Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

75 Ford supercab w 460 at SGI

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:39 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
75 Ford supercab w 460 at SGI

There is a 460 truck a 74. Had an engine fire. It would not take much to fix. Here is a chance for someone to get a460 engine. I don't think it damaged the engine. When you think the internals of the engine run hotter. A person has to replace the carb and some exterior eng parts to have a running 460. Bids start at $500 I beleive. Black truck it does not look to be too bad of shape.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lubriaction is key when a motor catches on a external fire there is a very good chance that some part of the motor is pouched, most likely the head epandes causing warpage, its a gamble but there are many unburned 460s out there without having been on fire.

If anyone wants a supercab mid seventies ford half ton though......... lol

Old 11-01-2009, 03:44 PM
idfergusson
Senior User
I bought a 1988 5.0 Mustang from SGI once that had a fire on the top part of the motor.The paint on the heads was still good so I knew it couldn't have gotten too hot there but everything above the valve covers was melted.I used that same motor in a couple of different vehicles and never had any problems.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:09 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
When I worked in the shops. Engine that only had fires on them exteranally were still good. The heat and expansion in the engine is much hotter than a fire outside. So an external fire would not warp a engine head. Plastic valve cover can melt.
Most engine fires are caused by gas leaks or grease in excess.
My dad had a car that I drove home from work. I notice that the signal light was brighter on the outside as I pulled into the driveway. Stopped the car and what I thought was signal light was a engine fire. Ran and got garden hose and sprayed up under the car. It was grease fire from a bad wire.
All we had to do was replace vacumm hoses and plug wires and cap. Away the car went.
Now if the whole car burned, then there is a chance debris got into tye intake.
The truck has 171,000 miles on it. Nicely broke in. It would probally need a wire harness, maybe a carb, and vacuum hoses and plug wires and off it goes.
But with the 2 inspections it would be cheaper to put the motor in another truck unless you plan to keep and drive it for a while.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:19 PM
freakboy
Senior User
My brother had his ranger catch on fire two years ago before he sold it. we got it to run after it. one of the plug wires was chewed through and caught the airbox on fire.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:28 PM
idfergusson
Senior User
<CENTER><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=710><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=ApplicationTitle align=middle>FOR SALE BY SEALED BID</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=ApplicationTitle align=left>Item:</TD><TD class=FieldBox align=left>1975 F-150 (WILKIE)</TD><TD class=ApplicationTitle align=right>Stock #:</TD><TD class=FieldBox>N091990</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=ApplicationTitle align=left>VIN Number:</TD><TD class=FieldBox>F25JKX02450</TD><TD class=ApplicationTitle vAlign=top align=right>Kilometers:</TD><TD class=FieldBox>151050</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ApplicationTitle vAlign=top align=left>Particulars:</TD><TD class=FieldBox colSpan=3 align=left>460 ENGINE, 3AT, *****Damage, Mileage and Options not confirmed. *Unit is NOT at the branch location and is sold AS IS*. Vehicle hauling is at winning bidder’s expense. *Storage facility may not have information or may not be familiar with unit on bids. **Please direct Inquiries and Bids to North Battleford Salvage*****</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=ApplicationTitle width=130 align=left>Type of Damage:</TD><TD class=FieldBox align=left>FIRE</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=ApplicationTitle width=140>Inspections if Required:</TD><TD class=FieldBox align=left>Requires Mech Inspection</TD><!--<td width="25%" align="center">Click Here for Details on Inspection Requirements--></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=ApplicationTitle width=90>Location:</TD><TD class=FieldBox align=left>WILKIE, SK, CONTACT NB SALVAGE</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=ApplicationTitle width=100>Reserve Bid:</TD><TD class=FieldBox width=250>$200 </TD><TD class=ApplicationTitle align=right>Closing Time:</TD><TD class=FieldBox width=200 align=left>2 PM Central Standard Time </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=FieldBox width=200 align=middle wrap>Sales Taxes (PST & GST) – will be added if applicable .</SPAN></TD><TD width=105></TD><TD class=ApplicationTitle vAlign=top align=right>Closing Date:</TD><TD class=FieldBox vAlign=top align=left>Wednesday, November 04, 2009</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=ApplicationTitle align=middle>All VEHICLES are sold AS IS, and SGI specifically makes no guarantee
as to the vehicle's condition or accuracy of the odometer reading.
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ApplicationTitle align=middle>For steps to follow for inspections click here.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=7><HR noShade></TD></TR><TR><TD width="1%"></TD><TD class=ApplicationTitle align=middle>On-Line bidding only, bids will not be accepted at the branch:

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=ApplicationTitle align=middle>S.G.I. Salvage
11302 - 6th Ave.
North Battleford, Sask.
Phone: 306-446-1950
FAX: 306-446-3899
Toll Free: 1-800-667-1322
</TD><TD width="15%"></TD><TD class=ApplicationTitle align=left>Payment types accepted:
- Cash
- Credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express)
- Certified Cheque
- Approved charge account
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=ApplicationTitle align=middle>Note: It Is the bidder's responsibility to ensure that their bid is entered
by reviewing the confirmation e-mail.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR noShade></TD></TR><TR><TD class=ApplicationTitle align=middle>HIGHEST OR ANY OFFER NOT NECESSARILY ACCEPTED</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

Old 11-01-2009, 05:02 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Thats the ad. The truck also has the rare side tool box on the right side. From the pic it is an engine fire and the wire harness runs across the cowl where the fire was. At $200 it will go. Just a person has to go to Wilkie to get it. The trucks body des not look too bad of shape. Has the chrome trim windsheild. There would be lots of parts for use or reselling. Lots of guys looking for these old supercabs not rusted. So the cab is worth it.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 PM
idfergusson
Senior User
SGI lists it as an F-150 but the wheels look like 8 bolt and it appears to say F-250 on the fender.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:09 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Yes I noticed that also. The rims also are not the split rims that a 75 would of had. So they got changed at some time. The truck looks like it was taken care of. The low miles are probally due to the engine size. My mother had a 75 with a 460 engine. Could not afford to drive it much. Consumed fuel heavily. Used it for camping and doing stuff at the lake and hunting. She gave it to my brother who is a chevy guy, he sold it for $500. The guy who nought it threw a rod out the engine. Saw it at the wreckers. The interior got stripped out. The seats were not torn. I seen another truck around at the time that got restoredand it was that chocolate browm color. I suspect he got the interior.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:25 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

For 200 bucks, I'd even drive out there to pick up something like that! If only it had 4 doors....

Old 11-02-2009, 11:43 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Here im thinking too bad it wasnt a supercab lol.

I got my 77 f150 with a 460 for 40 bucks.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:44 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Here im thinking too bad it wasnt a supercab lol.

I got my 77 f150 with a 460 for 40 bucks.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:53 AM
freakboy
Senior User
Originally Posted by 66gpw
Thats the ad. The truck also has the rare side tool box on the right side..
Wait the side tool boxes are rare? my 150 i bought has one.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:51 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Yes they are hard to find. Look at most trucks from73-79 do not have them. Some 67-72's even have them. They are a rare option. Some dodge trucks had them as did some chevy trucks. Ford sold more of these options than the others did. I think they are great. Store the tow cable, booster cables and some extra tools. That way they are not sliding out from you seat.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:56 PM
freakboy
Senior User
Alright i didnt know that cool. I was gona use it and i knew it was there i just didnt know it was rare cause in the past month iv seen two trucks that had them. a f250 ranger and my truck i bought a 150 ranger.

Quick Reply: 75 Ford supercab w 460 at SGI