Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Removal of intake manifold on 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 08:03 AM
Malik Bond
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello I have a 2000 Ford expedition xlt but I need a intake gasket .my engine is from a 2001 Ford expedition 5.4 Triton does the 2000 & 2001 have the same size intake gasket ??

Old 03-06-2016, 04:15 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
where are you buying the gasket ? The auto store will normally confirm the gaskets are the same. I can think of no reason the two would use a different gasket.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:35 AM
Malik Bond
New User
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
where are you buying the gasket ? The auto store will normally confirm the gaskets are the same. I can think of no reason the two would use a different gasket.
I was getting it from auto zone @Steve a mechanic had informed me that it would probably be a little off but wanted a second and more experienced opinion so I thank you for the information/reply alot!!

Old 03-31-2016, 06:29 PM
Kelly Cota
New User
PVC O-Ring

I replaced the intake manifold using the Dorman kit last year. Ever since I have had a vacuum leak. I can hear it coming from the back of the intake. I have replaced a few items and have improved it but still have the leak.

Finally today when I was reading it struck me. I don't think I got or used the o-ring on the intake elbow. I'm not sure if I still have the o-ring or if there even was one. So I have a couple of questions.

1) Where can I get an o-ring (size, style, etc.)

2) How do I get the elbow out so I can get the o-ring on?

Thanks - first time poster, long time reader. I certainly have learned a bunch and could not have done the work without the willingness of people to share their experiences.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-31-2016, 09:11 PM
blupupher
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelly Cota
I replaced the intake manifold using the Dorman kit last year. Ever since I have had a vacuum leak. I can hear it coming from the back of the intake. I have replaced a few items and have improved it but still have the leak.

Finally today when I was reading it struck me. I don't think I got or used the o-ring on the intake elbow. I'm not sure if I still have the o-ring or if there even was one. So I have a couple of questions.

1) Where can I get an o-ring (size, style, etc.)

2) How do I get the elbow out so I can get the o-ring on?

Thanks - first time poster, long time reader. I certainly have learned a bunch and could not have done the work without the willingness of people to share their experiences.

Thanks in advance!
I had the same issue, my kit did not come with an o-ring for that either.
I contacted Dorman and they sent me a new one in 4-5 days, no charge. I can't remember if I e-mailed them or used their online chat.
To replace it, you just need to twist the little elbow piece counter clockwise very firmly. I broke one of the retaining tabs doing it, but it has stayed in place with just the one. It is a pain to get to with everything in the way. you could take the intake off to get to it better if you can't get it off.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:26 PM
Kelly Cota
New User
blupupher,

Thanks for the intel. I appreciate the help. I think I can get to it without having to take the intake off. I really hope this solves the issue. 99% sure I didn't put any o-ring on. Crossing my fingers.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:48 PM
blupupher
Tuned
Check the rubber elbow on the back of the tube that goes from the PCV to the back of the intake first. That is a common failure area, and sometimes you need to take it off and bend it to see if it is cracked.
On mine, I sprayed some carb cleaner (using the straw) right where the elbow connected to the manifold and found that is where I had the vacuum leak.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:56 PM
Kelly Cota
New User
Just tried the live chat with Dorman. No soup. The person I was chatting with suggested searching on Amazon or contacting a dealer. Not too confident in either one of those options. I think the next step will be to call Dorman and see if speaking to someone will yield better results.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:58 PM
Kelly Cota
New User
Originally Posted by blupupher
Check the rubber elbow on the back of the tube that goes from the PCV to the back of the intake first. That is a common failure area, and sometimes you need to take it off and bend it to see if it is cracked.
On mine, I sprayed some carb cleaner (using the straw) right where the elbow connected to the manifold and found that is where I had the vacuum leak.
I have already replaced the rubber elbow. The old one was stretched and too big and also leaking. Putting the new one on improved the situation. I know the plastic elbow feels loose as I can wiggle it. Pretty sure that it is not air tight.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:57 PM
mjbtexas
New User
any suggestions on how to clean out the holes just in case any junk got in? can I vacuum or hit with air compressor? Any suggestions welcome

Got dorman on order, changing valve cover gaskets and plugs while im here.

thanks

Old 03-30-2017, 04:08 PM
mjbtexas
New User
Originally Posted by 2002fx4122
Mine didn't come with an O-ring at least that I seen so I installed it without one. It would make sense to use an O-ring or something. I ended up wrapping Teflon tape on the threads and it fixed it until yesterday. The tape finally gave away, now I have an extreme vacuum leak again at the elbow and the truck is running like crap. I'll have to limp it back home and fix it right this weekend.
do you have pics of what you're referring too? im elbow deep in the start of this and dont want to miss a thing!

Old 03-30-2017, 04:42 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
you can vacuum out the port with a small vacuum cleaner. If you want to use a smaller hose, get a small piece of 1 inch plastic pipe / pvc pipe, garden hose, etc and duct tape to your 2 inch vacuum line........
the o-ring he is talking about is on the plastic vacuum hose BEHIND the intake manifold, up against the firewall... look close and repair when off... hard to get to it afterwards.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:11 PM
duanew
New User
Great forum, so far I've not had a question I couldn't find an answer for. But now, I need to fix this leak and would like some advice. Is there a good reason to buy the new Dorman intake manifold rather than fixing the old one? I like the idea of keeping the original Ford manifold instead of replacing it if I can. Time without the truck and cost aren't really big issues, I'm just curious which way is the best.

Thanks much,

Duane

Old 09-21-2017, 09:05 PM
Daewoo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been running the Dorman manifold for about 4 years and have no downsides to note. I do like the OEM manifold when it comes to the nice "coil hold down" bolts instead of the chintzy dorman self tapping screws.
Originally Posted by duanew
Great forum, so far I've not had a question I couldn't find an answer for. But now, I need to fix this leak and would like some advice. Is there a good reason to buy the new Dorman intake manifold rather than fixing the old one? I like the idea of keeping the original Ford manifold instead of replacing it if I can. Time without the truck and cost aren't really big issues, I'm just curious which way is the best.

Thanks much,

Duane

Old 09-21-2017, 10:40 PM
blupupher
Tuned
Originally Posted by duanew

Thanks much,

Duane
Not sure what year you have, but if you have the composite manifold and is the original, you are looking at a part that is at least 14 years old, and will eventually become brittle and crack, as well as the OEM having issue with the coolant crossover leaking Is that is what is leaking on yours?).
When I had my engine replaced, they put new gaskets in with the old intake. I did not think twice about it, till less than a year later I started to have a leak from the crossover.
Do you have to use the Dorman, no, but you should replace the intake it if you are taking if off. I know Dorman uses an improved design in the crossover, not sure if a new Ford one does or not.
I have had no issues with the Dorman on mine (except for the first one not having the PCV elbow o-ring and an install mistake on my part). I agree the self taping screws for the coil hold down are not ideal, but it works, and I (and others) have had issues with the OEM inserts stripping in the intake, so the Ford design is not perfect either.

Quick Reply: Removal of intake manifold on 5.4L