1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Where Do I Find Sound-Deadening Material?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 06:23 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LEckart
Two or three years ago Fatfenders (Dewayne) found a product at Home Depot or Lowes that they use to repair gutter leaks. It is a sticky back black material and works pretty well for sound absorption and is economical compared to the high end stuff. I found some in the gutter/roofing department but can't recall the name. As I recall it came in rolls of 6-8" width. It would be applied first to a clean surface, then the insulation material on top.
They also sell a similar item; it's self-stick butyl-rubber flashing that's used to seal windows and doors. However, the Zilla-mat seems to be competitively priced.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Blacksnake
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like it

ZIlla mat is the butyl rubber 50 mil, I am very happy with it but I know people who have used the Dynomat Extreme and it is what it says, Extremly insulating (Noticable over regular dynama) and its extremly expensive. Ryan

Old 09-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I checked out the dynamat store. $200. The Zilla will be about $100. I will compare the gutter repair material and report back for any others that may be following this thread. (I hope it doesn't put off any odors or fumes. Maybe that's why we haven't heard from Dewayne lately?) Thanks for the input everybody. :-) Jag

Old 09-21-2009, 01:05 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
I'm doing the same thing I was planning on doing mine this coming weekend but may have to put it off. What type carpet are you using? I was going to lay down the sound deadening and get carpet from a shop and cut it myself and have them sew the edges if they would go for that.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
I bought a roll off the Ebay. It's grey fine pile. There will be no edges showing as I am tucking it under the SS edge guardes. I am going to have the upholstery guy put some edging around the floor mats for me. Good luck, Jag

Old 09-21-2009, 06:47 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I bought Dynamat Extreme off Amazon, the best price I could find. It will dampen vibration and has a little bit of thermal insulation but not much. I sprayed two coats of Lizardskin on first, followed by the Dynamat. Lizardskin advertises a 40% reduction in heat transfer.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
I checked out the dynamat store. $200. The Zilla will be about $100. I will compare the gutter repair material and report back for any others that may be following this thread. (I hope it doesn't put off any odors or fumes. Maybe that's why we haven't heard from Dewayne lately?) Thanks for the input everybody. :-) Jag
I have been running this stuff for about 4 years and 80k miles. No problem so far.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:07 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by LEckart
Two or three years ago Fatfenders (Dewayne) found a product at Home Depot or Lowes that they use to repair gutter leaks. It is a sticky back black material and works pretty well for sound absorption and is economical compared to the high end stuff. I found some in the gutter/roofing department but can't recall the name. As I recall it came in rolls of 6-8" width. It would be applied first to a clean surface, then the insulation material on top.
I'm a liitle slow to respond these days. It's called Peel and Seal. Lowes sells it in 6" x 25 foot rolls if memory serves. It's a roofing and gutter product. It's about a buck a square foot. After installing it in four or five vehicles I can say with some confidence it is quite sufficient for about 90% of your vehicles. I wouldn't use it on a transmission tunnel if I lived in AZ. I know it will stay put on a door panel in 95 degree temps for many years. My truck is very quiet and has a performance audio system with small subwoofers. Dynamat is wonderful stuff, and something similar is required if you have a 1000W audio system. Other than that, it is extreme overkill for most of you. The Zilla sounds similar to stuff I buy from Elemental Designs audio called eDead. I'll have to check their prices on the good stuff. Bottomline, anything that is dense like tar or butyl rubber will be more than sufficient to absord vibration and noise from any Effie that doesn't have a stupid loud stereo with bass. Save your money for something more important. You can come back here and eYell at me if I'm wrong.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:37 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The same material as the peel and seal is sold in wider rolls as ice dam preventer in colder climes. If you live where ice dams are unlikely to form, your building supply depot should be able to order it for you.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:02 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
The ice dam I used lacks the aluminum layer peel and seal has, but if would make a good first layer and it's cheap.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:34 PM
cbass139
Senior User
Dewayne and Ax,
Do these products stick well enough to use under the head liner on the roof as well as the verticle surfaces?

Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cbass139
Dewayne and Ax,
Do these products stick well enough to use under the head liner on the roof as well as the verticle surfaces?
Have I used it on roofs? I have, but I would probably recommend using something rated for more heat. I have had zero failures with Peal and Seal, but I generally just use it on floorboards, doors, cab back walls etc. Whole trick to permanent install is to apply to a clean surface and warm up the Peal and Seal with a hairdryer or heat gun. I use a small roller, and use a screwdriver handle for the tight curves. It easily conforms to curves if it isn't cold. I've seen the expensive stuff fall off other peoples cars if the install was careless. Here is a link from Elemental Designs Audio.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_24ntal

It's butyl rubber. Note the thickness differences. Thats' most of the price difference. Rated for install at 50 degrees without warming it up. I;d warm it anyways if it's not hot out. I installed some last year on my wifes Escape. The price has come down. UPS shipping of course. I live 200 miles away so it's not expensive for me. If anyone orders , be sure you are buying butly rubber versions v45 and v120 are butyl. The v4 is closed cell foam and is for the back of plastic door panels. I also avoid the liquid. I have used it on plastic door panels as well. Not worth the hassle to me, when stick on works.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...17-81326-PS625

This is a link to Lowes Peal and Seal. It is a dense tar with an aluminum backing. Really no cheaper, but no shipping charges for most people. Perhaps Home Depot has it too?

Old 10-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
All good information. I'll have to remember this link for next time though. I got lucky last week and won a big box of the Dynamat at the Sacramento Vintage Ford monthly car show. It had 36 square feet total which is more than I needed. The install is done and the noise is way down. Thanks for help everyone. Jag

Old 10-12-2009, 05:12 PM
xtrmlow
Freshman User
I just did my whole cab floor and door panels with SecondSkin Audio brand. I won 2 boxes totaling 40sg ft from a local show over the summer. They had a silent auction and won that for $25 and then won a $100 gift certificate to DTS for $10.

I regret it now but I gave the certificate to my buddy so he could use it on his project

Old 10-13-2009, 03:02 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I use the stuff that looks like HD bubble wrap with aluminized mylar on both sides from my local Home Depot on roof. Attach it with 3M spray upholstery glue sprayed on both the sheet metal and insulation.

Quick Reply: Where Do I Find Sound-Deadening Material?