1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

**UPDATE** Pulse Vacuum Hubs and vacuum solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 03:57 PM
John TN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**UPDATE** Pulse Vacuum Hubs and vacuum solenoid?

Howdy folks,,, new to the forum here and my first post looks like a good crowd here. I searched for some answers to my problem with my truck but have not found what I'm looking for so if there's an answer already don't flame me too hard!!

I have a 98 model B-4000, I'm having trouble with the 4wd,,, the transfer case works properly, shift on the fly shows both High and Low working, the transfer case will engage both ranges (Hi/Low) the drive shafts are turning, the CV joints are turning, and no fwd pull,, the hubs are apparently not locking in. That said I've turned to tracing the vacuum system,, there is vacuum to the vacuum solenoid located at the right fender area, but there is no vacuum coming out of the solenoid to the vacuum hose's going to the wheel hubs, this condition was determined in 4wd mode both Hi and Low range.

I would like to know if/how you can test the vacuum solenoid with a multi meter and also I have discovered that apparently the solenoid is also used in some ford vechicles as a emission vacuum solenoid as well.

Advance Auto Parts has a solenoid almost identical that's a EGR vacuum solenoid part number EGR3001,, I don't have a clue if it would work, but it's half the cost of the Ford OEM, I have full battery voltage at the middle wire at the plug in harness to the vacuum solenoid and no voltage to the prongs on either side.

Any help would be appreciated,, I hate to spend money to replace a good part, I hate to just replace a part just to see if it's bad, and I'm fairly sure this solenoid might be the problem or the electrical to the solenoid that's the problem,,, thanks again for any help.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:22 PM
pgw85706
Elder User
I have a diagnostics document for the PVH and electronics. If you PM me with your email address I will send over the doc.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:05 PM
John TN
New User
After getting the diagnostic sheets and doing a few checks it appears my vacuum solenoid may be bad,, $80.00 to replace and lock out hubs were $159.00+ shipping I was leaning towards the manual hubs. I did some more searching here and I found a tech article by Mark and decided to use his fix to make the OEM hubs to manual operation or PVH operation should one get lucky and it work properly.

Adding Manual Control to your 1998-2000 Ford Ranger Pulse Vacuum Hubs .: Articles

The fix was easy and took very little time,, my hubs were very clean after 130k+, the fix worked perfect, you can actually lock them faster this way than you can a manual hub. I decided to try and come up with some kind of filter or cover since you have to remove the vent screen in the OEM hub end and there is no filter after the removal. I don't think it's really necessary to use a filter as Mark has had no trouble, and the rubber diaphram seals tight when in 4wd mode, but I always figure an ounce of prevention can't hurt.

I ended up using a beer koolzy,, not a perfect fix but better than nothing,,, I used a 2-3/8" holesaw on the hub caps,,,, I also will search McMaster Carr and see if I can find a rubber end cap to fit the hub cap, that along with the sock filter would work well if you did serious mud running, or lots of mud bogging or trail riding.

Thanks Mark for taking the time to figure out this very simple fix and the fast responses to my email questions, I do not know your user name here but thanks again,, it only cost me two beer sleeves, two tie wraps, and about 20 minutes of my time so far, nice to have my 4wd working again when I want it to.

Pics of my sock filter proto type 1.