1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

dome light problem anad other weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:02 PM
achtungeveryone
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dome light problem anad other weirdness

I have not been driving the old '70 in a month...had to replace the battery, it wouldn't take a charge. Then, with new battery it would not start, (nothing, no starter engage...) so I knocked on the solenoid 'cause I don't know any better and still no luck. The next day the truck turned right over and started.
Now the dome light wont come on, the light switch will not activate it but I noticed it on at some point while working on it. A few weeks ago my horn would not work but it worked yesterday while driving.
I'm wondering if the solenoid could cause such weirdness, since the positive connection goes thru it. I checked the fuses with a multiM for continuity and showed ok.

Any ideas appreciated,
Chris

Old 11-11-2009, 03:04 PM
mkoser
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bad connections at the battery or bad ground someplace?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 PM
ThinkBlue
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by achtungeveryone
I have not been driving the old '70 in a month...had to replace the battery, it wouldn't take a charge. Then, with new battery it would not start, (nothing, no starter engage...) so I knocked on the solenoid 'cause I don't know any better and still no luck. The next day the truck turned right over and started.
Now the dome light wont come on, the light switch will not activate it but I noticed it on at some point while working on it. A few weeks ago my horn would not work but it worked yesterday while driving.
I'm wondering if the solenoid could cause such weirdness, since the positive connection goes thru it. I checked the fuses with a multiM for continuity and showed ok.
Any ideas appreciated,
Chris
Ever check voltage ? instead of continuity? because a voltage drop would tell you what a resistance check won't, and its best to know that you have full source voltage and compare that to the other loads in the circuit because any significant drop would tell you straight up and I agree with mkoser to fact that you could have a faulty ground or a loose connection somewhere,judging by the sounds of it.