. It's a once in a while thing. Not constant.
No It wouldn,t do it all the time only at certain speeds good gravy if you can,t afford tires for your truck than you shouldn't,t be driving it ,tires are a maintenance thing sooner or later your gonna have to buy new ones what you gonna do then LOL

I was letting you know what my problem was with the exact same symptoms several of my friends experienced the same thing too with BFG,s

Sorry for my Input LOL.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:13 AM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
No I know tires are maintenance but they have over half the tread left. They arent something I can just splurge on right before Christmas. I'm a poor gov worker! I have to save up for a couple months before I can buy them. I do appreciate the input though

Old 11-26-2009, 05:14 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

No I know tires are maintenance but they have over half the tread left. They arent something I can just splurge on right before Christmas. I'm a poor gov worker! I have to save up for a couple months before I can buy them. I do appreciate the input though
I apologize I didn,t mean to be an *** I was having a bad day yesterday worked in the rain all day I can,t believe it is the end of Nov. and it is raining.

You said you changed everything in the front end ,Tie rods too?

My friend at work had the death wobble so bad that I could see the front tires moving back and fourth driving behind him it also was his tires BFG,s It seems to happen when the tread gets down on the tire I have seen this several times now.

As suggested before try and rotate your tires that's free

Quick Reply: WTF Part 2!!!