1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Oil Testing??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:54 PM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Oil Testing??

I have decided I'm going to put an oil bypass filter on the truck. My question is where do you get the oil tested and how much does it cost? Does it take a long time? I saw the kit on Amsoil? I still dont know wich one to buy either? Any info would be great.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I have heard about oil testing but I don't trust it myself. I am probably 100% wrong but this is the reason why: In Germany (army) I was a AOAP (Army Oil and Analysis Program) monitor. I know this was for aviation equipment originally but the wheeled vehicles were subjected to it too. I had to take an oil sample from each vehicle monthly (If I remember correctly) and bring them to lab in Mannheim where the lab was. I did this religiously. I was just a young buck sergeant at the time. We got a new motor sergeant and he laughed when I told him what I was doing. He showed me that I was waisting my time. He drained a 2 1/2 ton and put them in a big ketchup type dispenser. Every interval he did the paperwork and squirted a shot in to the bottle and delivered them. Most vehicles were OK and some needed a retest and some needed changing and every now and then it needed to go to 3rd shop. GO FIGURE, IT WAS ALL FROM THE SAME VEHICLE and the nomenclature wasn't even the same. After that I never trusted it.
This DOESN't mean it's the same way out here in civilian life. This is what I do: I change the oil every 10K miles and the filter every 5K. Just my 2 dinar

Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 PM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I change my oil every 2500-3000 miles, filter and all...

Old 11-16-2009, 08:11 PM
yoslick
Elder User
I usually change mine every 3k and I send in my summer oil change sample every year to Blackstone, costs about $22 if I recall and they will send you the bottle and mailer for free. I do my summer sample cause thats the most wear and tear due to towing a camper all summer.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:41 PM
BadDogPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
I change every 5k miles and send a sample to Blackstone every other change. Looking to change to synthetic and hope to extend my oil changes to 10k.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:31 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
One benefit to oil testing is if your injector o rings are leaking and you are getting fuel contamination, you will see it on a oil analysis, and be able to correct the problem prior to the issue manifesting itself mechanically

Old 11-25-2009, 11:28 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
I have thought about this testing but I have never done it. Probably because I am afraid of what they might find.LOL Just like going to the doctor for a wellness exam, LOL.

I change mine every 3000 miles.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:19 PM
ratatat-tat
New User
Originally Posted by bkcowboss
One benefit to oil testing is if your injector o rings are leaking and you are getting fuel contamination, you will see it on a oil analysis, and be able to correct the problem prior to the issue manifesting itself mechanically
Very good point. Regardless of what oil/filter you want to run and how often you want to change it, without oil analysis you are "flying" blind as to what is really happening in your engine.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:33 PM
TheTowingCowboy
Posting Guru
I just smell mine and if it smells like diesel oil I am happy.