Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

looseing Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:56 PM
LonnieD
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looseing Brake Fluid

My 93 F350 4x4 crew cab is leaking Brake fluid. It seems like it's coming from where the master cylinder bolts on to the device mounted on the firewall (not sure what it's called) could it be just a bad gasket between the two parts? I watched it while the engine was running and the brakes were depressed nothing came out so it must be a slow leak while she sets. I don't her much, but it is wet underneath the cyclinder. Suggestions? To remove the MC do I have to do anything specail other than refill fluid and maybe bleed it?

Old 09-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That's the booster, and there isn't a gasket there. Your master cylinder has failed. This is more common on vehicles that are not driven much, corrosion will build up in the cylinder and then cut the rubber piston when the brake pedal is moved.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 PM
LonnieD
Elder User
Fix?

Ok so I need to replace the MC...looks like a simple unbolt add then bolt on...is it a complex problem to replace? Also would it leak just setting there?

Old 09-26-2009, 11:27 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Yes it is a simple R&R. clean the brake line fittings before reasembly especially the flare on the line, a little emery cloth or steel wool works great. Yes you will have to bleed the air out after installation on the brakes. It should come with instructions to bench bleed or prime the master cylinder before installing on the truck.. and yes they can leak just sitting.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:54 PM
LonnieD
Elder User
thanks my friend can't wait to get her fixed!!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:56 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, you should NOT wait to get it fixed. These are your brakes.

You have gotten good advice in response to your post. Bench bleed the new m/c before bolting in place, then bleed and flush the entire brake system.

For future reference, completely flushing the entire system every two years to get all new fluid in place will absolutely prevent hydraulic problems regardless of how often the vehicle is driven.

Remember, don't take any chances with your brakes. See to this issue immediately.