Sponsored by: Moser

Folding Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:14 PM
bholt12
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folding Tonneau Cover

I have an '09 KR w/the 5.5ft bed, currently have a color matched hard cover which looks great but is proving to be impractical for my purposes. Anyone have recommendations on a secure, lockable, foldable cover?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by bholt12; 11-17-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-17-2009, 09:35 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
yeah, many of us on here have the Bakflip HD folding cover. It locks automatically when you close it, there's no exposed latches or keyholes that you have to worry about freezing in winter or theives trying to break into. I have pics in my photo album. The place I got mine from is offering a great price, you can email me through my profile for the details.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:11 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Bakflip does not make the HD any longer. The new models are G2 (aluminum; no longer made of plastic) and the F1 (fiberglass reinforced plastic).

Other folding covers include the Fold-A-Cover, Extang Solid Fold, and starting December 1, the folding LINE-X Cover will hit the market. (Basically, it's a DiamondBack cover coated with LINE-X Xtra).

Old 11-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Islander35
New User
I have the Extang tri-fold, made from aliminum I guess. It is extremely practical and easy to put on and take off. Being that it doesn't weigh much, I am easily able to take it off or on by myself in under two minutes. The folding ability allows me to access the right amount of cargo room for hauling groceries, strollers, etc.

It has no locking mechanism but is unable to be opened when the tailgate is locked. Don't know the price as it was built into the price of the truck, but I think my Canadian dealership sell at a high price (maybe $1300). Have seen it much cheaper on American sites that sell tonneau covers.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
jmaimin
Former Vendor
Bak Industries does make the BakFlip HD. See there website at Truck Bed Covers : Folding Tonneau Cover : Bakflip HD : Hard Tonneau : Tri Fold Tonneau Covers for Trucks : BakLiner.com
They have 4 kinds of BakFlip covers. G2, HD, F1 and CS.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:20 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Well, I believe we have some confusion. I thought this was their site, which only shows three versions: BakFlip Tonneau Cover - Home

Old 01-09-2010, 05:48 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
^no that's just one of several sites out there that have the Bakflip name in them. if you look at the bottom of that website, it says BAKFlip Tonneau Cover.com by Amazing Truck Accessories LP from Conroe TX.

BAK is from CA. You can't buy direct from Bakflip. He posted their manufacturer's website, Truck Bed Covers : Folding Tonneau Cover : Bakflip HD : Hard Tonneau : Tri Fold Tonneau Covers for Trucks : BakLiner.com They are still making the HD.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 PM
jmaimin
Former Vendor
You're correct. The BAK corporate site is Truck Bed Covers : Folding Tonneau Cover : Bakflip HD : Hard Tonneau : Tri Fold Tonneau Covers for Trucks : BakLiner.com. All the information on this site is correct and up to date. Anything else you get online about the company is second hand info.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 AM
erngum
Freshman User
If it were available at the time, I would've bought the bakfip F1. I have the all aluminum HD and it gets extremely hot in the summer. I may see if I can get it Line-X'ed to keep the temp. down. The F1 is supposed to stay cooler.

PM steve for the hookup.

Ern

Old 02-26-2010, 03:08 PM
TFX4C
New User
I have not seen it mentioned on this site yet and if I hadnt seen it in person and decided it is going on my 09 FX4 SCREW I wouldnt even throw it out there, but I am going to go with the Peragon bed cover. A buddy of mine just got his on a 10 KR SCREW and he says it is great. Now he is 4 states away but I did get to see one on a new GM product and it looked very good. I am sold on it.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:18 AM
STJones
Senior User
I just installed the BakFlip F1. Very easy to install and looks great. I would recommend it. I haven't had any other tri-fold cover but is a lot better than the Leer hard cover and the soft "roll back" covers that I have owned.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:02 AM
jmaimin
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by STJones
I just installed the BakFlip F1. Very easy to install and looks great. I would recommend it. I haven't had any other tri-fold cover but is a lot better than the Leer hard cover and the soft "roll back" covers that I have owned.
That BakFlip F1 cover is really cool! I think it totally completes the truck.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
IMHO I think they are all JUNK!!!!!!!!! The latches, etc are of very poooooooor quality- you can see the lids lying on any freeway daily down here in Los Angeles. I ended up building my own cover.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:49 PM
jmaimin
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Beechkid
IMHO I think they are all JUNK!!!!!!!!! The latches, etc are of very poooooooor quality- you can see the lids lying on any freeway daily down here in Los Angeles. I ended up building my own cover.
Funny, I've never seen one on the freeway.

If you'd like to show us what you've built, maybe we can help market them for you.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaimin
Funny, I've never seen one on the freeway.

If you'd like to show us what you've built, maybe we can help market them for you.
Ask any CHP officer, they average 1 per week.

I have pics in my gallery-

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Beechkid's Album: Beechkid's Garage

Also the pics include my own-built ram air system (similar to that of the 1960's era hemi ram air) and not shown is my own-built rear sway bay that mounts above the frame, weighs 1/2 of any other bar on the market and installs in 60 minutes in any driveway requiring 2 holes to be drilled and connects with all existing Ford suspension mounting points- in terms of handling, we can run 1 mph faster in a standard salom course than the Porsche Cayenne SUV.

My more recent work includes fabricating polished aluminum-billet air conditioning vents for my 65 mustang and an integrated remote hood locking system for it as well.

Quick Reply: Folding Tonneau Cover