very pathetic 460

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 PM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
I didn't choose any of the parts the machineist did. Maybe i am 500 hp and the old wore out dodge is 900 but I doubt that. I don't have the time to totally redo this project. The truck is a 1978 F-250 4x4 rebuilt dana 60 rear with 4.10:1 gears detroit 35 spline no spin locker, 35 spline chromemoly shafts, drilled axle tubes, new bearings, new brakes, new slave cylinders, the front is a dana 60 hi pinion with 4.10:1 gears, new calipers, new brakes, new wheel bearings, new tie rods, new shocks, a 4 inch superlift lift kit, a layton flatbed, a c6 auto with 5 disc drums, a shift kit, 4 pin planets, a 4140 hardened input shaft, and a furnace brazed torque converter with 2000 rpm stall and the right manifolds that clear the frame (they ARE car manifolds, but they will clear the frame.) that is a misconception I've read on here about repowering a truck with a 460. I know what is in the rest of the truck because I built the entire thing and it works very well, the only thing it lacks is the engine. I put a brand new big 4 core radiator in the truck and built the whole thing but I found another dodge 12 valve I think I would rather have

Last edited by monsterbaby; 11-24-2009 at 05:30 AM. Reason: removing attempt at selling.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:06 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
I'd be a little more than concerned about hauling much weight on a 60 rear that has it's spindles bored. I have seen ones that werent even bored break there.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:31 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I see my reasons for not helping people anymore holds true.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Kiwi Petrol Head
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Rob - don't be put off by someone who is disappointed by a lack of knowledge/planning or research. Hell, i spent months lurking about this site and others before making a decision on my build. You were one of the people who helped the most. So a belated thanks for sharing your hard earned knowledge. It is much appreciated - By a **** load more people than just myself too, i'm sure. Cheers. Kiwi.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Ronzi
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kiwi Petrol Head
Hi Rob - don't be put off by someone who is disappointed by a lack of knowledge/planning or research. Hell, i spent months lurking about this site and others before making a decision on my build. You were one of the people who helped the most. So a belated thanks for sharing your hard earned knowledge. It is much appreciated - By a **** load more people than just myself too, i'm sure. Cheers. Kiwi.
x2...........

Old 11-25-2009, 11:25 AM
ruddy
Cross-Country
maybe some other simple answer?

Maybe something was lost when it was fully installed and hooked up to all the accessories?
My Son's 289 in his 66 Mustang never ran right. I didn't mind too much when he was in High School. Finally had it checked out and one of the vacuum fittings on the intake manifold was too large and was sucking up the charge to the number 8 cylinder.
Now it hauls ****! Exhaust smells better too.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:44 PM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
I don't know. That could be a starting point, but there are no vacuum leaks but I will have to look and see if there is something else to find like that. I don't know even where to start since all of the spark plugs are the right color and so on. That is about the extent of my knowlege on gas engines, I have drove them, and timed them and did stock rebuilds on a few, but this is the first one I have ever built and tuned. The other local shops tell me that the engine has too much cam and those cast iron heads won't make horsepower. That is the exact opposite than what I see on here so I guess I need to find someone to help me that is close by. I am in the Western part of Colorado, anyone in western or central colorado OR eastern Utah would be nice.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:52 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
I see my reasons for not helping people anymore holds true.
2 threads, lots of advise, no indication that any of it is sinking in...I see what you mean.....

Old 11-25-2009, 03:43 PM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
Well guys what is done is done and I have a piece of junk 460. I wish it was atleast what a stocker is but it isn't. I have no idea where to start. If my expectations aren't realistic then I need to find some that are. I looked on the 460 build page and it said that the 475-500 horse build had the same intake, dove heads, about the same camshaft, and 9.8:1 compression. The valves were big valves, same as mine, a port and polish and port match, mine has that, I have a 226/234 cam .554/.574, the proven build has .562/.565 lift and 230/236. Those numbers look relatively close to me. the proven build has slightly more cam and headers, but where am I lost? The proven engine looks like mine if I install headers. I read in another post that the pistons I have are 10.3:1 in my engine. where am I losing it at. Is there like 300 horsepower hiding somewhere that is making my valves float at 5000 rpm or what? Is there a way I could upload the engine's 3 page build sheet onto this website for everyone to see? That would clarify a lot.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:22 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Were do you come up with 10.3:1 compression with anything but dome pistons with a 95cc head. The dove head is 74cc VS the D3 heads you have at 95 just for starts.

I told you from the start how to fix it but don't listen to me.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:45 PM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
I read that on this website somewhere. A misnomer I guess. I didn't see anything about how to fix it, all i read was how to make it a 300 horsepower engine. If I wanted a 300 horsepower engine, I would have left the 460 crate engine in the truck, but I want 500 or 600 horsepower. I have no idea how to make this if I even can, but that is what I want and if I can't do it, then just tell me, someone. But 300 horsepower isn't enough, not for me. I should have bought a crate engine, but my money is already spent and it is a little late now. Hind sight is 20/20 Obviously headers won't fix this, so what? tear it down and put dome pistons, then what, a huge cam, some different heads, different rockers, what? All of the stuff in the heads is redone and I would like to use that stuff If I can, but if I can't then I guess I'll dump another $6000 on another new engine. But the block was line bored, the rotating assembly balanced, and all of that head work done. I would sure like to be able to reuse some of this stuff.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:41 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
Know what a 550-600hp 460 feels like in a truck? I do and it will make you ****e your pants. Its not something you want for your DD. 6-8 mpg, pretty snotty cam, higher stall converter, less vacuum for brakes, increased maintenance, etc.

By comparison the ~400hp 460 I had before (Rob spec'd that one too) was much more fun to drive with good manners and decent 10-12mpg. Best of all was the nut dragging torque just off idle up to about 4500rpm.

D1 block - .030
~9.5:1 comp
Big valve D3s ported
Weiland Stealth - port matched and casting flash removed
Comp x4262h cam with 926-16 valve springs (I think you can use the 924-16s though)
1 7/8 L&L headers
Holley 750 vac secondary with 1" open spacer
Duraspark distributor and MSD 6AL
HV oil pump
chrome valve covers

If I were you I'd listen to Rob.

Hey Rob, the offroad forum is no fun. Mind if I cause trouble over here for a while?

Old 11-25-2009, 06:03 PM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
I will, but Rob hasn't told me anything that I saw but that my dodge is well over 500 hp and that if i put some other heads on my 460, it will be 300 horsepower. I don't care about fuel mileage, that is the cheapest thing about owning a truck. On top of that what did you list here? Is this a 400 hp bigblock or a 500 hp and what is big valve d3s ported , port matched with casting flash removed, what is a casting flash? I know nothing about these engines but that I don't like mine. I want more power than my cummins makes. one way or another. I don't know what that is but I know it is more than I have. Rob just said that I have lots of problems with everything and that I was BSing. I'm not BSing anything, I just want a good engine. I started a new thread on this, this one was getting too long to follow for me, I'm just a farmer after all and I need lots of help.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:19 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
the list of parts I gave was from the ~400hp motor. Ill say it was definately no slouch. It wasnt the type of motor where you felt it was a dog vs a 302.

Something must be screwed up with your build. Wiped cam lobe(s), timing, carb, vacuum leak....something.

My suggestion is ask Rob politely to help you diagnose your problem. Then, once he does, buy the parts he suggest to meet your power goal. 5-600 isnt the best for a DD. You said gas is cheap....well ok...but the parts/prep work needed for this level is not.

"how fast can you afford to go?"

Old 11-25-2009, 07:11 PM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
Well, whatever is wrong it must be pretty major. I have no idea how to work on engines but I guess I will learn. Rob has sounded to me like he is very knowledgeable, but when he said that that guy had no idea what he was talking about because he had posted that the older blocks had a lower deck, then Rob told me that I was BSing about my old dodge truck, then he said I had problems in my thoughts about the horsepower there, I won't really call him a friend. I never tried to make anyone angry, I just hoped for some help. If Rob had told me that to my face, There would have been a fist fight, because I don't lie or BS about anything. I let NOONE, and I mean NOONE call me a liar.

Quick Reply: very pathetic 460