1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 f-250 PSD battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:19 PM
bgblktruk
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 f-250 PSD battery problems

Hi guys, I've had a problem with the passenger side battery dieing. I guess I should add its a diesel in case anyone missed that in the title. This is the second battery that ford has installed and its died again. I don't have any after market accessories in the truck and I haven't used it in anyway that I can think would cause a battery to die. Any thoughts or knowledge of problems with Motor Craft batteries or the passenger

Old 10-09-2009, 03:51 PM
bgblktruk
Tuned
Beyond starting does anyone know which loads each battery handles?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:53 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
The two batteries are wired together, in parallel. All loads pull from both batteries. If you had two batteries fail on one side, that must just be coincidence because the current draw is equal. Unless there is a bad cable connection or something like that.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:02 PM
bgblktruk
Tuned
2 Bit Californian, now thats just funny right there.

Thanks I assumed that would be the case from looking at the wiring although I couldn't figure how both times the same battery would die. So now I guess I'm going to check the wiring to that battery.

That sure would be some coincidence wouldn't it.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:11 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
You know what the special forces say - there is no such thing as a coincidence.

I really cannot guess why that one battery would fail twice, but batteries on these trucks should always be changed together in pairs. Don't ask me how the other battery could cause that one to fail, but faced with your situation I would change them both with identical 850 CCA from Interstate. I would also have my alternator thoroughly tested.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:17 PM
bgblktruk
Tuned
Thats the reason I'm posting this and not just taking it to Ford, I don't want to just change parts. I definetly will be checking the alternator and having Ford test both batteries. Never served but I'm with special forces on this one.

Thanks for the help and damn fine lookin truck! I'll have to add a couple pictures to my gallery and you'll think you're looking in a mirror.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:28 PM
57fomoco
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bpounds
You know what the special forces say - there is no such thing as a coincidence.

I really cannot guess why that one battery would fail twice, but batteries on these trucks should always be changed together in pairs. Don't ask me how the other battery could cause that one to fail, but faced with your situation I would change them both with identical 850 CCA from Interstate. I would also have my alternator thoroughly tested.
We always change batteries in pairs on all of our trucks and equipment. If you don't you will just continue to have problems. I sometimes keep the good side after I test them and use them in gas rigs and get the rest of their life out of them. You just can't let them sit around to long or they will go bad from sitting and then they are junk.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:38 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If one battery stays good and the other keeps dying then I would check for unequal circuit resistance between alternator and both batteries. If there is a high voltage drop to one battery and not the other then it will result in unequal charging.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:39 PM
bgblktruk
Tuned
Update...The battery was replaced again by ford after this post and they also changed out the alternator. Unfortunately the same thing has happened again. Fortunately I was that sucker that paid for the extended warranty. I expect I've already gotten my moneys worth on that one. So Fords got the truck again and we'll see what they come back with this time.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 PM
redford
Received 1,596 Likes on 933 Posts
They need to replace BOTH batteries.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:05 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be sure to let us know what happens.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:56 AM
57fomoco
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are lots of things that affect battery life like the drivers side on some trucks are covered in a plastic box and are exposed to different temperatures , trucks that idle alot have a low output at idle from there alternators so idleing and short trips limit battery recovery, if a truck is not driven daily or for long enough runs the batterys won't get fully recharged from the draw that the glow plugs and starting take. Tempature has alot of effect on battery life. In Vegas it gets pretty hot and that likes to kill batterys, cold weather also takes it's toll. The batteries that the Ford dealer installs under your warrentee are not always the same grade of battery that came in your truck. Ford and most other companys make an agreement with battery suppliers to supply generic replacement batteries. they are usally a fairly low end battery and the stickers are stuck on in the battery dealers warehouse before they are delivered to the dealership. You made it almost 2 & half years by changing one battery, I would just dump both of them and put 2 good quaulity new ones in and enjoy the truck. Interstate Battery has several grades that I have had good luck with. They even make a MT65 that has 1000 amps that we use in some of our Cat equipment that also take a group 65 battery. The main key is buy good quality from a reputable supplier that keeps there inventory fresh, long shelf time will make a battery go bad much sooner the same way not driving your truck will. Good luck

Old 02-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Pa Teich
5th Wheeling
I agree with the sentiment that both batteries should be replaced. Back in November I was having much weirdness with my 99 F-350 PSD. Some days would start fine, next day no crank. After frustrating myself for a week or so I ended up replacing the starter and both batteries. And repairing the 3/0 gauge cable which runs from the passenger side battery to the starter. Ever since, no issues. 13 degrees out? Forgot to plug the truck in last night? No problem, cranks up just fine. I figure the $300 plus for starter and batteries was less than two psychiatrist sessions. :-)

Old 02-13-2012, 02:33 PM
bgblktruk
Tuned
Talked to Ford this morning. They say both batteries are no good now and outside of warranty. Apparently the battery the installed under the warranty work only comes with a one year warranty. So basically since they wouldn't replace both at the time the alternator was found to be bad I now have to replace two batteries on my own dime. I suppose I should have seen this one coming down the road. Anyhow gonna pick the truck up and get two new batteries and save about 200 on what they wanted to change and install. I'll save the 2 bills and put those toward something for my truck or my lovely lady on Valentines day.

I'll update should I find out any more information. Thanks for the input guys.