1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Vintage Hood Locking System & THE CLUB...Cheap security!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:02 PM
overlandexpress
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Vintage Hood Locking System & THE CLUB...Cheap security!

When I was a kid my dad had a chain style hood lock on his truck, I was thinking about it the other day and wondered if one was still available, I looked on ebay and found one brand new for $6.95 with another $5.95 for shipping, ($12.90 Total). I ordered it and once it showed up I installed it on my 66 F100. Makes for cheap security in a high theft world, it works great, was easy to install and comes with two keys. There are 4 screws on the locking mechanism, two are covered when the chain is latched so someone can't unscrew them, this along with the use of THE CLUB steering wheel lock makes it harder for a thief to steal your baby. Next I will install a cut off switch! Here's a few pictures.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Better get that kill switch installed because a 12 year old with a hacksaw and a screw driver will be driving your baby away hood locked.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:25 AM
overlandexpress
Senior User
COOL.... Thanks for the negitive comments, at least I am trying to keep my truck safe rather than bagging on someone thats trying to help others keep their's safe!
even if my attempts at securing my truck keeps my battery from getting ripped off from some crack head or even slows them down enough that they get caught it will be worth it.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:44 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the chain lock. I already use the club. Someone posted somewhere a "padlock" security fix...anyone have pictures of that system? Also, does Autozone, etc. carry the chain locks?

Old 10-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Broomfieldbum
Laughing Gas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I like the idea. I happen to have the best security system known to man for mine. It's called 3 on the tree. The nmber of punk kids who could find first number less than 5 nation wide. And for those who could, getting to second would likely end up stuck between gears, and then I just have to catch up to them, and find the abandoned truck.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:26 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I like it!! took another route, drilled a hole in the hood release lever and use a small padlock. Fortunately have not had problem with stealing, kids in the area don't know what the third pedal is all about and the small padlock seems to have detered them from breaking into the engine compartment. Anyhow, thanks for sharing and posting pic's.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:47 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Redmanbob was just pointing out a known shortcoming of using a chain. Even easier than a hacksaw would be a can of refrigerant that makes the chain very cold and easy to break. Favorite way to rip off bikes in San Francisco which have chains used. Now it will deter the opportunist which fortunately most thieves are. What I did, when I used points, was to wire my ignition through my lighter. When the lighter was out the circuit was broken until I put the lighter back in. With Pertronix I just disable the distributor when I might leave one of my cars. Even in my locked garage they are disabled and I even forget when I am out there trying to start one of the cars and it won't. Then bing... I remember I took a part out and put it away.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:05 PM
customcab66
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you get that truck from prineville or? Like the security system i agree in trying to keep my hard work safe

Old 10-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by customcab66
did you get that truck from prineville or? Like the security system i agree in trying to keep "MY" hard work safe

Your hard work???? please expand on this.

Nice truck you have there! good luck on keeping it safe.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:56 PM
customcab66
Elder User
just that i have alot of hard work in my truck. That truck there looks like one from my home town

Old 10-18-2009, 09:01 PM
overlandexpress
Senior User
I purchased the truck from a guy in Bend Oregon, he may have bought it from prineville, It was a 7 Hour trip one way for me to get it but was well worth the effort as it is pretty much rust free and it's hard to find them not all rusted out around where I live. Hey customcab66 if you know who owned it in Prineville let them know I would like to talk to them about some of the work the truck has had!

Old 10-18-2009, 09:07 PM
customcab66
Elder User
not sure who he was seen him at the car show after the parade before the fourth down at the local bi-mart

Old 10-18-2009, 09:36 PM
overlandexpress
Senior User
Look, we all know that if someone wants it bad enough they will figure a way to steal it, but doing something is better than nothing, all i'm saying is for a $12.90 investment for the hood lock and another $5 for the club steering wheel lock at a yard sale I have under $20 into some basic security for my truck, yes a thief can defeat it if they want it bad enough but the harder I make it for them the chance is that they may go and find an easier target. Once I add an ignition cut off switch and a fuel line shut off they will have to figure out a lot to steal it! My 2002 F150 was just broken into and they stole my BRAND NEW $1500.00 stereo so i'm pretty hot right now. Seems like a perfect life for thieves these days, you steal and you make lots of money and if you get caught the courts lay out the red carpet and give you free rent and 3 squares a day, but if I catch them and hurt them I get sued and loose my job when I go to jail for assault, if I'm in jail I can't pay my bills, so I get bad credit, Plus, I get a criminal record, and all for protecting my property.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:56 AM
IsoGrifo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All good ideas, and I agree with them all, most effective idea you put out there was the fuel cut off switch, people can get around an ignition cut off and start the truck up completely in the bay with a screw driver and a wire from the solenoid to the coil. but a fuel cut off, now that my friend, is a good idea!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually I was pointing out the fact that thieves simply cut through the steering wheel, pull it back and remove the club. Its a 2 min job at best. I'd consider 2 things for the truck.

1. kill switch (which some are crafty enough to override) 2. fuel cut off (which may be the only thing that saves it).

Fortunately I don't need any of these because I own a couple of American Rednose Pitbulls who happen to love their truck. And a GUN, incase they somehow manage to get away from the dogs

But thanks for being a a 6 year old about having the lights turned on.

Quick Reply: Vintage Hood Locking System & THE CLUB...Cheap security!