Notices

5th Wheel Tailgates..

Old 11-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Pickupmanx2
Postmaster
Pickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to behold
5th Wheel Tailgates..

Well, I had the stupid attack, brain-fart, distracted damage moment
I had hooked up to our 5th wheel to move to load it, had my original tailgate on, couldn't quite reach the electrical, pulled the latch, rolled forward, got the cable, plugged it in to the truck, backed up,,,,,, wife walks over from the house,,,, my brain forgets to latch the 5th wheel.......
walk in the camper with her, check it all out, get back in the truck, start to roll backwards,,, REMEMBER something isn't right, push on the brake pedal and watch and cringe as the camper keeps moving
I was on a slight incline so the camper was stopped by my tailgate which is now a V

So, now I am looking for a new tailgate, or a 5th wheel tailgate, any suggestions, OR does anyone have a tailgate for a 96?!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:25 PM
c.f.moore
Senior User
c.f.moore is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your extremely lucky that the overhead didn't land on your bed side rails. Damned expensive.

I have a fifthwheel tail gate for '99 and up. It sets in the loft of my shop most of the time. I've pulled with both types (OEM and fifthwheel) of tailgates. Found that hooking up to be a little easier with the fifthwheel tailgate. No other benefits. A real minus in my book, is most fifthwheel tailgates will not support much weight when in the down position. I use my OEM tailgate as a work bench, impromptu seating, and extended load bed.

Since I have a roll up tonneau cover that I install when not actually towing, I leave the OEM tailgate on all the time. Tried using the cover with the fifthwheel tailgate. It worked, but I thought it look goofy.

Good luck.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Pickupmanx2
Postmaster
Pickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to beholdPickupmanx2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by c.f.moore View Post
Your extremely lucky that the overhead didn't land on your bed side rails. Damned expensive.

It did,,,, just not really bad, small dents in the top rail,,, I see it everytime I look at the truck, but hopefully over time it won't hurt so bad!

I have a fifthwheel tail gate for '99 and up. It sets in the loft of my shop most of the time. I've pulled with both types (OEM and fifthwheel) of tailgates. Found that hooking up to be a little easier with the fifthwheel tailgate. No other benefits. A real minus in my book, is most fifthwheel tailgates will not support much weight when in the down position. I use my OEM tailgate as a work bench, impromptu seating, and extended load bed.

Since I have a roll up tonneau cover that I install when not actually towing, I leave the OEM tailgate on all the time. Tried using the cover with the fifthwheel tailgate. It worked, but I thought it look goofy.

Yep, saw one with a camper shell, and one with a tonneau, looks funky, I prefer my OEM tailgate, well, not the original one, it is pretty ugly. But I plan on finding a factory one and painting it to match. I use my truck as a truck the rest of the time and I do need a full tailgate.

Good luck.
Thanks, I will keep looking for one,,

Old 11-12-2009, 09:15 PM
c.f.moore
Senior User
c.f.moore is starting off with a positive reputation.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Pickupmanx2
Postmaster
Yeah, BUT mine is a 96! and the auction reads...

NEW COMPLETE TAILGATE 99-07 FORD F350 SUPERDUTY TRUCK

Old 11-14-2009, 08:35 AM
albran
Senior User
albran is starting off with a positive reputation.
A 96 is going to be hard to find!
Try here, you'll have to give them your name, email, etc.

Salvage Parts, Salvage Auto Parts, Salvage Auto Parts Locator

Or your favorite salvage yard.

I did a craigslist search in autoparts/tailgate and got 64 hits in the Dallas area.

ab

Old 12-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Pickupmanx2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by albran View Post
A 96 is going to be hard to find!
Try here, you'll have to give them your name, email, etc.

Salvage Parts, Salvage Auto Parts, Salvage Auto Parts Locator

Or your favorite salvage yard.

I did a craigslist search in autoparts/tailgate and got 64 hits in the Dallas area.

ab
FOUND ONE!!!! From a 96!! White, BRAND NEW!! Guy had a 96, bought a 5th wheel, sold truck and trailer, still had tailgate!!
Lucky Me!!