Summit Exhaust Systems

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:10 AM
nmd003
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summit Exhaust Systems

Are they any good? Maybe something like this Summit SUM-684012 - Summit Racing® Cat-Back Exhaust Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I have 2 gas tanks so can't go with dual exit. I'm primarily looking for something that can help with gas mileage and power and not sound too bad.

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:37 PM
A1C DiMaggio
Senior User
honestly kits are never gonna be "the best". kits were made for a tight budget and not necessarily the best materials. they aren't going to sound the best, not the best performance, and not the best gas mileage. custom is the best way to go. find a muffler you like, pair it with a nice aftermarket high flow cat and bring it to your local muffler shop. it may cost a little more, but the results will be more satisfying. i have a full new exhaust (cat muffler and pipe) installed for $275. it is way better than the pieced together system i had before.

just my opinion

Old 10-07-2009, 01:45 PM
nmd003
Senior User
I see. I should be good to reuse my stock piping right? All the bad piping was replaced about 1.5 years ago when the muffler was replaced with another stock one. The piping should be 2" if I remember correctly.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:17 PM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
Can't have dual exhaust because of dual tanks??? That's another thing, when you build your own custom exhaust, you can shape it to your needs (and around your gas tanks and spare tire) I plan on running 2.5 inch duals on mine.....

Old 10-08-2009, 10:04 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered a cat-back dual tailpipe set up from JEGS. I have dual tanks. This was one of the best sounding set ups I've heard on the 300. Awesome idle, good sounding rev, no rice. I would find it for you but I suspect my efforts would be in vain.

Are you on a budget? If not, allow me to suggest deleting one cat and replacing the other with a high-flow. Muffler of your choice with a full length tailpipe.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:13 PM
nmd003
Senior User
Yeah I'm on a budget, I'm trying to concentrate mainly or restoration efforts but a nice exhaust would be great as well. So you're pretty much proposing running only one cat (high flow) with a muffler? Do you recommend a certain muffler?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:00 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
i would recommend some kind of a turbo muffler if you dont want it loud and if you want it loud straight pipe it

Old 10-08-2009, 01:00 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nmd003
Yeah I'm on a budget, I'm trying to concentrate mainly or restoration efforts but a nice exhaust would be great as well. So you're pretty much proposing running only one cat (high flow) with a muffler? Do you recommend a certain muffler?
It sounds to me like you aren't wanting something loud and nasty, just a nice mellow sound? The cat-back I ordered came with dual chrome tips; these tips also served as louved (as in none-smooth on the inside) glass packs. Because of this, and because you are on a budget, I would suggest ordering a short (12'' or so) glass pack. The cheapest way you could do this is to cut off your second cat, instal the glass pack and re-use your exsisting tailpipe. Instal pipe as needed. Inexpensive compared tp a custom shop or kit.

The ultimate in cheapness for a good sound would be to simply delete the muffler and dump it under your truck's bed. The 300 has a really nice sound with both cats and no muffler.

Check YouTube for sound clips. Just keep in mind the 300 can sound good, but just as easily sound like a 4-cyilinder import.

I have a flowmaster on mine. I personally like it but the cat-back with dual glasspacks I ordered from Jegs sounded much nicer. It has a very noticble V8 idle and mellow rev. The Flowmaster has a quieter idle and more of a buzzy tone.

Just whatever you do, stay away from magnaflow. They are way too quiet for our quiet 300's. It's a waste of money.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:03 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Why do all my posts these days sound like I was drunk when I wrote it out? They make sense in my head. Just ask me if you need me to re-write someting, lol. Sorry.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:10 PM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
I remember when the stock U-clamped exhaust on my dad's 300 fell apart [cant remember where] and the thing sounded like a damn toyota.....

Old 10-08-2009, 02:54 PM
A1C DiMaggio
Senior User
i beg to differ bill. i have a magnaflow high flow cat on mine, magnaflow universal muffler and 4" tip at a 70 degree angle behind the passenger tire. its quiet but sounds pretty good. besides im in germany and their exhaust laws are insane. they actually use a decibal meter at each inspection.

i just got my truck here in germany so i will put up a video on this thread when i get the chance

Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 86sixbanger
I remember when the stock U-clamped exhaust on my dad's 300 fell apart [cant remember where] and the thing sounded like a damn toyota.....

I'm not the only one here who has ran their 300 with no muffler. Other men will chime in and agree; it sounds exactly like a tractor going down the road with both cats and no muffler. I don't know why yours sounded like a 4-popper.

Originally Posted by A1C DiMaggio
i beg to differ bill. i have a magnaflow high flow cat on mine, magnaflow universal muffler and 4" tip at a 70 degree angle behind the passenger tire. its quiet but sounds pretty good. besides im in germany and their exhaust laws are insane. they actually use a decibal meter at each inspection.

i just got my truck here in germany so i will put up a video on this thread when i get the chance
You beg to differ with me.. but agree with what I said? What?

Old 10-08-2009, 03:57 PM
A1C DiMaggio
Senior User
i agree with what you said about the straight pipes and the 300 sounding like a tractor.

i disagree with the stay away from magnaflow. if you are looking for loud dont go with magnaflow. it has a very good sound, just quiet. like i said, i have strict sound laws to cope with

Old 10-08-2009, 04:12 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by A1C DiMaggio
i agree with what you said about the straight pipes and the 300 sounding like a tractor.

i disagree with the stay away from magnaflow. if you are looking for loud dont go with magnaflow. it has a very good sound, just quiet. like i said, i have strict sound laws to cope with
What are you doing clear in Germany? Seems like I remember you saying you were a radio man..?

Edit: by the way, I'm running a magnaflow muffler on our V6 Escape. It really doesn't sound bad.. has a real nice tone to it. it's just too quiet for my taste.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:38 PM
nmd003
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
It sounds to me like you aren't wanting something loud and nasty, just a nice mellow sound? The cat-back I ordered came with dual chrome tips; these tips also served as louved (as in none-smooth on the inside) glass packs. Because of this, and because you are on a budget, I would suggest ordering a short (12'' or so) glass pack. The cheapest way you could do this is to cut off your second cat, instal the glass pack and re-use your exsisting tailpipe. Instal pipe as needed. Inexpensive compared tp a custom shop or kit.

The ultimate in cheapness for a good sound would be to simply delete the muffler and dump it under your truck's bed. The 300 has a really nice sound with both cats and no muffler.

Check YouTube for sound clips. Just keep in mind the 300 can sound good, but just as easily sound like a 4-cyilinder import.

I have a flowmaster on mine. I personally like it but the cat-back with dual glasspacks I ordered from Jegs sounded much nicer. It has a very noticble V8 idle and mellow rev. The Flowmaster has a quieter idle and more of a buzzy tone.

Just whatever you do, stay away from magnaflow. They are way too quiet for our quiet 300's. It's a waste of money.
Would swapping the muffler out for a section of straight pipe give the same sound as dumping it under the bed or no? I definitely wanna go for a V8 type of sound. Tractor sound works for me too. And what option would be best for performance? I read that as far as the cats go, it's only worth getting a high-flow cat if you spend over $150 on it; that the magnaflow cats don't make much of a difference.

EDIT: I only know about 4-banger exhausts so this is like new territory for me, even though I've had the truck for longer than I've had my car.

Quick Reply: Summit Exhaust Systems