Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Oil Pressure. (Problem or no??)

Old 10-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Old Wanderer
New User
Old Wanderer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oil Pressure. (Problem or no??)

I have a 1990 F250 4X4 with a 5 speed xmision. I bought this truck new and has 250,000 miles. For the past 100,000 miles, sometimes when I fire the turck up, the oil pressure will be right at the bottom of the green arc on the pressure gauge, then some time later I might shut if off, and start again, and the needle is in the middle of the green arc.

This all started suddenly when I had an oil chage one day. It is predictable, and has remained steady for the past 5 years. (I usually only drive this truck if I am going several hundred miles), so it may set for weeks or even months without starting.

I found this site last night, and read through many of the post, and seems like there is a good knowlege base here...so thought I would post the question.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
blueeyedfordguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford f250 huh? Which engine? 300 big six, 351 windsor, or 460? What type of oil did you put into it? My oil pressure was really weird on 10w30, but it is great on 10w40. Is your oil at the right place on the dipstick? Oh, a big thing that I noticed with oil presure: with my truck I have recived better oil pressure off puralator, and carquest oil filters compaired to fram filters I have had bad oil pressure. But If none of these are to blame you may have a good friend or someone at a shop to check with an auxilary oil gauge. I have used these on diesel engines. It tells us how good the oil pressure is mechanicaly after the oil pump (i think someone can help me on this) this is one of the best routes to take. But, after the truck warms up where does the needle go to? I used to drive a 88 f250 with a 351 w that always the oil pressure was in the green. It was a truck at my job, and they insured me it was a ford thing... The engine ran well, but low oil pressure is a bad thing, and feeling to have. It really is one of the worst. I don't know guys am I any help at all?

Old 10-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Old Wanderer
New User
Old Wanderer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Opps...sorry

I have the 7.3 diesel engine in the truck

Old 10-18-2009, 07:40 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
the only way to know your oil pressure is by using a mechanical gauge.

the dash gauge is a glorified idiot light.

it should only move if pressure drops below 7 psi. but it can move because sender is bad.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:44 PM
wolfsmurf
Senior User
wolfsmurf is starting off with a positive reputation.
i would agree with the guys above. get a mechanical gauge and see what it says. my 99 ranger will sometimes have NO oil pressure but run fine and quiet for a few miles then....POOF the needle will jump up to the correct place. its an idiot light as ql2 said.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:21 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
blueeyedfordguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah, i guess just with working on diesel engines and all thats just the first thing I ever do when that problem occurs, is hook up a mechanical gauge. It will tell you if you really have a problem with the oil pressure or not. But not nessisarily the problem if you do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.