Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Fiberglass Tonneau Covers which one??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:54 PM
jetset
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Fiberglass Tonneau Covers which one??

I've decided on a fiberglass tonneau cover for my 09 F150 5.5. I've spotted a few on the road but have not seen any up close. I'm looking for pictures?? or advise. I was considering either the Raider LoRider or the Leer 700 series. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:37 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Snugtop tonneau.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:59 PM
snapshot
Junior User
Leer

I have the Leer 700 series on my 2001 - it replaced an Extang soft tonneau that was great in the warm weather but very difficult to manipulate in the cold.

The Leer is well made, weathertight and looks nice (painted to match), but it is heavy and expensive. These wrap over the top of the tailgate, so you need to unlock and open the tonneau to open the gate - a bit more secure but a bit less handy.

The real problem with this type of tonneau is that it reduces the utility of the bed for carrying anything higher than the rails. It would take at least two people to remove the tonneau, and when it is removed you need someplace to store it where is won't get scratched, crushed or otherwise damaged. Then you need two people to put it back.

For my next truck (2010 XLT 4x4 long bed, HD) which is arriving soon I am planning on Line-X and perhaps a folding tonneau cover that one person can easily remove. The one I looked at (can't recall the brand, it was offered by the Line-X place) does not wrap over the tailgate, so it might be less secure and weatherproof than the Leer, but it is handy to be able to open the tailgate without lifting the cover.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:40 PM
bnk190
Freshman User
Had an ARE LSII Series and loved it on my last truck. Would get one again in a heartbeat if I was going that direction.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would want to see any tonneau installed on a 2009/10 truck bed and whether it complements the truck's lines before I would consider buying it. I saw a 2009 today with a fiberglass tonneau (couldn't see a brand name) that looked absolutely horrible where it overhung the tailgate. The way the new tailgates flare back at the top, maybe no fiberglass top would look good covering it. When you spend the kind of money these tops cost, they ought to enhance the look of the truck, not detract from it.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:53 AM
bnk190
Freshman User
Here is the link for ARE. Click on the LSII for a larger picture.

http://www.4are.com/product/truck_update.php

Old 09-21-2009, 12:07 PM
FrogmansF150
New User
Have you looked at Retrax at all

Old 09-21-2009, 09:46 PM
moab_cj5
New User
I just got my DiamondBack Truck cover last week. It was cheaper than the Fiberglass covers, and more useful as you can put up to 1600 lbs on top of the cover.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
I HIGHLY recommend it!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 AM
philcomm
New User
Undercover

Look at the Undercover unit--it only weighs 55 lbs and is one half the price of fiberglass. I can put it on and take it off by myself. It comes black, but can be painted--extremely strong. Go to undercover.com

Old 09-22-2009, 12:49 PM
KRMick
New User
Checkout the SnugTop SnugLid. I did a lot of research before I ordered mine. I had an UnderCover on my '04...and just didn't think the black would look good with my Royal Red truck. Even though I liked being able to remove the UnderCover by myself. And, I didn't like the humpbacks on the A.R.E. So, it came down to the Leer and SnugLid. And, the SnugLid is the lowest profile fiberglass lid, and the lightest, at about 100lbs. That's almost 50 lbs lighter than the Leer. My wife and I have no problem removing it and reinstalling when we want. And, I've had it in some pretty good rain storms, with not one drop of leakage. I had a leakage problem with my UnderCover everytime it rained. Also, the carpet lining on the SnugLid matches my BedRug perfectly.

Checkout my SnugLid album here for more pics: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...p?albumid=4277

2009 F-150 4x4 King Ranch, Royal Red/Pueblo Gold, 5.4L FFV, 6-Spd Auto, Sony 700W Nav/Radio, Pwr Rear Window, Pwr Moonroof, Rear View Camera, Heat/Cooled Front Seats, Skid Plates, 20" Aluminum Wheels, Trailer Brake Controller. Added: SnugTop SnugLid TC tonneau cover, BedRug Bed Liner, Carriage Works Lower Bumper Grille, King Ranch Hitch Plug, Lumar Tint 20%, AVS VentVisor Window Deflectors.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:09 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
I read a post regarding the Century Evolution fiberglass cover, I think it looks pretty darn good (even though it's on a Dodge!), see pic below.

Fiberglass covers are nice because they are painted to match your truck. But, other than that, there's not much utility to them if you need "utility". The Undercover is not fiberglass but it has way more utility.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
KR Mick, that is a nice looking rig and the tonneau top is a real clean fit. When the time comes for me to go buy one, that is the look I want.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:48 AM
KRMick
New User
Originally Posted by Going_Going_Gone
KR Mick, that is a nice looking rig and the tonneau top is a real clean fit. When the time comes for me to go buy one, that is the look I want.
Thanks...and I agree with your other post as well. That's why I researched these lids for a month before I finally made up my mind on the SnugLid. And, even then I debated between the single-lock or double-lock. Then, I read a post from a guy who installs covers and agreed with his reasoning as to why the double-lock is best...and went that route. Finally, I like the way it turned out.

2009 F-150 4x4 King Ranch, Royal Red/Pueblo Gold, 5.4L FFV, 6-Spd Auto, Sony 700W Nav/Radio, Pwr Rear Window, Pwr Moonroof, Rear View Camera, Heat/Cooled Front Seats, Skid Plates, 20" Aluminum Wheels, Trailer Brake Controller. Added: SnugTop SnugLid TC tonneau cover, BedRug Bed Liner, Carriage Works Lower Bumper Grille, King Ranch Hitch Plug, Lumar Tint 20%, AVS VentVisor Window Deflectors.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Hockeybandit16
Junior User
KRM, did they ship that to you? I see there's only one dealer in the US.
If you don't mind, how much was that painted and shipped? I'm in the market right now for one..Thanks

Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 AM
KRMick
New User
Originally Posted by Hockeybandit16
KRM, did they ship that to you? I see there's only one dealer in the US.
If you don't mind, how much was that painted and shipped? I'm in the market right now for one..Thanks
Well, they're made in Long Beach, California...but have dealers all over the country. Go here and put in your zip code to find the nearest dealer:
Snugtop - Custom Fiberglass Manufacturing, Truck Cap & Tonneau Top Covers, Camper Shells Tops, Customized Truck Toppers, Pick Up Truck Canopy

The nearest dealer to me was 3 hours away. However, after I called them, I found they had a sub-dealer in my town. So, I ordered it through the sub-dealer in my town, and they said it would arrive in 2-3 weeks...but it took 1 week and 5 days.

If there's not a dealer listed near you, call the nearest one and ask if they might have a dealer near you. Like I said above, when I called the dealer 3 hours away, they also gave me the two Ford dealerships in the area as their sub-dealers. However, both Ford dealerships wanted to charge me way more than the truck accessories place I bought it from.

Anyway, painted to match the Royal Red of my truck with paint code "UK" shipped from Long Beach, California to Texarkana, AR and installed...$940.

That's hard to beat. Mine is the SnugLid TC, which has two locks. They make another just like it, except with a single lock...the SnugLid SL. It is about $200 more.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Tonneau Covers which one??