1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Do I need to remove the fan to remove the crank pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:28 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do I need to remove the fan to remove the crank pulley?

OK, this is the third new post I've started in relation to my crappy day yesterday. Long story short- last time I replaced my crank damper / pulley, I removed the fan because (a) I had the right tools at hand, and (b) that's what my Haynes manual said to do. However, seeing as how I'm now trying to replace my crank pulley in a friggin parking lot, do I really need to take out the fan, or can I install the pulley puller, pull the pulley, then re-install everything WITHOUT having to pull the fan? Because if I MUST pull the fan, that means I can either try to get the tool from Kragen, or I gotta wait till noon to do it, and that's gonna totally screw up my day. Thanks again guys for the help.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:12 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny I think you need to remove the fan to get that pulley off, Sorry! I thought your PS pump was bad?
Just saw your other post,DAMN what luck!

Old 11-20-2009, 08:00 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Originally Posted by mongo75
OK, this is the third new post I've started in relation to my crappy day yesterday. Long story short- last time I replaced my crank damper / pulley, I removed the fan because (a) I had the right tools at hand, and (b) that's what my Haynes manual said to do. However, seeing as how I'm now trying to replace my crank pulley in a friggin parking lot, do I really need to take out the fan, or can I install the pulley puller, pull the pulley, then re-install everything WITHOUT having to pull the fan? Because if I MUST pull the fan, that means I can either try to get the tool from Kragen, or I gotta wait till noon to do it, and that's gonna totally screw up my day. Thanks again guys for the help.
I have never seen one of these go bad.Damn the bad luck and those things are high dollar I see....Good luck to ya!

Old 11-20-2009, 08:44 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
I'll take a look again but you may be right Costa, but I hope not, that's just an extra 20 minutes of work hehe... And Barry, if you go with the nice Fluidamper, yeah that'll run you $400. But the stock replacement from Ford (I'm not buying another NAPA one, probably made in China, and the reason this one failed) should be about $120-$140. Not cheap, but cheaper than the 2 trannys I've replaced so far!!

Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
I had to drive an hour each way to get the damn part, but once I got the truck to the hobby shop, I had the shround, fan, and dampner off and back on in about 30 minutes ir less. Costs $165, but at least I know it's not the same cheap chinese junk I was forced to buy last time!!

Old 11-21-2009, 12:39 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Wow, that was quick!! Glad you got her fixed up and hopefully that will be the last time that happens!

Old 11-21-2009, 02:36 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Thanks Costa, and I love when you reply to my posts, 'cause I love seeing your avatar!!!