North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

NC BBQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 05:20 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
NC BBQ

Who amoung us cooks bbq, and who enjoys NC bbq? Where is your favorite bbq joint?
Mine is at home, because that is where I make it.
http://www.clubfte.com/users/jowilker/USFlag.gif
John

jowilker email me
[link:www.ford-trucks.com/users/jowilker|My Club FTE Page] Member since 01 01

[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker/NCFTE.html|NCFTO] North Carolina Ford Truck Owners Group

In the cool still quiet of night, you can hear chevies rusting away.

Old 01-25-2002, 06:05 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
NC BBQ

I love to barbeque at home and while camping out. It is to my great misfortune that I have never had barbeque NC style.

I'd love to hear some NC style recipes. I'm a mounted member of the 1st NC Cavalry, a SoCal based Civil War reenacting unit. We camp and cook in period during the weekend reenactments. So authentic NC barbeque recipes would be a big plus!

[link:www.geocities.com/Athens/Styx/9016/index.html|1st NC Cavalry]

Old 01-27-2002, 08:20 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

NC BBQ

Scott, I do have something to post about bbq, but I have had a very busy weekend, and hope to have it in a couple of days for you. Hope that you aren't out there starving waiting on my reply.
John

jowilker email me

[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker/NCFTE.html|NCFTO] North Carolina Ford Truck Owners Group

Old 01-28-2002, 06:54 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

NC BBQ

Ok Scott, I am gonna link a wonderful site decicated to traditional NC pork BBQ. It is called The Lexington Collection http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/lex.htm All the links there are highly recommended. I find them very informative, and hope that you will too.
John

jowilker email me

Old 01-29-2002, 12:14 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
NC BBQ

Thanks John, great link.
That'll keep me busy for awhile!
Looks like some good sauce recipes worth trying.
Sounds like pork is the top choice for barbecue in NC.

Old 02-08-2002, 10:12 PM
bsprowl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NC BBQ

Old 02-24-2002, 10:58 PM
bubbernator
Senior User
NC BBQ

Post Office Bar-B-Q II in Hickory, NC. Chopped and served east NC style with slaw. MMmmmmmm

Runner-Up: Bridges Bar-B-Q in Shelby (on hwy. 74) Best hush-puppies I've ever had.

Dang, now I'm hungry....gonna go graze the 'fridge.

Old 03-01-2002, 12:22 AM
tmp
Freshman User
NC BBQ

Great subject! As one that hails from the great Tarheel State (although I'm temperarily living in Richmond where I CAN'T get BBQ worth a damn) I feel that it's my god given right to voice an authoritative opinion on good BBQ. The best BBQ in the world comes from down east. Wilson's Bill Murry's and Parker's has some of the best. Clyde Cooper's in downtown Raleigh is right up there with the best of them. I just don't really go for that western NC stuff. But, I'm always interested in hearing what others think...

Old 03-01-2002, 02:23 PM
bluechow
Freshman User
NC BBQ

Let me preference this by saying, I aint from around here. We don't have anything like the eastern North Carolina BBQ in South Dakota, But I have been down here for 10 yrs. and I have loved this stuff from the start. Everywhere I go I ask the "locals" where to go to get the best BBQ, and then I go there. For the Raleigh/Cary area, most of the places I go are pretty good. I must agree that Coopers is really good. I most frequently go to Oldtime BBQ on Chatham St. Between Raleigh and Cary. They cater for us often. There is a new place in olde Cary (where Biscuit time used to be), by the mustang place on Chatham St. that is very good, and If you talk to the owner, he will chop in a little extra skin.

Now I must say, the best I have had was from an outfit located out of Durham called "Carolina's Finest Mama's Barbeque." I had this at the Durham Blues festival. They do not have a store, but are more of a catering service. The guy I talked to said they set up their truck at many different places for lunches. I have their card, and their # is 544-6043 if you want to find out where they are doing lunch on a particular day.

Now if you like pork ribs, I recomend "Red Hot and Blues" in Waverly place in Cary. Get the dry ribs.

Jeff

Old 03-01-2002, 08:45 PM
HotWhlz85
Laughing Gas
NC BBQ

Gotta throw in my $.02 worth here.........and plug my hometown too. J&G barbecue in Burlington, NC makes the best barbecue ever. Close second is Short Sugar's in Reidsville.
Yummmmmmmm........nice topic.

Old 03-03-2002, 07:34 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

NC BBQ

Anyone tried Allen & Son between Hillsborough and Chapel Hill? They are one of a few remaining joints in the state that still cook their Q over Hickory coals.
John

jowilker email me

Old 03-09-2002, 05:46 PM
75SuperCab
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NC BBQ

We ate at the Allen's between Chapel Hill & Pittsboro a couple years ago. I understand this is not the "home place" for Allen's, so your location must be. We enjoyed the BBQ nonetheless. I also found the Red, Hot & Blue @ Chapel Hill to have wonderful ribs, dry or wet--get the combo platter and you'll go home a happy camper!

John

Old 03-12-2002, 09:21 AM
guitar4him
Junior User
NC BBQ

I'm from Burlington and I have to agree with hotwhlz85 that J&G is excellent. But my favorite BBQ is Stamey's in Greensboro. Also, Carolina BBQ in Burlington is great...and they have really good flounder.

My wife and I frequently get on the motorcycle and go up to Short Sugar's in Danville, VA for breakfast. I've never had their BBQ, but if it's as good as their tenderloin and eggs...man...I'm gettin' HUNGRY.

I work in Greensboro...think I'll go to Stamey's for lunch today...I've only got to wait about 2 hours...mmmmmmmm!

Ken

1998 Expedition EB
Affectionately known as "Land Yacht"

Old 03-12-2002, 04:29 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

NC BBQ

John The one between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough on NC 86 is a wood burner. The one at Pittsboro is a gas burner. Some folks that I know wont eat BBQ cooked with gas.

Ken, I have heard about Short Sugars and it's tasty food. Stameys is one that has been around a long time. How many Short Sugars is there? Hotwhlz spoke about one in Reidsville too.
John

jowilker email me

Old 03-12-2002, 05:05 PM
HotWhlz85
Laughing Gas
NC BBQ

To my knowledge there are just the two, Reidsville and Danville. I've eaten at both and rate both very highly (I'd forgotten about the one in Danville till Guitar mentioned it). It's been a long time ago but I've eaten at Stamey's in Greensboro and the one in Asheboro too. Their barbecue is a little sweeter than I like (if my memory serves), but still mighty fine eatin'.
Even the worst NC barbecue I ever ate was pretty damn good!!

Quick Reply: NC BBQ