6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Picky little problems Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 04:55 PM
LibTimothy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picky little problems Fixed

Hi Guys an Gals!
</O
I just got home from the Ford dealer and my truck ('08 350 dually with the 6.4 diesel) is now fixed. I know some of these are picky little problems, but I am happy they are fixed.

My first problem was, I thought there was too much soot coming out the tail pipe. This was the third different Ford dealer I took the truck to looking at this problem. The first two said "Looks OK to me..." which did not fill me with confidence. This last dealer (get ready for a shock) pulled the codes and found a sticky EGR valve. I guess I won't know for certain if this is fixed until I wash the truck and drive a few miles, but at least these guys looked for a problem.

My other problem was the drain water separator message kept coming up after about 15 minutes of driving. There was some water in the fuel (unusually heavy rain made lots of problems locally), but not a lot. On my previous trip to the dealer for an oil change the diesel tech recommended that I put the fuel additive in and re-filled it with diesel. Unfortunately, the warning kept coming on. So, the diesel tech inspected the separator, recommended that I change the fuel filter, and cleaned everything. Now it runs great and there is no warning message.

Also the tech noticed a leak at the transmission (I did not know the 6 speed manual had a cooler) and that was taken care of before it became a problem.

So, I got great service, and all my problems fixed. The truck is running great and I'm a happy camper!

I just had to share a good experience.

Timothy<O</O<O</O<O</O

Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Originally Posted by LibTimothy
Hi Guys an Gals!
</O
I just got home from the Ford dealer and my truck ('08 350 dually with the 6.4 diesel) is now fixed. I know some of these are picky little problems, but I am happy they are fixed.

My first problem was, I thought there was too much soot coming out the tail pipe. This was the third different Ford dealer I took the truck to looking at this problem. The first two said "Looks OK to me..." which did not fill me with confidence. This last dealer (get ready for a shock) pulled the codes and found a sticky EGR valve. I guess I won't know for certain if this is fixed until I wash the truck and drive a few miles, but at least these guys looked for a problem.

My other problem was the drain water separator message kept coming up after about 15 minutes of driving. There was some water in the fuel (unusually heavy rain made lots of problems locally), but not a lot. On my previous trip to the dealer for an oil change the diesel tech recommended that I put the fuel additive in and re-filled it with diesel. Unfortunately, the warning kept coming on. So, the diesel tech inspected the separator, recommended that I change the fuel filter, and cleaned everything. Now it runs great and there is no warning message.

Also the tech noticed a leak at the transmission (I did not know the 6 speed manual had a cooler) and that was taken care of before it became a problem.

So, I got great service, and all my problems fixed. The truck is running great and I'm a happy camper!

I just had to share a good experience.

Timothy<O</O<O</O<O</O

I would like to hear the final results on the sticky EGR valve. Did they change it out to the new version or just clean it? Also, let me know if it solved the soot in tail pipe issue as others have had this issue.

thanks,

Old 09-26-2009, 07:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
that is great news! do your drain your separator monthly as recommended? That would be my only recommendation to help with the water issue. Other than watching where you get your fuel.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:58 PM
LibTimothy
FTE Chapter Leader
Sawtooth, They replaced the EGR valve. I'm going to clean the side of the truck today and I'll know if the soot issue is solved next week for certain.

Senix, No I was not draining it monthly. I missed that instruction, but I plan on doing it from now on. And I plan to change stations for a while, but the old one was so darned convenient to go to... Oh well.

Timothy

Old 09-27-2009, 09:13 PM
sbaset
Junior User
I thought you were supposed to drain the seperator when you change out the fuel filter which is every 20K miles. Not monthly, unless I missed something too.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:12 AM
sawtooth
Elder User
Originally Posted by sbaset
I thought you were supposed to drain the seperator when you change out the fuel filter which is every 20K miles. Not monthly, unless I missed something too.

The manual says drain it once a month i think. Or it may say drain it at each oil change. I know for sure its more often than alot of people think.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:10 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by sbaset
Books says monthly

Old 09-28-2009, 08:21 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Books says monthly
yeh, they must assume you have a lift to get down there to flip that lever.. ugh..
(4x2 is too low to slide under)

Sam