1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Ignition key does not turn

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:00 PM
TexFinn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alloro
Not bad at all. It sounds like you found an honest locksmith that didn't take advantage of you.
Small, family run business. Been using their services for years. Not that I go make keys every month, or something, but still.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 AM
aficionado74
New User
This worked for me.

Try the following after making sure first that the issue isn't just a locked wheel, or the car not fully being in park.

In my case, the pin for the lock release in the lock tumbler was stuck. Simple fix - get a heavy duty paper clip, straighten it out. Now carefully feel both top and bottom pins from front to back and back to front of the key slot. One of the pins is stuck. Just passing over them can unstick them. All the pins should move freely, one will even set off the buzzer for key in the ignition as you pass over it. After a few minutes of trying this, ignition should be unlocked. In my case, I felt it jump back into place. This was after leaving the truck (1997 Ford Expedition) in a shopping center lot over night because I couldn't turn the darn key. I was minutes away from calling a tow truck.

This is worth trying and can save you big $$$.

Originally Posted by TexFinn
Okay... The ignition key on my wife's Expedition is not turning at all.

You can insert it just fine and the chime comes on and the seat moves to the memory position etc. etc., but you can not turn the key at all. The steering wheel is locked and the shifter is in P. I've tried wiggling the key and the steering wheel simultaneously, but so far not luck. Kind of hard to turn the steering wheel anyway.

I did some searching but didn't really come up with any threads with similar problem, hence this thread. Any links, info etc. is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2015, 01:15 PM
ducks in a row
New User
Key not returning after starting or not turning at all

Hi I had a similar problem with my '03 EB Expedition and tried multiple things to try and fix the issue. nothing worked and finally had trouble turning the key and removing it or inserting it. I found that the cap over the key cylinder was cocking every time I inserted or removed the key.If this cap cocked you could not turn the key until you pressed it in.also noticed when you removed the key the seat would not return to the easy out position and the truck would ding like the key was in but not turned or started.The fix was to replace the lock cylinder altogether my truck is equipped with a PATs anti theft system. Pretty simple, and I took some notes after completing the job. Mine took a Dorman 924-710 ignition lock cylinder I think it was about $93.00.
1. remove the 2 Phillips screws holding the lower shroud around the steering column
2. remove the shroud it took a bit of work setting the tilt all the way up helped, but it will come off.
3. remove the 7/32 hex head screw holding the PATs antenna from around the key cylinder
4. insert the key into the cylinder lock and turn to the run position.
5. find the small hole on the bottom of the lock assm. and depress clip with a small tip screw driver or pick and wiggle the lock and key out of the column.
6. the Dorman kit comes with a tool to help remove the tumbler section, new springs and tumbler pins and gives direction on how to rekey the lock cylinder for your old key there are videos on line that show you how to do this not too hard, just take your time.
7. reinsert the new tumbler back into the cylinder make sure you key works and install all back in the reverse order.
as a note my old assembly had 1 tumbler location that did not match the new lock so it took a little trial and error to get the key working but all you need came with the kit.

Good luck

Old 02-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shorebird
Will the key unlock the door manually? If the key is worn out and will not work the ignition switch you can go to a dealer and using the vin number get a service key cut. Be prepared to prove that you own the truck with registration, picture ID. That key will allow you to get the vehicle steering unlocked. Tow it to the dealer and get a new pats key made and programed. Then get some spares made so that you always have a good key.
If the key is worn out and you get a service key cut, you can start that vehicle with that. Just tape the old key to the new service key, and the chip should be close enough to get read by the PATS and allow the engine to start. If not, snip of the key blade of the old key, and tape it closer. It should work..

Old 02-08-2015, 09:09 PM
ducks in a row
New User
thanks but it was definitely the ignition key switch that was bad on mine the key worked fine in the doors. once I swapped out the cylinder all was good.