Hitch install advice - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Hitch install advice

Old 10-25-2009, 02:06 PM
drivembig
Senior User
drivembig is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hitch install advice

Hi, I bought this Putnam fifth wheel hitch(I now know that they are no longer in business), but I still need to install this thing and use it. I am kind of unclear on the installation.

This is the hitch. Base number is 15093.

This is the bracket.

This is the bracket on the hitch.

This is the bolts that came with it.

And this is the bed of the truck.

I may have to remove the goosneck that you see in the bed of the truck, but would rather not, because of the hole that it will leave.

My main question is when I lay the mounts in the bed, the guy I got it from said to just drill the hole through the bed and the frame and slide the bolts through and tighten them up. What about the corrugation of the bed? Shouldn't the mounts be able to lay flat against something? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:10 PM
drivembig
Senior User
I forgot to add that this is a 1995 Ford F350 Dually.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Ford_Six
Super Moderator
Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
Shouldn't there be two brackets with it?

Old 10-25-2009, 02:36 PM
drivembig
Senior User
LOL, yes there are 2 of them. I was just showing how it mounts to the hitch and what it looked like. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:45 PM
ReadOrDie_WoW
Senior User
ReadOrDie_WoW is starting off with a positive reputation.
don't mean to put a hamper on anything, but you could just get a converted hitch for your fifth wheel on the trailer and eliminate having to even deal with the hitch, they are like $200 to $300 maybe cheaper, but you will need to probably drill some holes in your frame and put up some metal L brakets to bolt the plates too (which is how the hitch is installed) will get some pics of mine tomorrow but I would rather suggest the hitch converter either way. Oh also, the hitch needs to be mounted 3 inches forwards from the center of your axle for the best ride and support on your truck, thats about it, pretty straight forward, just make sure everything is squared up.

Last edited by ReadOrDie_WoW; 10-25-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: forgot to mention....
Old 10-25-2009, 08:27 PM
drivembig
Senior User
I looked at the goosneck converters for my fiver, but actually wanted both. The hitch will mount over the goosneck ball and then I can remove the hitch if I ever need the goosneck ball. With the hitch, I can pull different fivers or goosnecks.

The only question that I have about the hitch is if it is ok for the rails to sit on the corrugation of the bed and will I need spacers under the bed between the bottom of the bed and the frame rail.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 PM
ReadOrDie_WoW
Senior User
ReadOrDie_WoW is starting off with a positive reputation.
no it'll be fine, but you can put in a thin rubber spacer just to save from scratching your truck too much, but if I recall correctly, the converter comes on and off just like whats needed to connect the fifth wheel to the hitch, I know I'm sounding like a broken record its just I'm trying to save ya some work is all :P

Old 10-25-2009, 10:24 PM
thumper869
Senior User
thumper869 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ReadOrDie_WoW View Post
but if I recall correctly, the converter comes on and off just like whats needed to connect the fifth wheel to the hitch, I know I'm sounding like a broken record its just I'm trying to save ya some work is all :P
everyone i have ever seen did just that. better off in the long run buyin the convertor.
if you use your truck bed to haul lumber, 4-wheeler, hay, anything like that you'll want to cuss those mounting rails for the 5th wheel hitch. they get in the way of sliding things into the bed like 2x4's and what not.

do you really want to have to get up in the bed, pull the pins, and lift the 5th wheel hitch out of there everytime you go to pull a honkneck?

http://www.2kstore.com/Convert/cball11.htm

here's a link to one coverter of many on the market. basically it slides over the king pin put the mooseknuckle to a few set bolts and screws then back under it and let the jack down on your gooseneck hitch. ain't nothin to it. this one comes in three fixed lengths which to buy if you got one would depend on the ride height of your truck verses whether you want the trailer to ride nose up nose down or somewhere in between. i've seen ones where you can adjust the length of the converter by pulling out a category 8 pin and sliding the inner piece of the gadget to the next hole. for saving all the time and headache spent drilling holes in the bed and frame then in the bed then under the truck( if your doin the install by yourself) plus not havin to take that hitch in and out everytime you swapped trailers. $300 don't sound bad at all.

Last edited by thumper869; 10-25-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: adding a section to the post i forgot to add. from the link down
Old 10-26-2009, 04:35 AM
kawa
Postmaster
kawa has a good reputation on FTE.kawa has a good reputation on FTE.kawa has a good reputation on FTE.
Talking

Just my $0.02. The mounting plates should lay on the bare metal. Don't put any rubber sheeting between the mount plates and the bed. Mount the hitch over the rear axle, better yet it should be just a tad forward of the rear axle for weight distribution.

There are several different types of hitches that will accommodate both the 5er and the goose neck but........you already have this 5er so you may be stuck with it unless you don't have much $$$$ in it.

Just as an after thought, you didn't mention if you have a long bed or the short. The short bed comes with it's own set of headaches unless you invest in a "Slider Hitch" so as to make it a bit more difficult to take out the cab when maneuvering sharp backing turns.

Good luck,

Rog

Old 10-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Ford_Six
Super Moderator
Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
Doesn't a converter run the risk of damaging the pin box on the 5er? I thought I read that elsewhere in this forum.
Installation is pretty straightforward, I'd just snap a chalk line along the bed mounting bolts, mount the plates on the hitch, set your center 3-4" in front of the axle, and punch mark the hole in the plate that's closest to the chalk line. Pull the whole thing back out, drill the punch marked holes through the bed and frame, bolt the plates in and mount the hitch.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Mud Doc is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think Ford_6 has it solved.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:51 AM
thumper869
Senior User
thumper869 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Ford_Six View Post
Installation is pretty straightforward, I'd just snap a chalk line along the bed mounting bolts, mount the plates on the hitch, set your center 3-4" in front of the axle, and punch mark the hole in the plate that's closest to the chalk line. Pull the whole thing back out, drill the punch marked holes through the bed and frame, bolt the plates in and mount the hitch.
yep hit the nail right on the head.

i've heard that before about the coverters but after researching it i found that its only under certain conditions. on the standard converters its max tongue weight of 6,000 and max trailer weight of 24,000. where you can get into trouble is the ones that convert but also give a so many inch offset. basically instead of the king pin being directly over the gooseneck ball. it puts it 3 to as many as 8 inches behind it. those are for short bed trucks where you would want to scoot it back for a tighter turning radius. the problem it causes is the base of the gooseneck ball and the mounting base for the king pin become high-stress area's (well higher than they already were) what's stated is that its ok and safe to use them but make sure the kingpin box was from the factory reinforced and strengthened or properly done by the owner before attempting to use the converter.

used a straight converter not one of the offset ones for five years now on a 28 X 8 toy hauler grossing 10,000 and never had a problem. pulled the converter off a few times to let a buddy borrow it for the weekend. pulled it with a fifth wheel hitch no problems there either

Old 10-27-2009, 11:10 AM
drivembig
Senior User
Ok, thanks for all the responses. I have set the hitch in the back of the bed with the mounting plates attached to it and it looks like the back bolt is actually the bed mounting bolt itself. This will set the hitch about 3-6 inches in front of the axle. I'll bolt those 2 in and then the front will line themselves up. I really appreciate all the help. Thanks.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:03 PM
TexasRebel
Postmaster
TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
If there is a gap between your bed and frame where the 5er hitch bolts up you may want to make some steel bushings so your pin weight sits on the frame and not the bed.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
drivembig
Senior User
Yea, I think that would be a good idea. I will drill my holes and where they line up I will measure between the bottom of the bed to the frame and make sure I have some steal spacers for that area. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hitch install advice

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.