6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Problem with turbo - F250 2006 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:21 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Problem with turbo - F250 2006 Diesel

Asking for a friend:

Every time I tow my light weight travel trailer my check engine light comes on. Ford has to clean the turbos. It is still under warranty for a few more months but I see this as an expensive problem when the warrenty is up plus not having my truck for several days. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Please ask your friend for the code he is getting. Also, does the truck sit for long periods between use? Normally this condition would be termed "lot rot" because the turbo rusts from lack of use and the veins stick. Also, how many miles on the engine?

Old 09-11-2009, 02:08 PM
90F250351
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 05 just threw a code the other day after it took a 3000 mile trip across country. it was a P0299 - turbo charger underboost?

Old 09-11-2009, 02:26 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
P0299 is a fault that sets when the difference between EP and commanded EP exceeds the limit for more than 30 seconds. It's caused by the following: Faulty EP sensor, VGT valve slow to respond, stuck VGT valve or a faulty PCM. EP being exhaust pressure. If your truck seems to be performing "OK" then it's probably from stuck turbo veins or a crapped up EBP sensor. It could also be caused by something your module is doing or commanding that the PCM doesn't like. Remove the module and see if the code returns. If the code doesn't return, use the module for a trotline weight and buy an SCT that won't trash your tranny.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
90F250351
Senior User
i cleared the codes out last night and drove it with the module still in it and the light didnt come back on. I took the module out today b/c i had an appt at the dealer for them to look at it but they wouldnt let me leave it b/c the light isnt on anymore.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Liberty58
New User
I know this thread has not been active for a few years but I need to ask some questions. I too believe the turbo is dirty due to lack of use or sitting for long periods betweens use. Yesterday I was towing my trailer and the engine light came on so I continue to drive but after a short period the wrench light (limp mode) came up as well and I lost power to the turbo. I drove it for a 100 KM then shut it down. Restarted it after a 30 minutes and the wrench light went away and the turbo work ok. I pull and recreational trailer so it does not get a lot of use which I believe is not good for this engine. A diesel mechanic told me to see the truck if you don't run it often as you do more damage to it. I need a bigger truck to pull my trailer. I keep this truck stored in a dry garage when not being used. Is there anything I can do to keep this turbo cleaner when not being used? Is there anyway to clean or maintain this turbo?

Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 PM
C_H_M
New User
I have a very similar problem as described by Liberty58. Any other possible solutions other than paying the minimum $2500 to replace the poorly designed turbo?

Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you're going to let the truck sit for long stretches I would recommend maintaining fresh oil with Rev-X additive and when it's in service, limit the idling durations and drive it like you stole it.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:06 PM
C_H_M
New User
Thanks BW, I was thinking the same thing about giving it a good workout whenever possible. I will try the REV-X too.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:14 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,120 Likes on 1,017 Posts
The REV-X isn't really necessary either.... just use a good synthetic 5w-40.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Mich6.0
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the truck sits the turbo will rust at the unisom ring and center section, Like other people have said drive the truck hard to break the rust, make the turbo go to full boost to cycle the vgt vanes to full movement. After the warranty runs out if you are mechanically inclined it will take you about 2hrs for the first removal and then the times come down fast as you get more proficaint

Old 09-19-2012, 08:01 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by C_H_M
I have a very similar problem as described by Liberty58. Any other possible solutions other than paying the minimum $2500 to replace the poorly designed turbo?
I would scan it see what DTC come up

going to need a good scanner to pull wrench DTC if the CEL is on most scanners will pull that DTC

You need to also check BARO,MAP,EBP,MAF sensors as a bad one of those will mess with it

And Finally you can clean turbo instructions in tech folder

I used to not drive mine very often maybe every 2-3 weeks and let it warm up and then GIT ON IT make the Veins go threw the Full range motion a few WOT runs will do it if you dont have a Gauge if you do have a gauge you can watch VGT% and see the veins Move Basicaly (It has no Position sensor so FWIW but if runs Good then Odds are the Veins Move OK)

Old 09-20-2012, 12:54 PM
C_H_M
New User
First of all, many thanks to all the fine folks on this board that provide so much valuable information. I have been reading (there is a lot to read) as much as I can about the 6.0 and how to maintain and improve it.

Update on VGT:

Problem may be solved. Code was "turbo underboost". Dealer fix was replace the VGT with new improved version that does not rust. $2500. I was reading many of the issues on this forum and yesterday I decided to try a EGR disconnect. Wow! I have a new truck.
Prior to disconnect the turbo psi would only boost if I went full throttle and then it took 4.5 seconds to engage. The power always felt like a snail in mud and fuel economy was 13.4 best possible.

After disconnect, the psi gauge shows some involvement at all speeds and bounces to 30 psi at full throttle with only a very slight delay. The truck is very responsive and calculated MPG is 15.4 at 65 mph. It seems like this diesel/vgt combo was designed and built to run this way, and that maybe the EGR setup was an after thought to meet epa standards. Anyway, I have a totally different truck right now, and time will tell if this is a permanent fix.

I hope it is ok that I did not post this in the rather massive EGR thread, as I thought it was applicable to this discussion.

One disclosure that may have affected the large prior and current performance differential is that I have 35 inch tires but the speedo and shift points were adjusted by the dealer.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if you have an SCT but if you get one you'll like your truck that much more.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Canadianpowerstroke
Senior User
Originally Posted by C_H_M
First of all, many thanks to all the fine folks on this board that provide so much valuable information. I have been reading (there is a lot to read) as much as I can about the 6.0 and how to maintain and improve it.

Update on VGT:

Problem may be solved. Code was "turbo underboost". Dealer fix was replace the VGT with new improved version that does not rust. $2500. I was reading many of the issues on this forum and yesterday I decided to try a EGR disconnect. Wow! I have a new truck.
Prior to disconnect the turbo psi would only boost if I went full throttle and then it took 4.5 seconds to engage. The power always felt like a snail in mud and fuel economy was 13.4 best possible.

After disconnect, the psi gauge shows some involvement at all speeds and bounces to 30 psi at full throttle with only a very slight delay. The truck is very responsive and calculated MPG is 15.4 at 65 mph. It seems like this diesel/vgt combo was designed and built to run this way, and that maybe the EGR setup was an after thought to meet epa standards. Anyway, I have a totally different truck right now, and time will tell if this is a permanent fix.

I hope it is ok that I did not post this in the rather massive EGR thread, as I thought it was applicable to this discussion.

One disclosure that may have affected the large prior and current performance differential is that I have 35 inch tires but the speedo and shift points were adjusted by the dealer.
CHM what did you do for a EGR Disconnect did you just unplug from the EGR Valve

Quick Reply: Problem with turbo - F250 2006 Diesel