Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Excursion Mods (lift, rims, tires, power)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:15 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Excursion Mods (lift, rims, tires, power)

Hi I'm new to the forum and I'm currently considering upgrading parts of my Excursion(Eddie Bauer 4x4 6.8L V10).

I currently have BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A LT285/75R16 (Load Range D) tires and want to go up to hopefully 35's.

I have my mind pretty set on the Icon Dynamics 4.5" hanger lift because it can fit 35's, but I have done some research and with the overall diameters of some of the "35's" they are 34.8" so that makes me wonder if I can fit those tires with the 3" Icon hanger lift. (I'd love to see some pics of what some of you guys are running to fit 35's)

I am also wanting to get the Raceline Competition Beadlock Series RT231 Monster Black 17x9.5 so are there any offset problems with doing this?

I also have a pair of stock 2004 F-250 4x4 Front leafs available to me and wanted to know if I were to put those on, how much lift would they give me and would that be a better, cheaper route than the hanger kit?

I also wanted to some suggestions of performance mods that I could make. I have already gotten a K&N intake on it and know that a exhaust, programmer/chip, headers, and TBS could be good but what are some good companies out there?

My whole purpose is to get 35's with the smallest possible lift.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Old 10-23-2009, 12:15 PM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I have V codes and F350 blocks on my X and 305's on the stock wheels. I know 35's would rub, but they may fit with just this and plastic trimming. I had an 03 F250 CC 4X4 with the 7.3 prior to the X. On that truck (dont know the spring code but it didnt have the plow package), I simply added a leaf to the front and F350 block and ran 315's on the stock Lariat wheels. So, in summary, if you had V codes right now, I would say a $99 set of add a leaves for the front and F350 blocks and you would be good.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:33 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by dave91gt
I have V codes and F350 blocks on my X and 305's on the stock wheels. I know 35's would rub, but they may fit with just this and plastic trimming. I had an 03 F250 CC 4X4 with the 7.3 prior to the X. On that truck (dont know the spring code but it didnt have the plow package), I simply added a leaf to the front and F350 block and ran 315's on the stock Lariat wheels. So, in summary, if you had V codes right now, I would say a $99 set of add a leaves for the front and F350 blocks and you would be good.
Are you talking about the F-250 Springs that I have available to me?

My friend leveled his 04 F-250 PSD and now runs 35's that rub. He still has the stock ones that he said he'd sell to me and put on my V10 Excursion. (are the springs off a diesel stiffer than on the gas ones?)

So with the V codes or any other smaller leaf kit I'll have to trim and stuff right?

Old 10-24-2009, 01:14 AM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have added the V & B code springs, and run the 285's. Now I have not tried to fit 35's, but I'm sure with a little adjusting on the front bumper they would work with little to no rubbing. Possibly only shimming out the bumper or trimming back the ends that come back towards the tires some. Worse case scenerio, go to an aftermarket front bumper like warn.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:48 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by wallz
I have added the V & B code springs, and run the 285's. Now I have not tried to fit 35's, but I'm sure with a little adjusting on the front bumper they would work with little to no rubbing. Possibly only shimming out the bumper or trimming back the ends that come back towards the tires some. Worse case scenerio, go to an aftermarket front bumper like warn.
haha that worst case scenario means more money to spend.

I think I have a lot more researching to do.

I also have decided not to go with the Raceline beadlocks. The fact that they weren't DOT approved didn't bother me, but that I read they are only 25psi max.

I'm gonna decide to go with their truck/suv version of the Monster II black rim, and they don't come out until January 2010

Old 10-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont worry about rubbing too much. i can only turn the steering wheel around one time on my truck and it doesnt bother me at all. you get used to it taking wide turns

Old 10-25-2009, 02:13 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ian123
dont worry about rubbing too much. i can only turn the steering wheel around one time on my truck and it doesnt bother me at all. you get used to it taking wide turns
Yeah but that'd bother me, the steering is alright now but I don't want to loose any more radius

Old 11-04-2009, 10:52 AM
YellowSled
Elder User
search for threads i have created. I did it on the cheap, with good parts.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:25 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by YellowSled
search for threads i have created. I did it on the cheap, with good parts.
Ok.

I actually have kind of decided to stick with the 4.5" Icon Hanger kit.

I'm gonna be going with:

- Single Front Reservoir shocks (will upgrade to dual later)
- Dual Front Stabilizers
- Single Monotube Rear shocks (I already have the Airlift HD airbags for when we tow)

and I'm gonna be going with these rims

Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy 7028 Series Black 18x9 (simulated beadlock, but these are the same rims that they use for their competition beadlock series).

oh and here's a pic of the HID conversion that I just recently had done. These are 6000k and later when these blow I'll probably going to 5000K so they are't so blue

low

Hi and low

Old 12-16-2009, 12:44 AM
lovestrucks
Elder User
So I've been doing some more searching and am now stuck between these lifts:

-Icon 4.5" Hanger Kit(front shackles...rear blocks)
-Icon 5" Suspension lift(front springs...rear springs)
-Pro Comp 6" front/ 4" rear lift kit from 4Wheel Parts(front leafs...rear add-a-leaf and block)
-Fabtech 6" Coil-over Conversion

Does anyone have opinions on either of these brands such as reliability price, etc? I really wan to fit 37's but the all the kits say 35's i know people trim things but what exactly do they trim and how much? I'm pretty new to all this

I'm really interested if someone has experience with the Fabtech conversion....I knew this kit has been available for the 04 and older trucks with leafs but now that it's out in a 6" kit for the Excursion I'm kinda excited to see how it does. Could it allow a better turning radius? How's the ride? etc...

I'd greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Old 12-16-2009, 01:35 AM
officer131
Posting Guru
You can do all the research you want, but you first have to stick to a price point.

I have been searching for a year now and nothing fits into my price point.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:11 PM
scottf4444
Elder User
I personally and not a fan of Fabtech and the coil over conversion is - in my opinion - pointless. If you want to fit 37's, go with the Icon 5" suspension, add the RCD front leveling kit and leave the rear blocks on. That will net you 7" of lift. You'll get minor rubbing on the front leaf springs, when the wheel is at full turn and you hit a good bump. It rides pretty smooth - with all things considered.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:38 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by officer131
You can do all the research you want, but you first have to stick to a price point.

I have been searching for a year now and nothing fits into my price point.
Yeah i got a quote a few months ago on the Icon 4.5" hanger kit with dual front reservoir shocks, single monotube rears...rims, and tires for just a little over $5,000....right in my price range. While the Fabtech kit alone is like $5,500

Originally Posted by scottf4444
I personally and not a fan of Fabtech and the coil over conversion is - in my opinion - pointless. If you want to fit 37's, go with the Icon 5" suspension, add the RCD front leveling kit and leave the rear blocks on. That will net you 7" of lift. You'll get minor rubbing on the front leaf springs, when the wheel is at full turn and you hit a good bump. It rides pretty smooth - with all things considered.

Yeah I've heard that Fabtech is very nice for having big lifts but when it comes down to bringing it out and kinda abusing it then their systems aren't that reliable.

I see that Icon has a 7" kit so I might see what that runs instead of having to get 2 different kits. I know I want dual front reservoir shocks and just single monotubes in the rear because I have the Airlift air bags, but are there any benefits to having rear reservoirs and should I go this route? And the Icon 7" kit says it has progressive rate springs..what does that mean? We also tow so is there any type of springs I should stay away from on the count of having the rear sag too much under the weight even with the airbags?

thanks

Old 01-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Xv10
Senior User
lovestrucks,
I have a 2004 EX V10 4x4 and did some modifications recently. Have a look at my following thread for more details on the mods plus photos:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-v10-4x4.html

hope this might be of help.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:38 AM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Xv10
lovestrucks,
I have a 2004 EX V10 4x4 and did some modifications recently. Have a look at my following thread for more details on the mods plus photos:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-v10-4x4.html

hope this might be of help.
Yep....it should help.....It sounds like she is looking for the exact same thing you were Stefan..........yours turned out nice !

Quick Reply: 2005 Excursion Mods (lift, rims, tires, power)