1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:31 AM
kiwi
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any ideas?

Hi can anyone advise/show me a pic of how a 56 front fender should fit against the cowl panel and rocker panel i have replaced the rocker panels with parts from BOTP but the fender hits the lower lip of the rocker and prevents the fender being pushed up to meet the cowl panel properly leaving a gap at the lowest part of the cowl panel.sorry i will try to load a picture tomorrow.
Thanks!!

Old 10-02-2009, 07:10 AM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
This area seems to be a problem area even with the stock steel fenders,..sometimes the fender welt will close the gap,..sometimes the steel fenders actually"spring-out" and straighten when installing, some folks "tweak" or otherwise modify the fender for better fit-with or without fender welting...lot's of choices.Do what you think is best for your case or desires/looks..Good Luck!

Old 10-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After I replaced my cowl panel, I had the same fit problem. I had to grind some of the lower flange off the cowl to allow the fender to raise up and nest to the cowl contour. Check to see if the fender attach holes at the cowl line up. Grind enough flange away to line them up.

I hope you attached the inner cowl doubler to the cowl before installing it. That is a lot easier than attaching it later like I did.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:59 PM
kiwi
Junior User
thanks guys, not having another truck in the area to compare with makes things a bit hard so your input is much apprecated!
I have been thinking i'd trim a bit of the bottom of the rocker for clearance but did not want to start cutting things till i had a better understanding about whats going on, so to find out others have had the same problem means its less likely i have done something wrong!!
Randy i did put the inner fender brace on first (i read a thread on fte about it some time ago) and every thing else lines up like bonnet hinge mounting holes etc etc.
Thanks again.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:18 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
After thinking about this a little today, I remembered a couple of more points...Cos I was in your situation not knowing which way to go.Should I cut the cowl panel..or the fender?
I remember someones advice on this site (probably that AX guy LoL!) recommended to make a cardboard pattern of the cowl inward curve area in question(hold the cardboard "vertical")..and compare it to the other side of the vehicle. There "are" slight differences between repo panels.I ended up cutting a slice across the bottom and up both sides and pulled the area out to meet the fender, then,made a cardboard pattern and traced that onto some scrap metal I had cut out earlier (See..it helps to save some stuff for awhile..)..then cut a small sliver of scrap and filled that area.Tack things in place only..see that your fender mount bolts align/fit .Follow the door/cowl as if it were one big panel.. Lots of compromises can be made,.try to look at the fender/cowl and running board as three pieces that should "flow" together. Fit everything before paint for a nicer finished product.
I went to several different shows with a camera and took snap-shots of as many"good" examples of alot of different trucks of the area in question..I thought I was going crazy...So your not alone...and your on the right track..LoL! Keep it Fun and Good Luck!