Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 02:00 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise control question

I've had my 92 F-150 since 2004, and I've never used the cruise control. the only reason whyis, I don't know if it even works, and fear what might happen if it doesn't work. What would happen? will it kill the engine, speed way up, or nothing? It's probably and infounded fear, but I'd hate to break something and get stuck on the side of the road? Any thoughts on this would be great.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:34 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
They either work or they don't. Push the Set button, if it works: great. If it won't hold speed, that means it doesn't work. I've never seen a faulty cruise control take over control. There's always a first time....

Old 11-20-2009, 06:47 PM
HrdDrv
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My cruise control is directly connected to my wife's nervouse system. I turn it on and sit back and relax my clutch/gas legs, she complains I'm following too close.
When I don't use it, she complains I'm using too much gas.

I can't wait to get her home and her. Then grab a Then her again.

Hmmm. Honey! Lets go fer a ride!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:00 AM
greenmachinejohn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has your truck been in for the recall?

Old 11-21-2009, 02:16 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
I have no idea about any recall. I got the truck as inheritance when my dad died, and he bought it used. So I don't know the history of it.
I'm just wondering what to expect if I set it for the first time, and it doesn't work.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:52 PM
greenmachinejohn
Senior User
well if you do not have the recall done the truck may catch fire if you use the cruise or not. you should take your truck to the nearest Ford dealership. the recall is 05s28. I worked at 2 Ford dealers and installed over a 1,000 of these. takes at most 5 mins to install. I recommend you do this soon.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:02 PM
jplinville
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by greenmachinejohn
well if you do not have the recall done the truck may catch fire if you use the cruise or not. you should take your truck to the nearest Ford dealership. the recall is 05s28. I worked at 2 Ford dealers and installed over a 1,000 of these. takes at most 5 mins to install. I recommend you do this soon.
What model years does this involve?

Old 11-21-2009, 08:14 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jplinville
What model years does this involve?
Just give them your VIN, and they'll tell you if yours is affected.

http://www.ford.com/owner-services/c...ll-information You can also just go to that website and enter your VIN. It will give you all the recalls you should have done.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:15 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
I'll have to check my VIN in the morning, then go to the website. Will Ford still fix any recalled things on a 92?

Old 11-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Mr. Finch
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I am thinking of the same recal then all you have to do is look under the hood, find you brake master cylinder, and at the end there should be a switch, if you had the recal, then you will see a small jumper harness (with a fuse) conected to that switch and then to the main wiring harness. If you do not have this, then either your truck is not affected, or not updated.
If you are using cruise on a car you are not sure of, the procedure we would use at the dealer,
1) drive at highway speed and set cruise (remember to turn it on first) if it maintanes speed move to step 2 if it does not then check fuses and try again
2) With cruise engaged, push the "off" buton, vehicle should decelerate. If it does not, then step on the clutch, or put vehicle trans in nuetral and turn off ignition, then you can either restart the vehicle, or pull off to the side and restart.

3) with cruise engaged, tap brake pedal, car should start to decelerate, if it does, then do the same with the clutch pedal (if you have one) This makes sure the brake and clutch kill switches are working.

IFF THE "OFF" BUTTON OR THE KILL SWITCH(S) DO NOT WORK, THEN DO NOT USE UNTIL VEHICLE IS SERVICED! ! ! !

4) With cruise engaged, push and hold accel button for a few seconds, vehicle should accelerate, and then maintane speed after button is released. Then push decel buton for a few seconds, vehicle shouled decelerate and then maintane speed when buton is released.

If it passes ALL these tests, and has the recall (if applicable) then you will be good to go.

P.S. This is the same test I performed on all the new FORD vehicles we recieved at my former dealership.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Sportruk
Senior User
The recall is for the '93 and up with electronic Speed Control. The '92 has the older style vacuum controlled Speed Control.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:00 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Sportruk
The recall is for the '93 and up with electronic Speed Control. The '92 has the older style vacuum controlled Speed Control.
This is almost correct-I believe. I think that the fire/smoke, "burn-the-house-down" type CC started in the 94 year for our trucks. You can tell if the truck has the fire/smoke type CC-if there is a two wire switch mounted vertically in the front top of the master brake cylinder.

Did Ford ever develop a effective modification for this CC problem? I thought that I read that the first fix didnt work??

My 92 has the old fashion "fireproof" cruise control. No smoke with the old fashion type CC . I kind of like the old fashion type--when I think about it.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM
94XLTFLAREI6
Senior User
Hey, good luck with the CC... hope it workd for ya.
I am fond of using mine on the highway.. I'll turn it off on hills though...
I've had to replace my clockspring TWICE in the 11 years I've owned it, has had the recall fix too.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Sportruk
Senior User
Originally Posted by phoneman91
This is almost correct-I believe. I think that the fire/smoke, "burn-the-house-down" type CC started in the 94 year for our trucks. You can tell if the truck has the fire/smoke type CC-if there is a two wire switch mounted vertically in the front top of the master brake cylinder.
Nope, the recall was for '93 as well. The switch you see mounted on the master cylinder on the '94-up, is mounted on the distribution block down on the frame on the '93.
Ford screwed up on the '93 recall. The fuse on the harness that was added as part of the recall, was on the wrong wire. They had to recall the '93 model again to correct the first recall.

The first recall for the F150 was for the 2000 model. The switch was replaced with the new style switch and a short harness was used to fit the old style plug to the new switch.
When they realized they would have to replace millions of switches, they opted for the cheaper route and only installed a new jumper harness with a low amperage fuse in the power wire. The switch would only be replaced if they seen evidence of the switch leaking brake fluid, which would indicate the brake fluid has gotten into the contact area of the switch and could at any time, catch fire.
If at a later date, the switch fails and blows the fuse, it will be up to the owner to foot the bill for a new switch.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:57 AM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
This is confusing. I checked on the internet and see this:

http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/ford/ford_f150.htm

I see some websites that state this trouble started in the 1993My F150 and others state the 1994MY F150. And I see where later than the 2002MY F150s also had this problem. How many F150 recalls have there been concerning this CC switch?? And exactly what MY F150 and models are involved??

Quick Reply: Cruise control question